News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Anyone hear anything about a possible addition of another attraction being built elsewhere in AK? Not just the dinoland redo but something else as well
there was talk of a 3rd Avatar attraction at one time... not sure where that stands now however.

I'm honestly suprised they haven't gotten rid of the petting zoo goat farm area in Rafiki's Planet Watch to build some things

lazyboy97o

Induced demand is real, but it's not as significant as you think.

Yes, new attractions drive attendance, but they also provide additional capacity and spread crowds out. Parks will always be and feel busy... but wait-times can be managed correctly.

Disneyland exists with more than enough capacity and double DAK's attendance, and rarely do you see multiple waits over an hour.
The impact of induced demand is magnified when you’re starting out with insufficient capacity. When you’re replacing capacity then you’re just increasing demand because any improvements to utilization would be marginal.

James Alucobond

not sure I agree with that... do you mean improving as in adding an additional method of park transportation there? (skyliner for example?)
That's my personal feeling, at least. For instance, I've been more open to Hollywood Studios evening options since the Skyliner opened because I can quickly hop over for them even if EPCOT is my hub.

MrPromey

It *seems*, going by recent history, that there's been an attempt by Disney to have California and Florida to have the same number of *rides.*

In the one-upmanship between WDW and DLR fans over whose park has the most rides, it's been neck and neck. When one gets a new ride, so does the other.

Coincidence or intentional?

And if it is intentional, if Disneyland Forward drops 10 new rides in Anaheim, will there be 10 new rides in WDW?
You mean neck-and-neck between Disneyland's TWO parks and Walt Disney World's FOUR?

If DL adds a third park to the mix over there, I have no idea how WDW would ever manage to keep up!

MrPromey

I don't know the answer to this. What was the theoretical capacity of Dinoland USA? What was the actual? Did actual capacity match or come close to theoretical? Even if the theoretical capacity was downgraded to "max realistic" capacity was that capacity fully realized on a daily basis?

My point is this - if they added all new rides that matched capacity of what was there before but instead of poor attractions they were attractions that actually drove attendance like Pandora/Rise/Remy/Tron/GotG would the capacity of the park INCREASE just because the actual max capacity was being utilized?

Unless those attractions in Dinoland had an absolute zero wait time with vehicles routinely being dispatched with empty seats not due to guest party configurations but lack of demand, the attraction capacity was being fully utilized.

To my knowledge, that was never the case for any of the three rides when there were three.

Maybe management thinks penning people up in long lines for an hour a piece is "capacity" and that might be their real thinking since that's cheaper than offering a full day of actual entertainment for all four parks but if so, I think they're smart enough to never admit that.

If they replace what's there with attractions that drive attendance but have the same maximum hourly throughput, they're not improving capacity since what is/was there already isn't/wasn't a walk-on. All their doing is replacing existing capacity and then adding more people to the mix to weigh the whole park down, more.

I'm sure that's great for G+ and ILL sales but it certainly wouldn't be a win for the guests of Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:

haveyoumetmark

While the loss of Dinosaur will impact the park from a capacity-perspective, I think it's best if they just suffer through 1.5-2 years of it being down instead of playing a game of chess. They will need to boost entertainment offerings however.

What I love about DAK is that once they build this project, all of DAK will be mostly well built/designed with no areas that I would consider dated or irrelevant. Even though DAK has very few attractions, they are all high-quality and timeless. Every other area/expansion pad capable of hosting a new project will be well hidden from park pathways and difficult to intrude onto guest areas.
Rafiki’s Planet Watch feels dated to me. Though not irrelevant, it’s not up to par with the rest of the park even if it’s an AZA thing and diversion for families with small children.

You mean neck-and-neck between Disneyland's TWO parks and Walt Disney World's FOUR?

If DL adds a third park to the mix over there, I have no idea how WDW would ever manage to keep up!
This is so true and makes DLR a superior and more affordable experience where most of your time isn’t spent in transportation and entering and exiting parks. WDW has been adding some more interesting and fitting offerings lately, but still nothing near enough to justify 4 parks.

celluloid

Unless those attractions in Dinoland had an absolute zero wait time with vehicles routinely being dispatched with empty seats not due to guest party configurations but lack of demand, the attraction capacity was being fully utilized.

To my knowledge, that was never the case for any of the three rides when there were three.

Maybe management thinks penning people up in long lines for an hour a piece is "capacity" and that might be their real thinking since that's cheaper than offering a full day of actual entertainment for all four parks but if so, I think they're smart enough to never admit that.

If they replace what's there with attractions that drive attendance but have the same maximum hourly throughput, they're not improving capacity. All their doing is replacing existing capacity and then adding more people to the mix to weigh the whole park down, more.

I'm sure that's great for G+ and ILL sales but it certainly wouldn't be a win for the guests of Animal Kingdom.

It may shock for some to know that even though the demand is great, the ridership at Dinosaur is pretty close to Flight of Passage due to its low height requirement and great capacity.

Flight of Passage's hourly capacity is not all that great and has a 44 inch height requirement.

MrPromey

2 parks vs 4, yet attractions count is way closer than that makes it seem.

DHS and DAK don't have a lot of big attractions
Yes.

MK is largely thought of as the only fully built out park and I even remember when they were charging more for the non-date-based tickets for it and yet it has about half the number of attractions of Disneyland park.

Still, attraction-wise (not just ride), it would be the only full day park of the four in Florida, even today if wait times were not a factor.

There's something to be said for the animal exhibits in AK, of course, but more and more, it seems they're looking to minimized the actual animal part of Animal Kingdom as they slowly turn it into a theme park sized Adventureland.

MatheusPG

Like I said before, WDW needs expansions, not replacements. Keep Dinosaur and It's Tough to be a Bug, and add more rides. The number of rides that the Disneyland Resort parks have compared to WDW is a joke. There isn't a convincing argument as to why WDW needs to replace rides like The Great Movie Ride for Mickey and Minnie's, while DLR gets to shove a whole new ride building without replacing an attraction like Roger Rabbit (which totally would have been replaced for it if it were located at WDW).

One thing that Disney has been losing in Bob's tenure is variety. We don't have anything like Dinosaur in WDW, while we have multiple generic and same-looking princess rides at Magic Kingdom and now Epcot, just like we have a whole land dedicated to the same adventure ideals as Indiana Jones at MK (where this ride would fit much better anyways). Also, it bothers me a lot that the company has to make these stretches and 4-D chess moves to make rides fit in where they don't belong. Encanto being set in a place where you have a big diversity of forests and animals doesn't make it a story that fits AK; Zootopia having animals, but that don't act like animals, doesn't make it a story that fits AK; Indiana Jones exploring forests that have animals in search of artifacts is in every way a super stretch for AK, even with adjustments.

So, this will be a big disappointment for me, since not only do we lose one of the best, most interesting, and different rides at WDW, but the last park to have a cohesive theme and that hasn't been transformed into one big Fantasyland...

Andrew25

Rafiki’s Planet Watch feels dated to me. Though not irrelevant, it’s not up to par with the rest of the park even if it’s an AZA thing and diversion for families with small children.
Your right, I forget Rafiki's exists lol - include that to the list.

But for the most part, the majority of DAK is timeless and well themed.

celluloid

Universal has had to replace things in their parks due to infrastructure and not owning more land with expansion plots, and has limited shuttered venue spaces. Even then, they have managed to expand a few attractions counts in their limited space without replacing over the decades.

Magic Kingdom and EPCOT have entire shuttered attraction venues/pavilions and are still retheming/replacing rather than expanding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom