News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

LSLS

I completely feel that. If I had my way Dinosaur would be fixed, not replaced.

From what I've seen, we're getting more scenes, a unique story a bit removed from the "something goes catastrophically wrong" trope, and a beautifully designed land... on par with Asia and Africa.

Until the checks are cut, we'll see, but I went from "oh no" to "oh! Okay!" pretty quickly.
Yeah, it's strange I feel better about Indy than I do about Encanto here. Guess I can envision how a story COULD be put together to make it fit for Indy, but I'm struggling with Encanto.

Also, Coco getting stuff here and BBTM seems really weird. I get people making the case Encanto is big (not sure as big as it's getting put in the parks, but besides the point), but I've never seen anyone make the case that Coco is a huge movie that should get forced in all over. Wonder what data is telling them Coco needs decent representation in multiple parks.

Timothy_Q

Wonder what data is telling them Coco needs decent representation in multiple parks.
They're adding all the animated movies that are almost always trending on Disney+ that still don't have rides

Moana, Encanto, Zootopia, Coco, potentially Cars, Lion King

The Leader of the Club

Yeah, it's strange I feel better about Indy than I do about Encanto here. Guess I can envision how a story COULD be put together to make it fit for Indy, but I'm struggling with Encanto.

Also, Coco getting stuff here and BBTM seems really weird. I get people making the case Encanto is big (not sure as big as it's getting put in the parks, but besides the point), but I've never seen anyone make the case that Coco is a huge movie that should get forced in all over. Wonder what data is telling them Coco needs decent representation in multiple parks.
I believe the data lies in visitor demographics. Disney is trying to appeal more towards the Hispanic audience, since more and more Hispanic guests visit WDW each year. Coco & Encanto are great resources that focus on Hispanic stories while appealing to everyone.

LSLS

They're adding all the animated movies that are almost always trending on Disney+ that still don't have rides

Moana, Encanto, Zootopia, Coco, potentially Cars, Lion King
But that's the thing, I have yet to see where Coco was trending. I can see using the streaming data to try and stuff Encanto places (though again, I'm not sure as much as discussed), but not Coco. I think the closest I got was in 2021 it was 13th among streamed movies on D+. It feels like adding a ride in DAK plus a land in MK is an awful lot, especially when Moana has a walkthrough and maybe a ride coming, and that is STILL tops of the streaming.

flyerjab

But that's the thing, I have yet to see where Coco was trending. I can see using the streaming data to try and stuff Encanto places (though again, I'm not sure as much as discussed), but not Coco. I think the closest I got was in 2021 it was 13th among streamed movies on D+. It feels like adding a ride in DAK plus a land in MK is an awful lot, especially when Moana has a walkthrough and maybe a ride coming, and that is STILL tops of the streaming.
This gets back to what I had mentioned earlier. Bob’s IP mandate is forcing Imagineering to scramble for IPs related to a desert location. How many of those exist that are/were popular, relatively recent (and Coco is stretching the term recent) while fitting that theme? That is why some of the rumors - Carsland, Toy Story western saloon setting - I actually believe to be true. I don’t believe that Braden’s “sources” are far off. There really aren’t that many IPs that check off all of the boxes.

And this is Bob’s huge blunder with his “genius” business model. Limiting source material to build out a land diminishes creativity while stretching thin the cohesiveness of a single unified, themed land. If Iger said just make me a desert based land, no IP mandate, the Imagineers could probably come up with numerous concepts. Instead, they are locked in to a precious few IPs to choose from. It’s such a shame.

celluloid

This gets back to what I had mentioned earlier. Bob’s IP mandate is forcing Imagineering to scramble for IPs related to a desert location. How many of those exist that are/were popular, relatively recent (and Coco is stretching the term recent) while fitting that theme? That is why some of the rumors - Carsland, Toy Story western saloon setting - I actually believe to be true. I don’t believe that Braden’s “sources” are far off. There really aren’t that many IPs that check off all of the boxes.

And this is Bob’s huge blunder with his “genius” business model. Limiting source material to build out a land diminishes creativity while stretching thin the cohesiveness of a single unified, themed land. If Iger said just make me a desert based land, no IP mandate, the Imagineers could probably come up with numerous concepts. Instead, they are locked in to a precious few IPs to choose from. It’s such a shame.

Well said.

They are not making enough good films to be able to do what Bob has in mind.

He has rushed products on laurels in the parks, and that leadership has been rarely different recently in the movies and tv made. It is already limiting as it is, now it is awkward.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Well said.

They are not making enough good films to be able to do what Bob has in mind.

He has rushed products on laurels in the parks, and that leadership has been rarely different recently in the movies and tv made. It is already limiting as it is, now it is awkward.
And since there aren't enough good films to make current-IP attractions, they seem to be focusing on 2010s era films, and how is that going to look in 2040?

FigmentFan82

Who is saying it needs to be a desert? No one here with any credibility has indicated that what goes beyond big thunder needs to be a desert theme.

Coco seems to be the way the winds are blowing for phase 1 beyond, and I think it would transition very nicely from big thunder to a Mexican themed area

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Who is saying it needs to be a desert? No one here with any credibility has indicated that what goes beyond big thunder needs to be a desert theme.

Coco seems to be the way the winds are blowing for phase 1 beyond, and I think it would transition very nicely from big thunder to a Mexican themed area
If the promised turnaround in Disney's creative output happens, and some huge new hit comes out in 2028, where are they going to put it in the parks? That's the problem with the current strategy. It takes them five years to build everything, and by the time it's done, there is (hopefully) some other successful movie to build from.

This is why original ideas for the theme parks (NOT based on IP) are better.

In 10 years, how dated will the Guardians of the Galaxy rides seem? Especially in California, where they can use whatever Marvel properties they want.

flyerjab

If Mexican themed my argument still stands. Iger placed his creative team into a box, forcing them to work with a limited number of IPs.

Something that worries me that @peter11435 mentioned in another post or thread. His comment hinted that although MK hasn’t used the model of a land unified by a single IP in the past, doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t look to doing that now. If they move in that direction, that will ruin the beauty of that park’s design.

peter11435

If Mexican themed my argument still stands. Iger placed his creative team into a box, forcing them to work with a limited number of IPs.

Something that worries me that @peter11435 mentioned in another post or thread. His comment hinted that although MK hasn’t used the model of a land unified by a single IP in the past, doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t look to doing that now. If they move in that direction, that will ruin the beauty of that park’s design.
They’ve already done it at Disneyland, Shanghai Disneyland, and Hong Kong Disneyland. No reason to think they won’t do it at Magic Kingdom.

Sectorkeeper71

I feel like bob’s IP obsession for the parks is his version of eisner’s garbage studio parks at the end of his tenure. He started with some really good IP infusion to fix some of these issues (cars land being a stroke of brilliance) but then you look at some of these lazy overlays like Pixar pier and cars road trip, and it’s pretty cringy. Overall, I don’t think the quality is as bad here vs say original California adventure, but it just shows a lack of creative vision and the need for a fresh face up top.

The Leader of the Club

If the promised turnaround in Disney's creative output happens, and some huge new hit comes out in 2028, where are they going to put it in the parks? That's the problem with the current strategy. It takes them five years to build everything, and by the time it's done, there is (hopefully) some other successful movie to build from.

This is why original ideas for the theme parks (NOT based on IP) are better.

In 10 years, how dated will the Guardians of the Galaxy rides seem? Especially in California, where they can use whatever Marvel properties they want.
How dated does Peter Pan’s Flight feel 70 years out from that film? What about Alice in Wonderland? Heck, Snow White is pushing 90 and 7DMT is still arguably the most popular ride at MK.

I think any of these new IP rides COULD age really well, if Disney keeps the property relevant like they have the classics. Keep a steady stream of merch, rereleases, new attractions and entertainment, etc. and these can become new classics.

LSLS

Coco and Inside Out are Pixar's most popular original movies of the last 10 years

That's more than enough popularity to give it a big ride and a spinner
From 2014-2024, there were 13 movies released by Pixar. Of those, 7 were pre-pandemic. Of those 7, Coco rates 5th on the list from the Box Office. The Incredibles 2, Finding Dory, and Toy Story 4 all were over both of them (Inside Out is 4th). I guess if you are talking non-sequel it would be? But, now you are talking about a comparison of 3 movies at the box office. And past that, we just don't have info on toy sales (which I think is what we would need to compare pandemic movies since we don't have a box office). Nemo has what, a sort of ride in an aquarium and a show? Incredibles has nothing (talking WDW), and Inside Out is nothing (maybe something coming?). Maybe things changed and I didn't keep up, but it was not a big ride for Coco, it was an entire land. My point is, I'm surprised the amount they are giving it when it feels like there are larger IPs. It doesn't feel like it was THAT big a movie, nor does it feel like it has had the same kind of staying power a lot of other IP has had that is much less represented.

James Alucobond

Maybe things changed and I didn't keep up, but it was not a big ride for Coco, it was an entire land. My point is, I'm surprised the amount they are giving it when it feels like there are larger IPs. It doesn't feel like it was THAT big a movie, nor does it feel like it has had the same kind of staying power a lot of other IP has had that is much less represented.
An entire land for Coco has never been proposed. In the original Beyond Big Thunder concept, there was a Latin American-styled plaza that branched out toward both Coco and Encanto attractions. In the newer Animal Kingdom concept, there is a tropical Americas village with attractions from a few IPs.

Timothy_Q

From 2014-2024, there were 13 movies released by Pixar. Of those, 7 were pre-pandemic. Of those 7, Coco rates 5th on the list from the Box Office. The Incredibles 2, Finding Dory, and Toy Story 4 all were over both of them (Inside Out is 4th). I guess if you are talking non-sequel it would be? But, now you are talking about a comparison of 3 movies at the box office.
They have very plainly stated they want to add their recent hits to the parks (aka new properties)

For WDAS that is Moana, Encanto and Zootopia
For Pixar that is Coco and Inside Out

It doesn't matter if they're pre or post pandemic, Encanto had a very terrible box office run but was a huge success on D+

The other movies you mentioned are sequels to older properties, nemo and toy story already have a ton of park representation and are very saturated, and Incredibles unfortunately was a big missed opportunity to not get a ride, but that ship seems to has sailed and now there are shinier properties vying for attention

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom