News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

SpectreJordan

How would zootopia land not be new? There is nothing like it in Orlando, or in North America. Do you honestly think the people visiting WDW every year overlaps the people going to China? It’s the same thinking I never understood about Tron. For all intents and purposes it’s a brand new ride to what, 80-90%+ of WDW visitors?

I also don’t get how anyone could say HS is neglected. I mean looking at total new spends/additions across Florida, HS with Toy Story land, galaxies are edge, and MMRR probably has the highest percentage of recent new additions over the other 3 Florida parks
Shanghai should've kept Tron. 👀

HS has definitely received a lot of new stuff recently & I've, personally, been very happy with all of it. But it still needs a lot more; all of that work & they still only have 9 rides. The entire middle of the park is a hodge podge of theming & not much is going on there besides Mickey.

Bocabear

Shanghai should've kept Tron. 👀

HS has definitely received a lot of new stuff recently & I've, personally, been very happy with all of it. But it still needs a lot more; all of that work & they still only have 9 rides. The entire middle of the park is a hodge podge of theming & not much is going on there besides Mickey.
They were down to 5 rides when the rebuild started.... So that is a plus, but yes! it could really use more....and it could really use a reorganization... making the flow of the park make more sense... and dear God do something with the Animation Courtyard... Get rid of Launch Bay and add in a new attraction based on Classic Disney Animation...

Fox&Hound

I have said it before and I will say it again. DHS has exceptional e-tickets. What it needs is small A,B, and C ticket family friendly rides and updated shows. That would flesh out the park nicely and they “should” be able to build quite a few for the price of one e-ticket.

Anyone know when we would presumably hear more about these AK plans? When is the next big DIS convention or event?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

I have said it before and I will say it again. DHS has exceptional e-tickets. What is needs is small A,B, and C ticket family friendly rides and updates shows. That would flesh out the park nicely and “should” be able to build quite a few for the price of one e-ticket.

Anyone know when we would presumably hear more about these AK plans? When is the next big DIS convention or event?
Probably nothing until D23 this summer. The only other way we'd hear something else is if they want to try & take some attention away from Epic Universe's official announcements.

Bocabear

I think that was a joke about Animal... Zootopia is about Animals living and acting like Humans... Not like Animals.. I think it is about the worst fit for Animal Kingdom...And yes, they had a Yeti and there was going to be a mythical Creatures area, but never animals that were humanoid living in an urban city setting... It is just a bit too off-brand for this park...
There were animals in Snow White, Aristocats, Robin Hood, Cinderella, etc.... but they are not a good matches for the park either....

TheMaxRebo

Well, AK was also going to include unicorns and dragons. Plus it has (had) a Yeti. They're just as fictional as Nick Wilde. What's the big deal?

Obviously different takes but the idea is AK is more about the natural work and habitats and ecosystems and mans interaction with them and concervationism

Even for extinct or mythical creatures it would be showing them acting as understood/accepted. Pandora is fictional but depicted as the creatures of that world exist as the rules defined for them

The characters in Zootopia are following rules created by and for humans and addresses human issues of prejudice and racism

As Joe Rhode out it - there is a "no pants" rule for AK, so not depicting animals that wear pants in the movies they are in. No no Zootopia, no Robin Hood, etc

But obviously not everyone feels that way l, but that is the thought process

LittleBuford

Obviously different takes but the idea is AK is more about the natural work and habitats and ecosystems and mans interaction with them and concervationism

Even for extinct or mythical creatures it would be showing them acting as understood/accepted.
The park as originally conceived was going to include a Fantasia ride that would have nothing to do with conservation or man’s relationship to the animal world.

I think people too readily buy the claim that Animal Kingdom is defined by some noble mission to benefit nature. It isn’t; it’s a zoo designed for human entertainment.

SpectreJordan

Well, AK was also going to include unicorns and dragons. Plus it has (had) a Yeti. They're just as fictional as Nick Wilde. What's the big deal?
The original intent is to relate them back to real life animals & nature. Unicorns, dragons & yetis are fake but they're still animals who act like animals. The Zootopia characters are animals that act very human; they've evolved past their primal instincts just as we have.

Now it's possible to have Zootopia fit in AK if they were to teach about the biomes found in the city or talks about their "ancestors" (our real life mammals). But idk if they'd actually do it. If they just want to plop the current land into a US park then DHS is the place to go.

SpectreJordan

The park as originally conceived was going to include a Fantasia ride that would have nothing to do with conservation or man’s relationship to the animal world.

I think people too readily buy the claim that Animal Kingdom is defined by some noble mission to benefit nature. It isn’t; it’s a zoo designed for human entertainment.
The Fantasia ride always seemed odd & I'm glad they didn't do that. But the dragon coaster's theme probably would've ended up similar to what we got with Everest though. I'm sure that would've been a good ride but I'm glad we ended up with Everest instead & eventually Pandora in that land's spot.

Magenta Panther

This has to be a troll

Ah, name calling. Evidence of a weak argument and a weak mind.

Also, projecting. Take him away, Mickey!

mickey troll.jpg

Magenta Panther

The original intent is to relate them back to real life animals & nature. Unicorns, dragons & yetis are fake but they're still animals who act like animals. The Zootopia characters are animals that act very human; they've evolved past their primal instincts just as we have.

Now it's possible to have Zootopia fit in AK if they were to teach about the biomes found in the city or talks about their "ancestors" (our real life mammals). But idk if they'd actually do it. If they just want to plop the current land into a US park then DHS is the place to go.
Ever heard of Smaug, the dragon in the book The Hobbit? The dude talked. Dragons talk in many stories. That's hardly natural animal behavior (unless we're talking parrots, who mimic, not talk).

And unicorns talk also, most notably in the excellent book The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle. And unicorns can heal, raise the dead, purify water, and open any lock. How is that natural animal behavior?

SpectreJordan

Ever heard of Smaug, the dragon in the book The Hobbit? The dude talked. Dragons talk in many stories. That's hardly natural animal behavior (unless we're talking parrots, who mimic, not talk).

And unicorns talk also, most notably in the excellent book The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle. And unicorns can heal, raise the dead, purify water, and open any lock. How is that natural animal behavior?
There's stories where Yetis talk too. I assume they would've had the dragons & unicorns in a more typical animalistic form.

LittleBuford

The Fantasia ride always seemed odd & I'm glad they didn't do that. But the dragon coaster's theme probably would've ended up similar to what we got with Everest though. I'm sure that would've been a good ride but I'm glad we ended up with Everest instead & eventually Pandora in that land's spot.
I personally would have loved the Fantasia ride. Indeed, as someone opposed to zoos, I wish the whole park would move entirely away from live animal exhibits, though I realise I'm in the minority.

SpectreJordan

I personally would have loved the Fantasia ride. Indeed, as someone opposed to zoos, I wish the whole park would move entirely away from live animal exhibits, though I realise I'm in the minority.
I'm torn on that tbh. I feel animals of a higher intelligence shouldn't be in zoos (apes, elephants, dolphins, big cats, etc...) but I imagine animals that are typically prey are living their best lives in zoos, depending on how much space they have.

But I also feel like zoos are important teaching tools when it comes to conservation. Seeing animals in a documentary is fine but seeing them in person can really drive it home. So it's a double edged sword.

Consumer

To say it is unnatural for dragons to speak because animals don't speak is the equivalent of saying it is unnatural for platypuses to lay eggs because mammals don't lay eggs.

Anyway, obviously Zootopia has no place in Animal Kingdom and I'm glad it's not happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom