News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

DisneyDodo

Sure. I guess my issue/thought/concern about that is that they are more likely to build the Encanto attraction in the same timeframe as a whole Dinoland redo where as if they built (say) a Lion King ride in Africa, they could expedite that to get open and add that capacity as quickly as possible. The park is going to be annoying if/when they close TS and Dinosaur. As though the lines in Pandora aren't already bad enough.....
Agreed. I really wish they would go all out with this park and add a whole bunch of new things over a short time period. Outside of Dinoland, it’s so aesthetically pleasing and well themed, but it is vastly lacking in the attractions (specifically rides) department. And they have so much room to expand. The fact that the park is 26 years old and has 7 rides in operation is pretty pathetic.

They could add a new ride to each of Pandora, Africa, and Asia, add an entire new land from scratch (themed to Australia or North America), and then overhaul Dinoland. With so many new offerings, you wouldn’t have everyone rushing to one ride, LLs running out immediately, etc.

But of course, that would never happen.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
I will presumptively say this... replacing Dinoland USA with "Tropical Americas" is not what the park needs. Yes, adding a ride to replace PW's footprint is good. But DAK really needs additions not replacements. They should build an entirely new land or add rides to multiple existing lands first before they shut down Dinoland USA.

DAK needs additional capacity. It's frustrating that we are likely only getting replacements for rides that already exist (or have existed in the recent past with PW).
They made the same mistake in DHS when they tore down the back lot to build SWGE instead of putting it behind Star Tours. They destroyed a massive (but expensive) people eating LMA! show, backlot tour, and HISTK play area. Now DHS is screaming for capacity and they boxed themselves in.

They have so much land to play with at DAK, you have to wonder what are they thinking.

DisneyDodo

Never passed the smell test for me. MK will need many months of site prep before construction can begin. DAK is ready to start immediately.
I believe I recall that they were originally planning to start work on the Dinoland (or at least Dino-Rama) replacement even sooner, which is why they were so quick to demolish PW and prep the land for construction. But then I guess they couldn’t get their sh*t together quickly enough, which is why we got the blue sky nonsense at D23.

RSoxNo1

If they go with Indy for Dinosaur, I hope it’s not an exact copy of Disneyland. I get the ride system will be, but fingers crossed for a new/different story and effects/elements……..but I know even that is a long shot with today’s standards/status of WDI.
How about Indy is pursuing a macguffin that will bring skeletons to life. We have giant dinosar skeletons that come to life like the pepper's ghost effect in Shanghai Pirates and Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast. Also, I need to be chased by a boulder.

yensidtlaw1969

They made the same mistake in DHS when they tore down the back lot to build SWGE instead of putting it behind Star Tours. They destroyed a massive (but expensive) people eating LMA! show, backlot tour, and HISTK play area. Now DHS is screaming for capacity and they boxed themselves in.

They have so much land to play with at DAK, you have to wonder what are they thinking.
DHS isn't boxed in. There are expansion pads.

What they're thinking is they want to renew a park offering whose draw doesn't quite match its expense, increase interest in AK in general, make use of properties they feel are underrepresented at the resort, and do it all in the window between now and when the next scratch-build project at another park will be well underway.

monothingie

Premium Member
So a rethemed Dinosaur and a rethemed spinner? The only added capacity comes from a possible third attraction?
Just curious, what is actually being proposed for the Encanto ride? Even taking out the surrounding trees and support buildings, it’s not a massive area for a C or D Ticket dark ride.
1710815382934.png

James Alucobond

Just curious, what is actually being proposed for the Encanto ride? Even taking out the surrounding trees and support buildings, it’s not a massive area for a C or D Ticket dark ride.
View attachment 773716
It's been demonstrated in the past that it's large enough for Mystic Manor, so it can easily support a large-scale dark ride. Also, if the artwork remains accurate, the courtyard in front of Casita is to take over the entire Dinoland carnival area with the spinner/carousel being pushed farther out of the space.

monothingie

Premium Member
DHS isn't boxed in. There are expansion pads.
There are expansion areas, but it’s not as accessible as they are in other parks. If they had chosen the original approach to SWGE it would have been much easier to make better use of expansion without having to tear things down to get it.
What they're thinking is they want to renew a park offering whose draw doesn't quite match its expense, increase interest in AK in general, make use of properties they feel are underrepresented at the resort, and do it all in the window between now and when the next scratch-build project at another park will be well underway.

Does an Indy reskin of Dino and a C/D ticket Encanto ride do that?

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

There are expansion areas, but it’s not as accessible as they are in other parks. If they had chosen the original approach to SWGE it would have been much easier to make better use of expansion without having to tear things down to get it.
Not sure what makes you think DHS' plots are so inaccessible.

Does and an Indy reskin of Dino and a C/D ticket Encanto ride do that?
Who said C/D ticket?

monothingie

Premium Member
It's been demonstrated in the past that it's large enough for Mystic Manor, so it can easily support a large-scale dark ride. Also, if the artwork remains accurate, the courtyard in front of Casita is to take over the entire Dinoland carnival area with the spinner/carousel being pushed farther out of the space.
Concept art can be misleading. It just seems like a very small area to work with. Unless they’re going for a Navi River Journey type ride where the queue is mostly outside?

yensidtlaw1969

What gets torn down to access the parking lot? What significant space do you have east of World Drive without extensive site prep? (Maybe right next to RNR?)

Enlighten us?
Have you considered maybe being less combatant with the people who seem to have information you want to know?

People generally say what they can - or less, if people repeatedly take an attitude.

monothingie

Premium Member
Have you considered maybe being less combatant with the people who seem to have information you want to know?

People generally say what they can - or less, if people repeatedly take an attitude.
Asking questions is not being combative. Respectfully I’m not sure why there’s the need to get so defensive.

yensidtlaw1969

Asking questions is not being combative.

Do you have information that I want to know?
Not automatically, no. But based on how many people liked that post and how quickly it seems like your posting history is speaking for itself. People notice.

I'll say that there are some interesting things in the works, and thankfully they seem not to be limited by what you think would limit them.

monothingie

Premium Member
Not automatically, no. But based on how many people liked that post and how quickly it seems like your posting history is speaking for itself. People notice.
I guess that popularity contest trophy got away from me yet again.

Honestly, I value all the information you provide, but you should stop taking any commentary or questioning of your information personally, because it isn’t. I don’t think I’ve ever responded with any personal commentary towards you. (And if I did that was wrong of me)
I'll say that there are some interesting things in the works, and thankfully they seem not to be limited by what you think would limit them.
Great to hear. I genuinely hope this time it’s fully realized. We’ve not always been as fortunate with what could have been if it weren’t for cuts and lack of foresight at multiple levels of the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom