Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I didn't say you did. I read in the thread that because of review bombing, you couldn't take it seriously.

The problem is review bombing goes both ways. There's nothing stopping people from going on the review sites and giving movies perfect scores. My point was, people can't say Peter pan and Wendy reviews aren't proof that the movie wasn't good. Then say it's proof that turning red was great.

It's just a bit hard to believe that Disney would sacrifice the box office completely if they thought the movie was going to hit mass appeal. They could have released it for the standard 45ish days then go D+.
Disney purposely was eating billions of dollars in deficits to win the streaming wars. So, it doesn't strain credulity for me.

erasure fan1

I mean I truly wasn’t talking about you but you just jumped in and responded. It’s quite hysterical actually. Oh and I meant to ask but how much is the rent for the space that I’m taking up in your head. 😉
Well then you need to pay better attention. Your response was in direct response to my comment. And so therefore I responded. And the rents about quarter fyi. I tried to get more, but they said you weren't worth it. 😉

doctornick

It's just a bit hard to believe that Disney would sacrifice the box office completely if they thought the movie was going to hit mass appeal. They could have released it for the standard 45ish days then go D+.

Don't really see why that would be hard to believe. In early 2022, Disney was still hard core pushing D+ subs - this was before Wall St started turning attention to profitability for streamers - and Disney the company was determined to keep growing D+. Turning Red was released March 11, 2022 and there wasn't a whole lot of significant programming released around then for Disney+ - Boba Fett had already ended Feb 9, the first season of the Proud Family was stared Feb 23 so was being released then Cheaper by the Dozen March 18, The Wonderful Spring of Mickey Mouse March 25, Moon Knight premier March 30. That's all I can find (please feel to correct if there were more) so it wasn't exactly a time of tons notable releases so it's easy to see why they would have buffed things up with premiering Turning Red on there.

Also, I'm not sure they had a "standard" release schedule at that point of theaters to D+ as Encanto in late 2021 was I believe really the only film at that point to have gone through the process.

TP2000

That's puts all my fears at rest. This movie doesn't need advertising. It's Pixar. They never fail.

Exactly. It's fine. This is all fine. Totally going to plan. It's fine! :cool:

This Is Fine!.jpg

Phroobar

Give them a minute… The Little Mermaid is the focus now as it is Disney’s next release… I am sure Elemental’s marketing will come in a couple of weeks
I know Disney's marketing department only has like five people and Pixar lost their entire marketing department to covid so they are overwhelmed trying to make people see The Little Mermaid but Elemental releases June 19th. That movie is being greeted with crickets.

Ghost93

Give them a minute… The Little Mermaid is the focus now as it is Disney’s next release… I am sure Elemental’s marketing will come in a couple of weeks
I still think it's ridiculous to release Elemental in June, competing against Disney's own Indiana Jones 5, along with other blockbusters like Spiderverse 2, Transformers 5 (or 6?), The Flash, etc.

June is way too overstuffed and moving Elemental to a July release date would give it more room to breathe. Even if Elemental is great, I feel like this movie is being set up for failure by being released along with several major blockbusters with built-in fanbases.

Tha Realest

I still think it's ridiculous to release Elemental in June, competing against Disney's own Indiana Jones 5, along with other blockbusters like Spiderverse 2, Transformers 5 (or 6?), The Flash, etc.

June is way too overstuffed and moving Elemental to a July release date would give it more room to breathe. Even if Elemental is great, I feel like this movie is being set up for failure by being released along with several major blockbusters with built-in fanbases.
It absolutely is. This film has zero awareness.

Disney Analyst

I get thinking the calendar is crowded, but the general audience for most those films does not really crossover with the audience for Elemental.

Is there any similar, family animation coming out in June?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know Disney's marketing department only has like five people and Pixar lost their entire marketing department to covid so they are overwhelmed trying to make people see The Little Mermaid but Elemental releases June 19th. That movie is being greeted with crickets.
In front of my viewing of Super Mario Bros. there was an Elemental trailer shown. So its not complete crickets.

Phroobar

Point is there is some marketing happening. But I think its smart for them to focus on one Disney film at a time for the huge marketing push.
It is about as much marketing as Strange World got. Disney is the largest media company in the world and should be able to focus on more than one movie at a time. They have a marketing department of thousands of people yet the Pixar movie gets the shaft.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It is about as much marketing as Strange World got. Disney is the largest media company in the world and should be able to focus on more than one movie at a time. They have a marketing department of thousands of people yet the Pixar movie gets the shaft.
Modern eyeballs have so much put in front of them every day, attention spans can only handle so much. To have back-to-back-to-back marketing for all the latest Disney films all on loop on TV, internet, etc would be overwhelming at best and a turnoff at worst.

So you market the next upcoming project first, and then as once that release date nears you start to market the next one, and so on. It keeps the short attention spans that is the modern audience always engaged.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom