"Encanto" Coming Fall 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah? You got evidence that Encanto is selling as many dolls and toys and cereal and whatever as Frozen did?
I would point you to a statement by the CEO at a quarterly call in which lying to shareholders has significant consequences as evidence, but, since you have pretty much claimed that he's a liar, with no evidence to back that up, that's not going to get far with you.

But, I'm not trying to get you to change your unproven theories, I'm here to make sure everyone reading what you're typing realizes how conspiratorial it is, and takes it into account when reading your posts.

Have a good day.

Magenta Panther

I would point you to a statement by the CEO at a quarterly call in which lying to shareholders has significant consequences as evidence, but, since you have pretty much claimed that he's a liar, with no evidence to back that up, that's not going to get far with you.

But, I'm not trying to get you to change your unproven theories, I'm here to make sure everyone reading what you're typing realizes how conspiratorial it is, and takes it into account when reading your posts.

Have a good day.

And yet there are Disney shareholders who want to fire Chapek for some reason. You have a good day too.

tcool123

Looks like another Frozen phenomenon. Mediocre film with mediocre music strikes a chord somehow. But Encanto will be unlike Frozen because the merch sales won't be nearly as good, despite what Chapek says. Oh, and Encanto's box office totals aren't anywhere NEAR Frozen's level. The pandemic played a role in that, sure. But how much is the question.
I will say this, purely anecdotal and keep in mind supply chain issues, I have been going to the parks pretty consistently with Animal Kingdom every other week. I consistently stop by the Encanto merch section, and far less products are being offered. There are no dolls of Isabella, Mirabel, Luisa, or Antonio left when I checked. A few shirts scattered here and there, and the ornament which came in either close or after Christmas. Stuffed animal wise only a capybara was left and a few Antonios.

doctornick

It is also worth pointing out that the box office numbers for Encanto were bad, but it didn't take off until after it hit Disney+. And apparently the streaming numbers have been massive. It seems like it not only did well with people watching it once, but having tons of repeat (and repeat and repeat) viewing like what has happened with Moana. I suspect the those numbers are why Chapek and company view it as a "franchise" worth mentioning to investors.

I actually think the short theater window before it would be for "free" on D+ totally undermined the box office.

Sans Souci

I watched this over the weekend. It really wasn't on my radar for some reason, so I went in blind.

I really enjoyed it. It's like an animated Gabriel García Márquez novel. They really nailed the "roles" children play in dysfunctional families--the golden child, the hero/caretaker, the scape goat/black sheep. It's really kind of a family drama about generational trauma with a lot of heavy themes, so I can understand why people might not like it.

Tom P.

And yet there are Disney shareholders who want to fire Chapek for some reason. You have a good day too.
You know, it actually is possible for a CEO to be bad at their job while also not being dishonest in shareholder meetings where lying has serious legal consequences. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. Chapek can be telling the truth and people still have reason to want him fired.

DCBaker

Premium Member
From an interview posted yesterday with Lin-Manuel Miranda -

"Last week Bob Chapek referred to this as the company’s new animated franchise.

Did he really?

Yes.

If I go to Disneyland, I’m going to get some sweet VIP access.

Have you started working on anything new?

No. I’m literally learning from you that Chapek said that. I talked to him and said, “I know there’s a world in which this casita lives in a theme park and we get to actually walk through it in real life.” And that’s really exciting, but the other byproduct of all these characters is that there’s a lot more folks want us to explore and a lot that’s being explored in fan art all over world. I don’t know what form that takes. I don’t know if that’s an animated series. I don’t know if that’s a second movie. I don’t know if that’s a stage adaptation where we have a little more time to go deep. I think it’s all possible, but we had no conversations about what they actually are."

Disneyfanman

I absolutely fell in love with Encanto when it hit Disney plus. I liked it better then Raya (though I enjoyed that one too) and much more than Luca. I would put it above most Disney flicks in the past 10 years. I know that tastes differ but the theme of family conflict resonated and I absolutely loved the music. I also have several friends that call it a pale 2nd to Coco. So I am not alone in my passion for the film, but I am not the majority either.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
In four and a half weeks on D+, Encanto has been watched for 7 Billion minutes. That's about the same as watching the movie 700M times. That's about like everyone in the U.S. watching the movie twice.

EDIT: Oops, I divided by 10 instead of 100. It's the equivalent of watching Encanto 70M times.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You'll soon be hearing 'Bruno' on the radio...

This Week on Billboard's Hot 100:
# 1 We Don't Talk About Bruno (#1 last week)​
# 8 Surface Pressure (#9)​
#31 What Else Can I Do (#27)​
#20 Family Madrigal (#20)​
#38 Dos Oruguitas (#36)​
#50 Waiting on a Miracle (#48)​
#75 All of You (#77)​
#100 Colombia, Mi Encanto (new)​

On Billboard's 200 for Albums:
#1 Encanto (#1 last week)​

# 1 We Don't Talk About Bruno (#1 last week)​
#10 Surface Pressure (#8)​
#33 What Else Can I Do (#31)​
#41 Dos Oruguitas (#36)​
#53 Waiting on a Miracle (#50)​
#71 All of You (#74)​
#-- Colombia, Mi Encanto (#100)​

#1 Encanto (#1 last week; 5 weeks at #1)​

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
# 2 We Don't Talk About Bruno (#4 last week)​
#10 Surface Pressure (#14)​
#31 What Else Can I Do (#77)​
#43 Family Madrigal (#66)​
#44 Dos Oruguitas (#71)​
#65 Waiting on a Miracle (#87)​

#1 Encanto (#3 last week)​

# 1 We Don't Talk About Bruno (3 weeks at #1)​
#10 Surface Pressure (#8)​
#33 What Else Can I Do (#27)​
#41 Dos Oruguitas (#36)​
#53 Waiting on a Miracle (#50)​

#1 Encanto (#1 past 5 weeks)​

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

It is also worth pointing out that the box office numbers for Encanto were bad, but it didn't take off until after it hit Disney+. And apparently the streaming numbers have been massive. It seems like it not only did well with people watching it once, but having tons of repeat (and repeat and repeat) viewing like what has happened with Moana. I suspect the those numbers are why Chapek and company view it as a "franchise" worth mentioning to investors.

I actually think the short theater window before it would be for "free" on D+ totally undermined the box office.
I think that's largely because no one wants to go to the theatres yet. I certainly don't feel ready, even though I did see it in theatres right after it came out. But we rented out the whole place to ourselves. I probably wouldn't have gone if we didn't. Kids loved it and got to dance in the aisles and stuff.

doctornick

I think that's largely because no one wants to go to the theatres yet. I certainly don't feel ready, even though I did see it in theatres right after it came out. But we rented out the whole place to ourselves. I probably wouldn't have gone if we didn't. Kids loved it and got to dance in the aisles and stuff.
Didn’t stop people from going to see No Way Home.

doctornick

I don't know what that is! :eek:

Not sure if you are serious but... Spider-Man: No Way Home came out only a few weeks after Encanto and domestically is the third highest grossing movie of all time. Worldwide it is the sixth highest grossing film of all time and it has done that without a China release.

Point being, people were willing to brave COVID for a compelling movie even during the height of Omicron.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Didn’t stop people from going to see No Way Home.
*raises hand*

Huge Marvel fan. Haven't been to a movie theater in two years and no plans to ever return.

Really bites trying to avoid spoilers for months, but waiting for blu-ray release.

Waited for Eternals to get to Disney+ and will do the same for future MCU.

Any other films I'll wait for streaming or go without.

Dear Prudence

Not sure if you are serious but... Spider-Man: No Way Home came out only a few weeks after Encanto and domestically is the third highest grossing movie of all time. Worldwide it is the sixth highest grossing film of all time and it has done that without a China release.

Point being, people were willing to brave COVID for a compelling movie even during the height of Omicron.
Omg, no, I literally had no idea what you were talking about. I knew the new Spider Man movie was really big, but everyone was just calling it Spider Man and not No Way Home. Thanks for this!

Edit: I figured out how I just missed this whole phenomenon. My uncle was dying right when it came out. I would have missed all of that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom