News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

JD80

There’s the safety aspect of allowing room for the vehicles to overrun their preprogrammed course. It also allows futzing with the ride path. It also lets people see that there is no track.

You don't need a warehouse or a lot of room from a technical point of view, but if you want multiple vehicles in the same space you need space.

You require 19.7" minimum for egress with automated vehicles that interact with people (meaning people walking around them) plus whatever extra Disney puts on there for safety.

What really exceeds it is basically the safety bubble is humans reaching out or swinging something from the vehicle so that doesn't hit anything.

It wouldn't be for overrunning their course. Any vehicle that could over run it course or be inaccurate in its positioning by more than 5" wouldn't have been use din their design. Next time your in one of those attractions, look at the tire marks on the floor. They almost overlap perfectly within some margin.

JD80

my personal thoughts are that the failures of imagineering is beyond hyperbolic.

Looking back at the past 15 years….

Avatar is great, easily one of the best themed lands imagineering has designed in decades.

Toy Story land at dhs is a great and solid addition. It’s also extremely popular with guests.

Epcot is maybe a bit controversial with the design elements from the reboot, but i think frozen is a very solid and popular attraction, ratatouille is solid , and cosmic rewind is one of my favorites.

Magic kingdom - new fantasyland expansion is popular and a fine addition. I think the mine train roller coaster is fun (kind of miss the dark ride though) and the Ariel dark ride is fine and popular with the crowd it was designed and intended for.

Tron is amazing design wise, but I wish it was longer…

I think I might be missing a few (?) but as a whole I feel like imagineering has generally had way more positive hits and additions than misses.

I think Tiana looks beautiful, but the story definitely has misses, and as a whole it feels like it was rushed and transitioned for political motives against the song of the south.

Not opening that can of worms, but as a whole I’m happy with what imagineering has accomplished and achieved.

I think while there have been the occasional misstep, this board dogs on them wayyyyy too hard.

I think people conflate the final project vs. concept art as a failure of creativity when its more likely a reduction of resources.

lazyboy97o

You don't need a warehouse or a lot of room from a technical point of view, but if you want multiple vehicles in the same space you need space.

You require 19.7" minimum for egress with automated vehicles that interact with people (meaning people walking around them) plus whatever extra Disney puts on there for safety.

What really exceeds it is basically the safety bubble is humans reaching out or swinging something from the vehicle so that doesn't hit anything.

It wouldn't be for overrunning their course. Any vehicle that could over run it course or be inaccurate in its positioning by more than 5" wouldn't have been use din their design. Next time your in one of those attractions, look at the tire marks on the floor. They almost overlap perfectly within some margin.
The major park operators are all paranoid. Their internal safety standards are always in excess of what is otherwise required.

A ride is an Assembly occupancy which requires 36” - 44” minimum clear width for egress.

The design of the vehicles means that the reach envelope isn’t too much of an issue. They tend to have very wide bases. If you look at something like Oceaneering’s Revolution vehicles the base is a good 30” greater than the reach envelope.

Quietmouse

I’m surprised to see how much love animal kingdom gets on Reddit.

I always thought I was in the minority who thought it was their favorite park, but I guess there’s a huge coalition of folks who think likewise.

In the past a common sentiment was there is nothing to do/not enough rides, etc. but it seems like people are beginning to appreciate how truly special the theming and atmosphere is in animal kingdom.

I think if animal kingdom can just add a few more dark rides (after tropical of America) and a night time show it could be on part with tokoyo disney sea for my 2 favorite - all time - Disney parks.

JD80

The major park operators are all paranoid. Their internal safety standards are always in excess of what is otherwise required.

A ride is an Assembly occupancy which requires 36” - 44” minimum clear width for egress.

The design of the vehicles means that the reach envelope isn’t too much of an issue. They tend to have very wide bases. If you look at something like Oceaneering’s Revolution vehicles the base is a good 30” greater than the reach envelope.

Sounds about right.

JD80

After speaking with Jim Shull, I also believe this is not going to be a trackless ride. Each train of cars should be two connected vehicles. Each vehicle with two rows of three. (So each train will be 12 people.)

On a related note: Does anyone know how long the Kali River Rapids queue length is, in feet?

No meetings this morning so here's my guess:

Using this video:

Woman enters the queue at 0:06s
Stops from 0:19 to 0:30
Stops from 3:01 to 3:15
Stops from 3:17 to 3:25
Stops from 3:42 to 3:48
Stops from 3:59 to 4:03
Ends 4:29

3m 40s of walk time or 220s.

According to Medical News Today the average walking speed of a woman is 3.0 mph. Let's take off 25% of that speed (2.25 mph) because she probably wasn't walking full speed.

If she travelled 220s at 2.25mph her distance was 0.1375mi or 726ft.

That's my guess.

Sneaky

After speaking with Jim Shull, I also believe this is not going to be a trackless ride. Each train of cars should be two connected vehicles. Each vehicle with two rows of three. (So each train will be 12 people.)

On a related note: Does anyone know how long the Kali River Rapids queue length is, in feet?
Huh. What type of ride system is this most similar to for reference?

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I think @Disgruntled Walt's idea of Journey into Imagination is probably a decent starting point.
That's interesting, I think that's actually a really good choice for this ride. Considering trackless rides seem to have really poor reliability and the fact that you turn and reposition the ride vehicles to look at different things in Casita. Hopefully it has a very high capacity. What's the capacity of Imagination?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom