News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

ToTBellHop

They have very plainly stated they want to add their recent hits to the parks (aka new properties)

For WDAS that is Moana, Encanto and Zootopia
For Pixar that is Coco and Inside Out

It doesn't matter if they're pre or post pandemic, Encanto had a very terrible box office run but was a huge success on D+

The other movies you mentioned are sequels to older properties, nemo and toy story already have a ton of park representation and are very saturated, and Incredibles unfortunately was a big missed opportunity to not get a ride, but the ship has sailed and now there are shinier properties vying for attention
How has the Incredibles ship sailed but not PatF?

RnRC with the Incredibles music would be pretty cool.

Gusey

Since 2009 until 2021?, Disney has almost had a second Renaissance period, so it makes sense to create attractions based on movies from this period. After the first Disney Renaissance (1989-1999), Disney only added limited-time shows based on these movies to promote them, but the first attractions were Magic Carpets of Aladdin in 2001, then New Fantasyland in 2012. It makes sense that Disney are focusing on movies from the last 10 years to they don't repeat what they did with the Disney Renaissance

erasure fan1

Yeah, it's strange I feel better about Indy than I do about Encanto here. Guess I can envision how a story COULD be put together to make it fit for Indy, but I'm struggling with Encanto.
I completely agree. Indy you can pretty well shove in and give it a animal kingdom feel very easy. That doesn't mean it's the best choice, but at least it won't completely look out of place. Encanto I can only think of the one small boy whos gift is the animal thing.
but I've never seen anyone make the case that Coco is a huge movie that should get forced in all over. Wonder what data is telling them Coco needs decent representation in multiple parks.
Coco is a great movie. I don't believe it needs multiple attractions but I think a dark ride would be perfect. This is the one ip I don't think I would be too upset if went into the Mexico pavilion. It would make sense since according to the creators, they got the idea for the film from the day of the dead portion of that ride.

The Leader of the Club

Encanto I can only think of the one small boy whos gift is the animal thing.
I think that you also can play up Isabela’s power to create plants. Between Isabela & Antonio, you have a great excuse to focus on the flora & fauna of the region. Mirabel can be the audience surrogate character while the other fan-favorites (Bruno, Luisa, etc.) can have small moments too.

FigmentFan82

If Mexican themed my argument still stands. Iger placed his creative team into a box, forcing them to work with a limited number of IPs.

Something that worries me that @peter11435 mentioned in another post or thread. His comment hinted that although MK hasn’t used the model of a land unified by a single IP in the past, doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t look to doing that now. If they move in that direction, that will ruin the beauty of that park’s design.
It's Mexican themed because (if all the rumors are true) they chose Coco as the IP to be the focus of that section, not the other way around. No one was put in a box. As with all of these large scale projects there are many ideas and concepts that get developed and then eventually one gets picked.
And again, you're making assumptions based on kind of nothing really. You're expecting something to be ruined before they have even fully stated what they are doing.

FigmentFan82

If the promised turnaround in Disney's creative output happens, and some huge new hit comes out in 2028, where are they going to put it in the parks? That's the problem with the current strategy. It takes them five years to build everything, and by the time it's done, there is (hopefully) some other successful movie to build from.

This is why original ideas for the theme parks (NOT based on IP) are better.

In 10 years, how dated will the Guardians of the Galaxy rides seem? Especially in California, where they can use whatever Marvel properties they want.
Who is saying they NEED to put a new hit IP in the parks? If the attraction is good the IP shouldn't greatly affect it. And if the attraction is bad will an amazing IP make it better?
20K Under the Sea never seemed dated to me when I was a kid, even though I had never seen the movie.
Is Mystic Manor cool? Heck yeah! Would it still be cool themed to Encanto? Heck yeah!

In the Parks
No
How dated does Peter Pan’s Flight feel 70 years out from that film? What about Alice in Wonderland? Heck, Snow White is pushing 90 and 7DMT is still arguably the most popular ride at MK.

I think any of these new IP rides COULD age really well, if Disney keeps the property relevant like they have the classics. Keep a steady stream of merch, rereleases, new attractions and entertainment, etc. and these can become new classics.
Back before home video (and even television rebroadcasts), Disney would rerelease their films in theaters every seven years to reintroduce them to a new generation. This is what cemented many of these films as classics. Plus they were extremely high quality. I think the hope is that Disney+ can take care of that, but who really knows. When something bigger comes around, Coco and Encanto's streaming numbers will probably fall.

Sure, these new IP-centric rides could age well, but the timeless quality of Big Thunder has ensured its evergreen success no matter what new films come out. No IP there. Same with Space Mountain. I would even say there's a case to be made that Splash Mountain was not really IP-based because the IP was so obscure.

Like someone said here, as long as the attraction itself is great, that's what matters the most.

To use the Guardians example from DCA, I would wager in 20 years there is something else inhabiting that tower.

Fox&Hound

Slightly off topic but how would Lion King be a flume ride? What is proposed? A classic book report ride? What is the show building themed to?

Very hopeful it happens. Lion King long deserves a ride. The animated and (pointless) live action both did north of a billion.

DisneyDean97

Slightly off topic but how would Lion King be a flume ride? What is proposed? A classic book report ride? What is the show building themed to?

Very hopeful it happens. Lion King long deserves a ride. The animated and (pointless) live action both did north of a billion.
I would assume it would be a book report ride, the animated movie has so many classic moments. Imagine floating past Pride Rock with a Rafiki animatronic lifting baby samba up, with the Circle of Life music in the background.
I would imagine the facade would either be Pride Rock or some sort of mountain.

ToTBellHop

I would assume it would be a book report ride, the animated movie has so many classic moments. Imagine floating past Pride Rock with a Rafiki animatronic lifting baby samba up, with the Circle of Life music in the background.
Of all IP integration, this is one that actually needs to happen.

drew81

Dug, Kevin, and the parrots from Rio!!
They exist.

IMG_7061.jpeg
IMG_7062.jpeg
IMG_7063.jpeg
IMG_7064.jpeg

fgmnt

I think they have been hesitant to attempt an attraction based on this IP because the entire experience an audience could experience in that world cannot truly be surpassed, substituted, or sequelized from the 1994 animated movie.

If it’s attempted, I think you could do an omnimover ride with vignettes of the Circle of Life in the pridelands (life and death, water and the savannah, sun and storm, predator and prey, migration, stampedes) with Rafiki narrating and Timon and Pumbaa providing some commentary, with the grand finale being an immersive recreation of the opening of The Lion King. Think of something like HM or SSE but it’s in the Animal Kingdom and it is based on what is probably the most quintessentially WDAS creation since Snow White, if not the Mouse himself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom