EMH: Broken Idea

hokielutz

maybe they should consider opening 2 parks for evening EMH just for the summer months and for the Holiday Season?

I think you would see room rates jump up before this happens. The cost of keeping cast members on for an additional evening shift is going to really be expensive, and unless rates in increased to compensate, Disney loses $$ on that kind of move. If the goals of the park VPs are to increase their profit #'s each year, over the prior, then this is not going to excite them too much.

MKCP 1985

my personal experience, like many of yours, is that EMH at night works well at the Magic Kingdom and at Epcot, which parks really shine at night.

Disney Hollywood Studios evening magic hours are a hassle, because long before congestion at Pixar Place, the long lines at Rock n Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror took most of the fun out of the extra hours. It was like standing in line an extra hour to ride along with Aerosmith.

Evening hours at DAK was cool, but the park is really dark at night and lacks the "magic" feel of Epcot and MK. Still, well worth doing and riding Everest at night is something everyone who likes Everest should try and experience. :cool:

Morning EMH rewards the early risers and the general rule of thumb is to get park hoppers, enjoy the morning when you can do a lot before the floodgates open, then get out and enjoy another park the rest of the day.

I feel EMH is a great benefit for on property resort guests but you have to have a plan to get the most out of it. :)

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Hand held key scanners???

Evening EMH - crowded like nobody's business
Morning EMH - pretty darn good but it stinks getting up early.

Am I tripping here?, I swear I remember 2 years ago being in line for wristbands for the Evening EMH the CMs had scanners that they ran your room keys through - which I thought would dictate that you've you already got a wristband and you couldn't get anymore for that evening..hence preventing you from getting one for somebody else, etc.

that being said for whatever reason the evening EMH always seem way too crowded.

sarabi

I agree that morning EMH are not broken at all.
I don't mind evening EMH because then I know to avoid the EMH park and enjoy something else. Often another park is open during the same time... or there is always downtown disney, or things to do at the resort...

I think the math the OP uses that estimates 58,000 guests would use EMH is skewed. While potentially accurate, the math assumes that every single hotel room is filled (and even if every one of them is booked, that doesn't mean the guests have arrived to their room yet), and also assumes on AVERAGE 4 people are in each room, which I find to be a really high number. Lots of couples go too. Lastly, it assumes that every single person who CAN do EMH is doing it. Which means NO resort guests would be at the other parks, at their resort, at a restaurant, at downtown disney, etc, which in my experience has been incorrect. So this math is a bit alarmist, I think.

I think what is broken is the CMs not checking the resort IDs and wrist bands. Going back to the broken fastpass thread, perhaps an automated system can be used for this too. Scan your ID, out pops a wrist band. Want to go on a ride? You have to scan your wristband which would have a barcode at the entrance.

This again protects the CMs from dealing with too many belligerant non resort guests for doing their job... which I presume is why they've become lax in doing it in the first place.

DisneyGigi

Evening EMH - crowded like nobody's business
Morning EMH - pretty darn good but it stinks getting up early.

Am I tripping here?, I swear I remember 2 years ago being in line for wristbands for the Evening EMH the CMs had scanners that they ran your room keys through - which I thought would dictate that you've you already got a wristband and you couldn't get anymore for that evening..hence preventing you from getting one for somebody else, etc.

that being said for whatever reason the evening EMH always seem way too crowded.

That is the way that is was when we used it last year at AK. DH walked away while the rest of us were getting ours and I handed the CM his as well as mine by accident. She scanned it and when he came back and she scanned his card again it showed that it was already scanned.Which was okay once she saw that he was with me and knew that I had handed her his by mistake. They also put the wristband on after the card was scanned.
They were being careful I don't see how anyone could get more than one if all CMs were as careful as she was.

kcw

I know most people haven't had problems with morning EMH, but when I was there in July with my family, they didn't check anything!!! I got my family in on my maingate, so our KTTW cards never left our wallets. I wasn't really even thinking about it, but then after we had taken a few steps down MS, my mom said "wait, they didn't even check for our room keys??" So I dunno, maybe they just assumed that since I was a CM I wouldn't be dishonest? (sadly, that's a pretty risky assumption if they do that with all CMs!)

Anyways, even at evening EMH, I've never had my room key scanned-- so I think the biggest flaw is that people can get their wristbands, and then pass their cards off to friends & family.... I would think that a "ticket dispenser" of some sort would be fairly inexpensive and would have to eventually break even when it comes to CM labor costs for EMH

Agreed. Lord knows that if you're traveling with a female in your party that you probably won't make morning EMH anyway since they take so long to get ready! :ROFLOL:(I'm just speaking from experience with my gf. Don't mean to offend anyone!)

ha my dad figured this one out early- he's got my mom and then three daughters. When we go on vacations, he always wakes up first, and showers and gets ready. Then he wakes the rest of us up and gets out of the way! He usually has about an hour and a half to two hours to kill each morning!

maybe they should consider opening 2 parks for evening EMH just for the summer months and for the Holiday Season?
that's already been covered earlier in the thread... many people on here are really underestimating the costs for keeping the parks open

I dont blame people for being upset about getting kicked out of line because EMH rolled around on a broken down attraction. They should have just let those people stay in ride, complete TSM, and then they could leave the park.
why??? If a ride broke down an hour before park close, they would clear out the line once closing came around- they wouldn't let people just stay in the queue until the ride happend to start up again?

diddy_mouse

I feel like I'm one of the few people who hasn't had a bad experience with evening EMHs (we have yet to try the morning, just can't get up that early :lol:) The past two years that we've gone my husband and I have done evening EMHs with no issues. I remember getting my room key scanned at the location we went to, then receiving my wristband. The only park I think we felt didn't deliver on the ride end of EMHs was Epcot. Now, we were visiting during early December and the crowds had been manageable. I think the only thing we did that night was see O! Canada and walk around World Showcase (which was wonderful!) Also it was cool to see the inferno barge burn-off....but I digress....

I will agree with others in the fact that I miss E-Ride nights. That was truly the best way to experience the MK after hours. I'm curious how February will turn out for us, never been during that time and looking forward to EMHs once again!

aeroc33

Am I the only one who gets a kick out of the the "we can get a lot done" phrase? Like they're bringing in the crops or something....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom