News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

brb1006

The presence of Lion King in the parks is definitely not what you'd expect, given the popularity of the films.

While DAK was being designed initially, there was a Lion King show at Magic Kingdom (where Philharmagic is now), plus there were parades and that sort of thing.

But the opening day Lion King show at DAK was a last minute scramble--definitely not something that had any long term planning. It was just thrown together with some leftover parade floats and some very talented performers. And it is a pretty good show!

My guess is that Lion King has always had "enough" presence in the parks to sell merchandise that, whenever it was considered, something else always took top priority.

And as for international parks, since the show at DAK was so well received, that is what HKDL ended up getting too.

For all the popularity of the second golden age Disney animated movies, their representation in the parks is not what you'd expect. You'd think they were unpopular compared to Pixar movies or something, despite selling similar numbers of tickets domestically.
I always felt The Tree of Life would had been the perfect location for an indoor show starring Rafiki as a kid. Even the tree itself reminded me of Rafiki's home from the Lion King Films and spin-off material.

FettFan

I general agree, though Frozen Ever After isn't taking you through the story of the movie, it is set after the film and is a different story

Calling what FEA does a ā€œstoryā€ is far too kind.

Itā€™s really little more a mish-mash of random recognizable things from the movie.

Yā€™know:
yogurt-spaceballs.gif

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Calling what FEA does a ā€œstoryā€ is far too kind.

Itā€™s really little more a mish-mash of random recognizable things from the movie.

Yes, it's not a 'story.' But it isn't a mishmash, either. It has six specific 'story beats' each introduced by a narrator or spoken dialogue from a movie...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom