Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

Ghost93

This was part of Chapeks brilliant “pump and dump” plan for D+. He thought that constantly pumping out content for the streamer that they would just keep increasing subscribers at a rate that would cover the billions they threw into it.

Here we are years later….
Disney plus needs GOOD new shows and content for adults.

The problem is, most Disney Plus original shows are awful and any interesting adult content is on Hulu. The sooner Disney+ and Hulu merge the better. I think both are weak services, but combined they could amount to something worthwhile.

MagicHappens1971

Disney plus needs GOOD new shows and content for adults.

The problem is, most Disney Plus original shows are awful and any interesting adult content is on Hulu. The sooner Disney+ and Hulu merge the better. I think both are weak services, but combined they could amount to something worthwhile.
I think the other problem is that there is no real focus on any “original” shows for D+, to your point that they need to merge Hulu & D+ as fast as possible.

If you’re not a big Star Wars/Marvel fan there hasn’t been much quality content tv show wise.

Ghost93

I think the other problem is that there is no real focus on any “original” shows for D+, to your point that they need to merge Hulu & D+ as fast as possible.

If you’re not a big Star Wars/Marvel fan there hasn’t been much quality content tv show wise.
And even the recent Star Wars/Marvel shows, with the exception of Andor, have been rather lackluster.

The Mandalorian seasons 1-2, Wandavision and Loki all felt like important TV viewing that dominated pop culture. That was partially because they aired during COVID, but also because they were quality shows.

But recent Star Wars and Marvel shows like The Book of Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Mando Season 3, the Bad Batch, She-Hulk and Secret Invasion have just been mediocre. Not awful, but nothing you'd sign up for Disney Plus for.

Sir_Cliff

This was part of Chapeks brilliant “pump and dump” plan for D+. He thought that constantly pumping out content for the streamer that they would just keep increasing subscribers at a rate that would cover the billions they threw into it.

Here we are years later….
I agree, however I must admit that I have some sympathy for Chapek in that Wall Street was sending all the signals that he should do just that at the time and rewarding him by sending the share price to ridiculous heights. In other words, he didn't exactly trick anyone with this strategy and, at the time, investors were wildly applauding. Worth thinking about at the present time when the share price is going down.

As to @Ghost93's point, I think I'm saddest about Luca being somewhat sidelined. Encanto has at least been recognised as something of a phenomenon and seems more akin to one of the films that lost money upon its original release but becomes a classic. Maybe it's just me, but I found Luca such a sweet and endearing film with a lovely score to boot that I hope it isn't written off for coming out during that weird 'direct to streaming' period.

MagicHappens1971

.Not awful, but nothing you'd sign up for Disney Plus for.
I think this is just another part the streamers will have to figure out. For myself, I stay subscribed to Disney+, Hulu, Netflix & Max. I don’t see the point in cancelling and re-subscribing, also because I typically find something to watch on them as I don’t have cable. I also have Prime Video but who doesn’t

Sir_Cliff

Living in Europe where this is more or less already the case, I 100% agree. Honestly, if I didn't have Star I would struggle to justify continuing to pay for Disney+ and would probably just stick with Netflix and HBO Max. As someone who is not interested in the 'franchises' and doesn't have kids, Disney+ doesn't have that much value to me on its own. With Star/Hulu, they also get people like me.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think this is just another part the streamers will have to figure out. For myself, I stay subscribed to Disney+, Hulu, Netflix & Max. I don’t see the point in cancelling and re-subscribing, also because I typically find something to watch on them as I don’t have cable. I also have Prime Video but who doesn’t
This is where price point becomes so important, most people will do this up to a certain price point, once it surpasses that point they’ll cancel though.

I had a $9.99 gym membership for a decade that I used a couple dozen times a year, at $10 a month it was worth keeping it for the random days I wanted it, but when they raised it to $14.99 I couldn’t justify it anymore.

I currently pay $15 for D+/Hulu/ESPN+, at that price it’s not even a question of value for myself, at $20 a month I’d start to question it, at $25 I’d likely cancel… those numbers are going to vary greatly by individual though, the secret is finding the sweet spot.

wtyy21

I’m seeing it online that Disney intends to keep Elemental in theaters until Labor Day. Will this be Disneys longest (post-Covid) theatrical window?
Maybe, but another animated film (Wish) may also getting longer theatrical window, due to disastrous box office flops of Lightyear and Strange World last year (both films are shorter theatrical windows as well as Encanto). However, that's not the case, because the highest grossing film this year (Super Mario Bros. Movie) had shorter theatrical window (41 days).

Jedijax719

I’m seeing it online that Disney intends to keep Elemental in theaters until Labor Day. Will this be Disneys longest (post-Covid) theatrical window?
Of course they will keep it in theaters until then. Have you seen how well it's doing? It will be in theaters through September.

The movie will end up with over a 5.0X multiplier and have a domestic run of between $150-$160 million. Pretty impressive coming off the heels of Lightyear and Strange World.

And I'm guessing Wish will have a long box office run as well considering it is a call back to classic princess movies AND the absolutely BLEEK holiday release schedule. They'll want that puppy to be in theaters throughout the holiday haul.

MagicHappens1971

The movie will end up with over a 5.0X multiplier and have a domestic run of between $150-$160 million. Pretty impressive coming off the heels of Lightyear and Strange World.
It’s still at ~$120M domestically, it would be amazing if it could push past $180M domestically, but I think it’s too late for that far of a jump.
And I'm guessing Wish will have a long box office run as well considering it is a call back to classic princess movies AND the absolutely BLEEK holiday release schedule. They'll want that puppy to be in theaters throughout the holiday haul.
Oh I agree, Wish will be in theaters until well into the new year. I think Disney will ramp up its “Disney 100” marketing and focus it into Wish. Hoping Wish can bring in some big numbers for the Mouse. Maybe $600M+ globally. Time will tell. It’s the first real “Princess” movie in ages and the animation looks incredible.

Vegas Disney Fan

Is this Disneys choice, the theaters choice, or both?

I can’t imagine theaters would keep a movie if it wasn’t selling tickets but I don’t know how the industry works.

Some box office analysts now think Elemental could hit $500 million. I think that's highly optimistic, but I would have thought that completely impossible a few weeks ago considering how low it started!

Disney hasn’t had a good year in the theaters but both Elemental and TLM performed better than I expected given their bad starts. I still don’t think Disney is happy but they are probably breathing a huge sigh of relief they did as well as they did.

Ghost93

Is this Disneys choice, the theaters choice, or both?

I can’t imagine theaters would keep a movie if it wasn’t selling tickets but I don’t know how the industry works.
Both. Disney is doing longer theatrical windows to prevent people from "waiting till it's free on Disney Plus." Theaters are keeping Elemental because it's continuing to make money for them.

If a movie isn't continuing to make money (like the Flash), the theaters drop it.

doctornick

The problem is, most Disney Plus original shows are awful and any interesting adult content is on Hulu.

I’ve enjoyed most of the original content on D+. I don’t think there’s been enough of it but most series have ranged from “fine” to decent.

National Treasure is the only series I watched that I feel was a waste of time and I regretted it.

Ironically some of the original programming that I really liked and would recommend has been removed from the service (mysterious Benedict society, Earth to Ned, Crater) so it doesn’t bode well for more under the radar but decent stuff to happen. The service can’t be so Franchise/expensive programming based. They need to figure out how to have lower cost quality programming in between the Marvel and Star Wars shows.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Some box office analysts now think Elemental could hit $500 million. I think that's highly optimistic, but I would have thought that completely impossible a few weeks ago considering how low it started!

It’s a solid movie. Probably deserves a better BO than it will get, and I think some of that is a more negative view of Disney in general right now.

I did not know what the short was going in. That made my heart happy. 😀Even if Dug’s voice seemed a bit soft/quiet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom