News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Sectorkeeper71

Peter Pan is one of Disney's most iconic movies (even if I think it's one of the worst of the Walt-era).

But you do have a point that rides being entertaining on their own merits is important. Avatar doesn't have many die-hard fans, but the look of Pandora and the experience of riding Flight of Passage are entertaining enough on their own that one doesn't need to even see the movies to appreciate them.
I’ve said this in other places before, and I will always stand by it; pandora is proof that you can make non-IP things that people will flock to. To your point, how many folks are just visiting “blue alien world” and floored by the land they step into.

Modern Disney execs are just blind to the fact that it all comes down to execution, not whether or not it’s a hot property on Disney plus

ToTBellHop

I’ve said this in other places before, and I will always stand by it; pandora is proof that you can make non-IP things that people will flock to. To your point, how many folks are just visiting “blue alien world” and floored by the land they step into.

Modern Disney execs are just blind to the fact that it all comes down to execution, not whether or not it’s a hot property on Disney plus
I do actually think the fact that it’s Avatar gets some guests through the turnstiles. Quality gets them to return a couple years later.

PREMiERdrum

Animal Kingdom did have capybaras back in the day. Maybe they’ll bring them back.

Seems a shame not to have a significant animal addition.

Are we relatively sure of the Coco carousel? It doesn't really seem to fit, especially with the planned BBTM stuff. Wouldn't an Encanto or Up carousel (full of dogs!) make more sense?
Yes to capys (Go Crew2!).

Yes to Coco-inspired carousel in AK.

Yes to Coco in BBTM phase 1.

No to Up literally anywhere new, unfortunately (my personal favorite Disney film).

Sectorkeeper71

Seems a shame not to have a significant animal addition.
I forget where I heard this, but if you look at how AK is laid out, most of the big animal trails and exhibits are away from high noise attractions; even Everest is set a bit away from the jungle trek where you can’t hear the coaster really from there. I’m not sure if that would impact their hesitancy to bring in to the Dino land plot from where it’s located in the park, but I certainly think things like upkeep, space for exhibits and housing would have more of an impact than that

PREMiERdrum

Is the Boneyard going away for sure? As opposed to (say) a slight retheme to an archaeological dig site
Gone completely, unfortunately, with a whimper.

DinoLand USA scores LOW on exit surveys. Like, LOW LOW. Every trace of the theme will be gone, even as most of the facilities remain.

I'm confident that the new story written for Indy will please most of us.

But, Opening Day AK... this is not.

In the Parks
No
I'll say it again...that's a really tall order. It's really unfortunate that it has the same track layout as DL's Indy, because it's going to be hard not to compare them, let alone comparing it to Dinosaur. Unless there are some really killer diller animatronics, I can't see what they could possibly come up with that would please me.

I mean, I'll ride it and almost certainly enjoy it, but I have such an incredible joy that comes from riding Dinosaur...it's hard to top that.

PREMiERdrum

I'll say it again...that's a really tall order. It's really unfortunate that it has the same track layout as DL's Indy, because it's going to be hard not to compare them, let alone comparing it to Dinosaur. Unless there are some really killer diller animatronics, I can't see what they could possibly come up with that would please me.

I mean, I'll ride it and almost certainly enjoy it, but I have such an incredible joy that comes from riding Dinosaur...it's hard to top that.
I completely feel that. If I had my way Dinosaur would be fixed, not replaced.

From what I've seen, we're getting more scenes, a unique story a bit removed from the "something goes catastrophically wrong" trope, and a beautifully designed land... on par with Asia and Africa.

Until the checks are cut, we'll see, but I went from "oh no" to "oh! Okay!" pretty quickly.

Advisable Joseph

Avatar is extremely popular. Box office. Streaming. Nearly self-evident.

End of line.

arich35

Gone completely, unfortunately, with a whimper.

DinoLand USA scores LOW on exit surveys. Like, LOW LOW. Every trace of the theme will be gone, even as most of the facilities remain.

But, Opening Day AK... this is not.

Any idea how quickly they will shut everything down? My two toddlers loved the Boneyard playground and we go again in December. They will should have a playground area in every park, tough to lose such a great space for kids to run around

sedati

Yes, but they can be wowed by "blue alien world" and leave and that's that.

...or they can be wowed by "blue alien world" find out it's actually tied to an IP and go home and watch the films on the Disney+ account they probably already have, rack up a good 7+ hours of view time and then buy a ticket for Avatar 3 when it comes out.

Synergy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom