Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

Magenta Panther

That's some first-rate cope there. A Pixar film will barely scrape out of the red. How the mighty have fallen.

And just how much merchandising money will this movie make? It's a pretty good bet that, merch-wise, it's no Toy Story.

Elemental might be a good movie, but Disney's PR screw-ups made it stumble out of the gate. Not much to celebrate here.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The exec salary’s was something I wanted to bring up in another thread and never did. I was wondering how that played into budgets for these films. Especially since the majority of the exec teams are credited as “story” or “studio leadership”
So all these people screaming "Lower the budgets!" in these threads are really promoting for off-shoring the production and getting rid of creative executives. Something a lot claim they don't want.....

Disstevefan1

So all these people screaming "Lower the budgets!" in these threads are really promoting for off-shoring the production and getting rid of creative executives. Something a lot claim they don't want.....
Are we saying these days, its not possible to both lower the budgets and keep the work in the US?

If that is the case, it will be rare that movies will break even on the box office alone going forward.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Are we saying these days, its not possible to both lower the budgets and keep the work in the US?

If that is the case, it will be rare that movies will break even on the box office alone going forward.
Labor costs in the US are traditionally more expensive than other parts of the world due to our predominantly higher cost of living.

Shift that work to those overseas and you can save on labor costs, hence lower the budget.

I don't have the hard numbers, but I'm sure animators and creative executives in California working for Pixar or WDAS makes more than animators and creative executives working in France for Illumination.

Disstevefan1

Labor costs in the US are traditionally more expensive than other parts of the world due to our predominantly higher cost of living.

Shift that work to those overseas and you can save on labor costs, hence lower the budget.

I don't have the hard numbers, but I'm sure animators and creative executives in California working for Pixar or WDAS makes more than animators and creative executives working in France for Illumination.
So to answer my question:

The answer is No.

The ironic thing is, they will send the work off shore, still have bloated budgets and still not be able to break even at the box office alone.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So to answer my question:

The answer is No.

The ironic thing is, they will send the work off shore, still have bloated budgets and still not be able to break even at the box office alone.
I don't believe they will send the work off-shore, I never got any indication of that happening in anything being reported. So not sure where you get that idea.

Disstevefan1

I don't believe they will send the work off-shore, I never got any indication of that happening in anything being reported. So not sure where you get that idea.
I think I was reading one of your posts that folks are screaming about lowering budgets and that could lead to moving work off shore and I simply asked if it was possible today to both lower budgets and keep work in the US?

There was never a clear answer to that so that is probably a no.

I don't like to see work go off shore but it looks like they are doing that anyway for example the future box office smash Snow White 2024.

Its sad that in the case of Snow White 2024 they will both have moved some work off shore AND will lose big money on this one too.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think I was reading one of your posts that folks are screaming about lowering budgets and that could lead to moving work off shore and I simply asked if it was possible today to both lower budgets and keep work in the US?

I don't like to see work go off shore but it looks like they are doing that anyway for example the future box office smash Snow White 2024.

Its sad that in the case of Snow White 2024 they will both have moved some work off shore AND will lose big money on this one too.
There is a difference between talking about animation, which this thread is about, and live action movie production.

Live action movies get filmed around the world, they are already "off-shore" such as being filmed in the UK which is the case for the live action Snow White.

Animation however is done by the animation studios for the most part where ever they are located. For Pixar that is in Emeryville and for WDAS that is in Burbank. For Illumination their animators are located in Paris.

Disney Analyst

On-Camera is very different than animation.

Many films can have locales globally, but still be under a US union agreement for the main cast and crew, plus local agreements for local talent and crews.

Disstevefan1

There is a difference between talking about animation, which this thread is about, and live action movie production.

Live action movies get filmed around the world, they are already "off-shore" such as being filmed in the UK which is the case for the live action Snow White.

Animation however is done by the animation studios for the most part where ever they are located. For Pixar that is in Emeryville and for WDAS that is in Burbank. For Illumination their animators are located in Paris.
Got it. Animation is going to cost what it costs.

The only solution is to create stories that will get folks to buy tickets and go to the theater.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Got it. Animation is going to cost what it costs.

The only solution is to create stories that will get folks to buy tickets and go to the theater.
That is not at all what I said. I'm not sure if you're intentionally not reading or what.

There are certainly ways to trim costs to lower budgets for an animation film, and according to the Pixar executive they are looking for ways to trim costs. But what was also said is their budget has more added in, such as Creative Executive pay, than other animation studios.

And with some exception Disney Animation and Pixar are still both creating stories that folks want to see. As noted by the legs that Elemental has seen. Remember that the audience is still being retrained to see Disney Animation and Pixar movies in theaters instead of waiting for them to appear on D+.

Disstevefan1

That is not at all what I said. I'm not sure if you're intentionally not reading or what.

There are certainly ways to trim costs to lower budgets for an animation film, and according to the Pixar executive they are looking for ways to trim costs. But what was also said is their budget has more added in, such as Creative Executive pay, than other animation studios.

And with some exception Disney Animation and Pixar are still both creating stories that folks want to see. As noted by the legs that Elemental has seen. Remember that the audience is still being retrained to see Disney Animation and Pixar movies in theaters instead of waiting for them to appear on D+.
Thanks for explaining. I am sure Elemental will beak even or make money eventually.

I am looking forward to seeing it on streaming, either purchase the digital copy or wait for it to get on D+ depending on what my family wants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom