Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

wtyy21

Looks like Elemental may arrived in digital earlier than expected, while the film still playing at theatres in Japan. The film is expected to be played at 1.78:1 aspect ratio for digital release.

Last edited:

Phroobar

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm waiting for the one that says
Pixar's Elemental Is Now The Biggest Original Hollywood Movie of ALL TIME!

Who writes this crap?
I thought this would be good news for a forum which has been bemoaning remakes and reboots and sequels and doubling down on IP franchises that pre-exist. And they want an original movie based on an original screenplay. And Elemental is such a movie, and among all such original movies since the pandemic it has earned the most. That should be good news for those who want original screenplays out of their movies.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I thought this would be good news for a forum which has been bemoaning remakes and reboots and sequels and doubling down on IP franchises that pre-exist. And they want an original movie based on an original screenplay. And Elemental is such a movie, and among all such original movies since the pandemic it has earned the most. That should be good news for those who want original screenplays out of their movies.
I especially like when its said "just make better movies", as if Hollywood didn't think to do that.

Which shows that most are talking out a certain orifice.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Elemental has weathered the storm.

The Pixar movie cleared the $400 million mark at the global box office on Tuesday, becoming the first Hollywood animated movie based on original IP to do so since before the pandemic. Elemental finished Tuesday with a domestic tally of $146.2 million and $257.5 million overseas for a worldwide total of $403.7 million.

While that’s far less than many Pixar titles, it puts Elemental well ahead of last year’s ill-fated Lightyear, which limped to $218.8 million globally. It also means Elemental, which cost a reported $200 million to make before marketing, won’t be a huge money theatrical loser after all."

------

"Elemental has also done well overseas, including turning into a juggernaut in South Korea, which leads all markets with $44.8 million so far. Per Disney, admissions are expected to hit 6 million on Thursday — meaning that tickets have been sold for one out of every eight people in that country. Other milestones achieved in South Korea include: No. 3 animated film of all time behind Walt Disney Animation’s two Frozen movies; No. 2 release of 2023 among all films behind local title Round Up; and No. 5 Hollywood release in the pandemic era after Avatar: The Way of Water, Spider-Man: No Way Home and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Elemental opens in its final major market, Japan, on Friday."

Full article below.

Disstevefan1

OK, using the rule that Disney sees half of the 400m, Disney got back the cost to make it.
I do not know how much it cost to market it, but let's say, 100m, so they need to make another 200m at the box office to break even.

TP2000

The film will lose millions and is yet another huge investment without an acceptable return for the studio.

This “tall Pygmy” spin of “Well, it’s not as horrible as Strange World!” and “It held on a little longer after a terrible start!” is frankly just pathetic for the once powerful Disney/Pixar brand.

As of yesterday's global box office data, Elemental has now lost $113 Million.

But hey, Lightyear lost $189 Million last year, so Elemental is $76 Million less worse at the box office. Or something. 🥳

Battle Of The Pixar Flops.jpg

TP2000

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
OK, using the rule that Disney sees half of the 400m, Disney got back the cost to make it.
I do not know how much it cost to market it, but let's say, 100m, so they need to make another 200m at the box office to break even.
Yes.

In the theatrical window it will show a $200M loss.

It then goes into other windows to make more revenue and then streaming.

Imagine how many DVD sales will take place in Korea!

wtyy21

It doesn't count Oppenheimer i believe, due to nature that the film was based by the book American Prometheus. Therefore, Oppenheimer is not truly original film. Barbie is also not original film either, due to fact that the live-action version of Barbie was based by already established IP.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It doesn't count Oppenheimer i believe, due to nature that the film was based by the book American Prometheus. Therefore, Oppenheimer is not truly original film. Barbie is also not original film either, due to fact that the live-action version of Barbie was based by already established IP.
Barbie was also animated movies.

So, Barbie is the thing this board hates the most: A live-action remake!!!

Casper Gutman

Yes.

In the theatrical window it will show a $200M loss.

It then goes into other windows to make more revenue and then streaming.

Imagine how many DVD sales will take place in Korea!
By the silly rule of thumb it’s going to show a loss well under $100 million. But the rule of thumb is completely arbitrary. It includes marketing costs that are intended to boost profits on secondary platforms but doesn’t include those platforms. The ignorance on these boards about how the entertainment industry actually works is matched only by the complete unearned confidence in that ignorance.

Read a book! (This isn’t directed at you, Penguin).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom