Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

Disstevefan1

What is the source of the formula you are using here?
The rule of thumb is Disney would get about 50 percent of the gross global box office.

So if a movie cost Disney 200m to make and let’s say in the case of Elemental they cheaped out and spent 50m on marketing, Disney cost to make and market Elemental about 250m.

Therefore, to break even, Disney must gross at the box office, about 500m (2 times 250)

A lot of folks will give you different numbers but this is a crude example.

It’s important to note that:

It was stated the “budget” of the film was 200m. We have no idea if they went over budget. If they were under budget, the access media would be screaming it from the mountain top.

I most likely under estimated the cost to market it at 50m, it was probably more.

The good thing is the box office is not the only way a movie makes money, obviously there is rent or purchase on streaming and DVD sales and merch.

Therefore, it’s not outside the realm of possibility that Elemental may break even in the very long run.

Its just that the box office numbers, unless a movie is a blockbuster and makes a lot of money at the box office, is not the full measure like it was in the old days when THE ONLY way to see a movie was at the theater.

That said, I think the box office numbers is a measure of the popularity of a film still.

Last thing, I am not so sure TWDC’s objective is to make movies for mass appeal. They make the movies they want to make. So far, the company can afford to do it apparently.

Last edited:

wtyy21

The rule of thumb is Disney would get about 50 percent of the gross global box office.

So if a movie cost Disney 200m to make and let’s say in the case if Elemental they cheaped out and spent 50m on marketing, Disney cost to make and market Elemental about 250m.

Therefore, to break even, Disney must gross at the box office, about 500m (2 times 250)

A lot of folks will give you different numbers but this is a crude example.

It’s important to note that:

It was stated the “budget” of the film was 200m. We have no idea if they went over budget. If they were under budget, the access media would be screaming it from the mountain top.

I most likely under estimated the cost to market it at 50m, it was probably more.

The good thing is the box office is not the only way a movie makes money, obviously there is rent or purchase on streaming and DVD sales and merch.

Therefore, it’s not outside the realm of possibility that Elemental may break even in the very long run.

Its just that the box office numbers, unless a movie is a blockbuster and makes a lot of money at the box office, is not the full measure like it was in the old days when THE ONLY way to see a movie was at the theater.

That said, I think the box office numbers is a measure of the popularity of a film still.

Last thing, I am not so sure TWDC’s objective is to make movies for mass appeal. They make the movies they want to make. So far, the company can afford to do it apparently.
It would probably work for Disney family-friendly films like Elemental, whose International box office now accounts over 56% ($142M) of box office revenue of the film ($251M), which would see how the film performed in another major markets like the UK (released last Friday), Spain, and then Japan that are yet to be released. Additionally, there are streaming and home media released figures that would be counted.
Screenshot_2023-07-10-07-16-50-18.png

However, this rule regarding Disney box office break even may face an uphill for $295M budget cost for a another film, as the film will need to achieve so-high box office ($850-$900M) to break even.

Disney Analyst

Not seeing any UK numbers for its opening weekend there (yet), but things are picking up overseas.

In brighter news for Disney (and Pixar), Elemental is showing fiery improvement overseas. The current frame was good for $30M from 48 markets, repping a 21% dip. Several major markets saw uptick including Australia (+32%), Korea (+14%) and Brazil (+3%), as well as Uruguay (+127%), New Zealand (+119%), Vietnam (+41%), Chile (+40%) and Israel (+13%). Korea’s 4th weekend was the highest weekend since the film’s release; the movie seems to have taken on a mind of its own there.

wtyy21

Elemental opens with $3.9 million box office opening weekend in the UK. Aside from Korea itself, the numbers from UK and Japan (released in August) are closely to watch as they may have greater impact for Elemental's international box office due to their status being major film markets.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I think it shows a promising sign for Pixar's future. Elemental can't be called a smash hit and may not break even, but it can be viewed as a success in helping repair the Pixar brand after Lightyear and after so many other Pixar films were sent straight to streaming.

I mean a lot of people on here praised Puss in Boots, so if we put aside the budget differences for a moment, is Elemental following its trajectory a good sign? Given the state of the box office in general.

Ghost93

I mean a lot of people on here praised Puss in Boots, so if we put aside the budget differences for a moment, is Elemental following its trajectory a good sign? Given the state of the box office in general.
Yeah Puss in Boots looked like a flop initially, but had good word of mouth and legs. Elemental seems to be in a similar situation.

I liked Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, although I find its hardcore fandom annoying. Some people have had the gall to say they thought it should have won the Oscar over Del Toro's Pinnochio! Insanity!

Sir_Cliff

I think it shows a promising sign for Pixar's future. Elemental can't be called a smash hit and may not break even, but it can be viewed as a success in helping repair the Pixar brand after Lightyear and after so many other Pixar films were sent straight to streaming.
Must say this film is the big bright spot for Disney this summer for me, even if it doesn't make a profit.

I'm not in the camp that sees TLM as a flop, but I also wouldn't complain if this was the last remake and we never spoke of them again. I do, though, want to see more original films and less sequels from Pixar (and WDFA). So, seeing Elemental find an audience after a slow start gives me some hope things are building back up to quality original animation being good business.

Ghost93

Must say this film is the big bright spot for Disney this summer for me, even if it doesn't make a profit.

I'm not in the camp that sees TLM as a flop, but I also wouldn't complain if this was the last remake and we never spoke of them again. I do, though, want to see more original films and less sequels from Pixar (and WDFA). So, seeing Elemental find an audience after a slow start gives me some hope things are building back up to quality original animation being good business.
That's what frustrates me about so many Disney original animated movies being sent straight to streaming or getting short theatrical windows.

While I think Disney's Marvel, Star Wars and live action remakes have mostly sucked in recent years, Disney's original animated films have been mostly good-to-great. Soul, Luca, Turning Red, Raya and the Last Dragon, Encanto and Elemental have all been good IMO.

MagicHappens1971

That's what frustrates me about so many Disney original animated movies being sent straight to streaming or getting short theatrical windows.
This was part of Chapeks brilliant “pump and dump” plan for D+. He thought that constantly pumping out content for the streamer that they would just keep increasing subscribers at a rate that would cover the billions they threw into it.

Here we are years later….

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom