News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Disstevefan1

I know nostalgia rules supreme with Disney fandom...

But this plan looks so much better and more fitting in AK than Dinoland, even with IPs
I never liked Dinoland USA area, it seemed cheap and rushed, BUT it was something, and we did like that silly Primeval Whirl.

I always thought of the Dinosaur attraction as separate from Dinoland USA

Yes, IF Disney goes through with this addition and does not cheap out on it, it could be great.

But I have no faith in Disney in actually doing anything after Iger wins the proxy fight.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Yeah, I mean this is exactly why I'm fed up with the whole thing. They really are doubling down on one particular demographic, as though thats the only demographic that matters but it's very tiring and alienating for the people who are not obsessed with cartoons and movies. And Loungefly.

Toy Story is also in Magic Kingdom - Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin!
Ohh yeah duhh. Sorry I think of Woody when I think of Toy Story, didn't remember that

osian

I never liked Dinoland USA area, it seemed cheap and rushed, BUT it was something, and we did like that silly Primeval Whirl.

I always thought of the Dinosaur attraction as separate from Dinoland USA

Yes, IF Disney goes through with this addition and does not cheap out on it, it could be great.

But I have no faith in Disney in actually doing anything after Iger wins the proxy fight.

According to Disney Fandom Wiki, DinoLand USA was started by an amateur fossil-hunter who purchased the site where he found old bones, as a visitor attraction. He called his park DinoLand USA and established the restaurant Restaurantosaurus and the Dino Institute where the CTX/Dinosaur ride is. Then two locals, Chester and Hester, set up their own rival tourist attraction called DinoRama, on the parking lot.

I'm unclear as to whether DinoRama is part of DinoLand USA (it seems odd that the original owner would allow a rival operator in his own park, let alone build on his parking lot. Plot hole!)

I liked Primeval Whirl too, it was just an off-the-shelf fairground spinning mouse (true to the theme of DinoRama) and was a lot of fun but unfortunately there was a lot of over-the-top hate and drama from people who don't like carnival rides.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I personally think what would be most fitting for AK is a properly fleshed out Dinoland, but current Disney isn't going to spend a lot of money on any park edition that doesn't tie to a reasonably popular IP.

I still think this is historical nostalgic bias. There’s many takes on Animal Kingdom and at its base form, Dinosaurs as ‘animals’ have an obvious place. Dinoland USA, no matter its quality, doesn’t really mesh as well with Africa/Asia as Tropical Americas does, in theory. “North America” would be better on brand for AK than Dinoland USA.

Joe’s whole thing has been more eco tourism and I don’t get that out of Dinoland. Including the inability to lean into living animals or conservation messaging outside the attractions.

The last major plot should be Oceania - which would allow for both the Australian/South Pacific Islands that the park is desperately reaching for.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I still think this is historical nostalgic bias. There’s many takes on Animal Kingdom and at its base form, Dinosaurs as ‘animals’ have an obvious place. Dinoland USA, no matter its quality, doesn’t really mesh as well with Africa/Asia as Tropical Americas does, in theory. “North America” would be better on brand for AK than Dinoland USA.

Joe’s whole thing has been more eco tourism and I don’t get that out of Dinoland. Including the inability to lean into living animals or conservation messaging outside the attractions.

The last major plot should be Oceania - which would allow for both the Australian/South Pacific Islands that the park is desperately reaching for.

Sorry, maybe I gave the wrong impression calling it Dinoland. What I meant is a well themed area about Dinosaurs. I doesn't have to have any resemblance to current Dinoland.

Last edited:

flyerjab

You and are are in alignment. Having Discovery Island surrounded by Africa, Asia and Tropical Americas just fits better with my OCD mind. If done well, this land could be beautiful.

Also thinking back to what Bruce Vaughn said regarding this land…visitors will be able to fully experience the culture of this part of the world. I wonder if that will take center stage instead of animal additions: human culture over animal experiences - as a cost savings of course. It will be interesting to see how convincing Bruce is and if there will be any actual animals in this part of Animal Kingdom.

yensidtlaw1969

Thanks to you both. If I thought about the orientation of the art with the current Dino gate and the temple being Indy/Dinosaur, it lines up correctly.
Here's a Gif for everyone's reference:

dinoland-to-central-america-gif.741809

Gusey

According to Melody Malmberg's ‘The Making of Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park’, the original concept for Animal Kingdom was more like a large Epcot pavilion about animals, but in 1992, Michael Eisner went to a pitch meeting and said: "You’ve got to lead with your cliches! I want a dinoland, and I want it to be called Dinoland." That led them to redesigning the park to the concept we know today: hub and spoke with Africa, Asia, Dinoland and Beastly Kingdom. Also interesting that the book also says Camp Minnie Mickey was supposed to act as a transitional land to Beastly Kingdom, not a placeholder land :)

BrianLo

Sorry, maybe I gave the wrong impression calling it Dinoland. What I meant is a well themed area about Dinosaurs. I doesn't have to have any resemblance to current Dinoland.

Nothing precludes Indy from being focused on dinosaurs. Not the foggiest idea, but it doesn’t sound like this is a direct clone.

In fact I would love if it is focused on dinosaurs still. That would provide nice variety to the land.

I think tropical americas is a better concept than a non location based ‘dinosaur land’. I think Indy is a better attraction than Dinosaur. I think in eithers current form, Indy as a vessel makes a lot more sense for the direction of the lands overarching location (tropical America).

What I don’t think is that an Indy 1:1 clone as an attraction is a better fit for Animal Kingdom as a whole. So I’m eagerly awaiting how they deal with that. If they do.

Encanto is its own beast. Meshes very very well with the cultural flare the lands usually faces - also highly depends on how they interpret the attraction.

As an aside, I really don’t think this land features Coco, nor should it.

mickEblu

Nothing precludes Indy from being focused on dinosaurs. Not the foggiest idea, but it doesn’t sound like this is a direct clone.

As an aside, I really don’t think this land features Coco, nor should it.

I agree. Coco has no business being a part of this. Just have the spinner be Antonio’s animals instead. Also, Coco should be saved for a dark ride.

BrianLo

I agree. Coco has no business being a part of this. Just have the spinner be Antonio’s animals instead. Also, Coco should be saved for a dark ride.

It would be a huge waste of a great IP. I really can’t think of anything I’d rather immediately transitioning behind Big Thunder (that is a IP, which is a requirement) than Coco.

MK would hugely benefit from the cuisine boost.

KDM31091

I’d love to see them simply improve dinoland and since technically we have no official confirmation from Disney on anything at this point, I’m holding out a tiny bit of hope that dinosaur will stay. But I know I’m likely wrong.

ToTBellHop

It would be a huge waste of a great IP. I really can’t think of anything I’d rather immediately transitioning behind Big Thunder (that is a IP, which is a requirement) than Coco.

MK would hugely benefit from the cuisine boost.
You have more faith than I do that they wouldn’t just open a bag of Doritos, throw some taco meat and lettuce in there, and sell Miguel’s Musical Walking Taco Bag for $14.99.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom