News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

doctornick

I mean the first half of River Adventure is more calm and “majestic” than any part of Dinosaur.

Absolutely. As I have often mentioned on here, I would love to have a ride that is basically the first part of JRA but longer and that's the ride. Just a sedate boat ride seeing and learning about dinosaurs.

So my point is that there certainly is the potential to do something like that and differentiate a "dinosaur land" from what exists at Uni. Were I to run Disney, I would add to Dinoland and create the family friendly ride (picture something like UoE's dinos) to compliment Dinosaur (the ride) and make a dinosaur based land that is distinct from Uni. But disney doesn't generally seem interested in doing that kind of project any more.

zipadee999

Absolutely. As I have often mentioned on here, I would love to have a ride that is basically the first part of JRA but longer and that's the ride. Just a sedate boat ride seeing and learning about dinosaurs.

So my point is that there certainly is the potential to do something like that and differentiate a "dinosaur land" from what exists at Uni. Were I to run Disney, I would add to Dinoland and create the family friendly ride (picture something like UoE's dinos) to compliment Dinosaur (the ride) and make a dinosaur based land that is distinct from Uni. But disney doesn't generally seem interested in doing that kind of project any more.
Uni actually considered that as one of their first triceratops encounter replacements which would’ve been a relaxing Omnimover through the hatchery and basement of the discovery center before seeing some adult dinos sleeping/eating and then disembarking. It would’ve been around 7 minutes supposedly and was meant to contrast with the intensity of river adventure. The bottom line seems to say that people want to be thrilled by Dinos and care more about the fantastical lense rather than the scientific one. An attraction like that could be a decently popular C ticket but people want to be thrilled by the headliner of the land.

There probably isn’t any world where dinosaur or something similar wouldn’t be the E ticket of Dinoland but the Chester and Hester area should’ve been developed as the boat cruise proposal or another way to see actual dinosaurs in a tranquil no height-requirement setting

celluloid

Uni actually considered that as one of their first triceratops encounter replacements which would’ve been a relaxing Omnimover through the hatchery and basement of the discovery center before seeing some adult dinos sleeping/eating and then disembarking. It would’ve been around 7 minutes supposedly and was meant to contrast with the intensity of river adventure. The bottom line seems to say that people want to be thrilled by Dinos and care more about the fantastical lense rather than the scientific one. An attraction like that could be a decently popular C ticket but people want to be thrilled by the headliner of the land.

There probably isn’t any world where dinosaur or something similar wouldn’t be the E ticket of Dinoland but the Chester and Hester area should’ve been developed as the boat cruise proposal or another way to see actual dinosaurs in a tranquil no height-requirement setting

People want the fantasy of the Dinosaur's existing world more than they do the reality. They can want both and one can inspire the other, but just as Mainstreet USA Exists.

People want nostalgia and romanticized turn of the century, the majority don't want to actually walk through a turn of the century street and into non air conditioned gift shops.

Uni to this day still has Dino meet and greets. Yes Raptor Encounter gets the viral videos of scares, but you also have the baby raptor meets and occasional Triceratops meets and hatchings witnessed in the Discovery Center where kids explore and learn what Jurassic Park does.
Camp Jurassic is also far more epic than any other playground at a major theme park. It took what was great about Tom Sawyer and elevated it into Spielberg's cinematic concept.

Bleed0range

I agree I dont see the Clone of Indy from DL as being anything to get excited over (its just a reskin of the existing ride). AK does need to do something with Dino Land. Maybe make it a Indy Flume ride that could work but just a pipe dream as that would cost $$$$ vs cloning the existing attraction in a building that already exists with the I believe the same ride system already in place as DL.

Tbh, I love the Indy ride and I’ve wanted it for 20+ years so I’m okay with it ultimately haha. I would be excited since I almost never get to Disneyland vs WDW.

erasure fan1

This is likely a $1B+ project and the only difference you've made in AK's capacity is the throughput difference between PW and whatever Encanto is
Unfortunately this has been Disneys problem for over 20yrs. They don't seem to really care about capacity.
My biggest gripe is just the shortsided nature of their planning
Well when the guy running the company is Bob Shortsighted Iger, this is the end result. A bunch of stuff hodgepodged wherever they can shove it.

Sir_Cliff

So, will we get real/live snakes with Indy and donkeys with Encanto?
Goodbye Triceratops Spin, hello...

1694460526907.png

Twirlnhurl

Uni actually considered that as one of their first triceratops encounter replacements which would’ve been a relaxing Omnimover through the hatchery and basement of the discovery center before seeing some adult dinos sleeping/eating and then disembarking. It would’ve been around 7 minutes supposedly and was meant to contrast with the intensity of river adventure.
Is there any place I could read more about that concept? I've never heard of it before.

I love Velocicoaster (it is one of my absolute favorite rollercoasters in the world), but a no-height requirement family friendly dark ride would be so much better for the park as a whole. Both Universal parks are seriously lacking in that regard.

Last edited:

zipadee999

Is there any place I could read more about that concept? I've never heard of it before.

I love Velocicoaster (it is one of my absolute favorite rollercoasters in the work), but a no-height requirement family friendly dark ride would be so much better for the park as a whole. Both Universal parks are seriously lacking in that regard.
There’s a thread about the early stages of Velocicoaster on one of the universal forums, it may have been IU I believe, that has been going since triceratops encounter had yet to close. In the first hundred pages or so certain reputable people talk about this concept as one of the plans that could replace triceratops.

It’s really cool because you can see the idea and rumor process on what was happening with that spot of land all the way through the 2010s until VC was eventually announced.

At some point along the line universal decided that the Omnimover wasn’t thrilling enough and the rumor changed to an Amber Mine wooden coaster that would’ve been an extension of camp Jurassic! They stuck with that for a little while before eventually deciding to go bigger and better with VC.

If you just search ‘Velocicoaster forum thread’ on google it should be one of the first results.

(I’m purposely being a bit vague so I don’t get in trouble for promoting another forum lol)

FigmentJedi

Actually, if you look at the concept, it looks like there is no longer a spinner, but there does appear to be a building for a carousel... a carousel with donkeys with unicorn horns all circeling around Luisa in the middle could work!
It's probably going to be all of Antonio's animal buddies on the carousel, giving Animal Kingdom the ride that nearly every zoo has.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, if "Tropical Americas" takes place, I see some people hoping the Nemo show could anchor an Oceania land.

There's no room. If you want an Oceania land, you raze Nemo and build a mini-land (based, of course on Moana). This Oceania land will be hemmed in by Tropical Americas and EE.

OR... you can expand Tropical Americas and make Nemo an Encanto show (or sing-along).

WaltWiz1901

I'm a bit torn on this. On one hand it would be a bummer to see the dinosaurs going extinct from Animal Kingdom if this does end up being given the green light, on the other hand I am more than welcome to a Central/South American land in AK (and the shown concept art looks miles better than anything in today's DinoLand/Dino-Rama!).

On another note...
Because [...] not every new dark ride needs to be trackless, and most of the recent trackless dark rides Disney has built are mediocre at best and lousy at worse (the Ratatouille ride, Runaway Railway, Tokyo's letdown of a Beauty and the Beast ride).
Busbars don't park the riders in front of a screen (Ratatouille) or have the vehicles spin around in gigantic almost-empty rooms (Beauty and the Beast) for most of the ride. Just because trackless dark rides are more "high-tech" doesn't make them better.
While I do agree with your points in the first quote, as someone already said, I can't blame the system nearly as much as the current-gen Imagineers not knowing how to use it effectively (relying too heavily on screens [even when what they're doing is possible to do practically], non-intimate placemaking, and either mainly sticking to one linear path with little deviation or [in Enchanted Tale's case] having the vehicles "dance" in virtually every scene).

Try poking around for interviews, podcasts, etc. with Eddie Sotto. He and the second/third-gen Imagineers took more or less full advantage of going trackless when designing Pooh's Hunny Hunt, even down to executing the queue on a level much like that of a standard Fantasyland dark ride so as to make the payoff that much bigger.
Bus bar rides can park in front of screens too! Just look at any of the Triotech dark rides around the world (I can only think of the one at Knotts at the moment, but there are moee) or the Justice League rides at various Six Flags parks.
Toy Story Mania!, too, as a matter of fact (not a standard C-ticket dark ride, but still a dark ride that runs on a track either way).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom