Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

TP2000

It's a really solid Pixar film and I hope it continues to find an audience with time.

Let's hope, as that's probably the best case scenario now.

I bought the Blu-Ray of Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? several years ago and watch it once per year.

Maybe Elemental will be the Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? for Gen Z? As you say, with time?

Everyone who starred in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? was long since dead by the time I bought the Blu-Ray, except Sidney Pointier and Katherine Hepburn's niece (who is definitely the weakest link). So I wonder who the profits from my Blu-Ray purchase in 2016 went to?

Elemental would be so lucky to be selling copies of itself 50 years from now.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

So when is it on Disney+ ?
Before Halloween?

It feels like Disney is still experimenting with their release schedule.

Strange World was on D+ a month after hitting theaters, Lightyear was on D+ 2 months after hitting theaters, Ant-man and the Wasp was released to paid download approximately 3 months after it hit theaters and then was released on D+ a month later. Guardians 3 is scheduled to release on paid download 3 months after it hit theaters but still doesn’t have a D+ release date yet, I wouldn’t be surprised if it‘s a month or 2 after that.

It’s only a guess but I’m thinking Elemental will be available for paid download the end of August and D+ around Halloween.

Disstevefan1

If not adjusting for the cost of movie tickets for the given years, the numbers are literally misleading.

Tickets sold is a better measure in my opinion.

Disney Analyst

Yes, I'm drawing a blank on that too. Is it possible he means 2017 when Coco came out?

Either way, I agree that we need to hope the original films start earning money! I really don't want any more Toy Story sequels!

I am wondering?

Unless they consider Peter Rabbit original?

Maybe they mean from 2018 to now, no original work has hit that threshold... last being 2017's Coco.

I dunno.

Sir_Cliff

Interesting way of spinning that.
I don't think anyone would deny this is a very disappointing result, but the strong holds (and increases in international markets) provide at least a glimmer of hope that those who are seeing the film are liking it and showing there may still be a market for original animated films. I'd rather grasp onto that than resign myself to a future of Frozens, Toy Storys, and Incrediblesssss into eternity.

Ghost93

Interesting way of spinning that.
I'm not sure what you want; no one denies that Elemental is a box-office disappointment.

However, considering how well the movie has held at the box office the past few weeks, it is showing the impact of positive word of mouth and that things aren't as bad as originally feared. The film's disappointing opening weekend speaks to how the Pixar brand had been damaged. Elemental's perseverance at the box office in the following weeks speaks to the quality of the movie itself and offers hope for future Pixar animated films.

Jedijax719

This movie will end up around $140-$150 million domestic. That is hardly a disappointment considering the last few animated and Pixar films. It is a disappointment compared to pre-pandemic and is very much a disappointment compared to the biggest animated films since the pandemic, that's for sure. BUT compared to Disney's animated post-pandemic movies, it's quite a bit higher.

Disstevefan1

Would you mind posting the stats of # of tickets sold for all wide releases for the past several decades? Thanks!
I thought I saw the numbers site had tickets sold?

Anyway, good thing the data is not readily available so the folks can’t see the truth about what’s happening and they can’t do the spin they do about todays movies.

wtyy21

This movie will end up around $140-$150 million domestic. That is hardly a disappointment considering the last few animated and Pixar films. It is a disappointment compared to pre-pandemic and is very much a disappointment compared to the biggest animated films since the pandemic, that's for sure. BUT compared to Disney's animated post-pandemic movies, it's quite a bit higher.
For me, this movie will end up being higher than you statement, around $160-$200 million from domestic box office, considering that positive word-to-mouth from the general audience. If we only included the theatrical alone, might still be financial disappointment for Pixar unless they can add streaming and home media rentals to the movie's revenue to generate the profit.

Regardless, the only thing where Elemental achive its box office profit/break even, aside from home media rentals and streaming releases, is from international box office, especially in Korea, where the film had its high box office earning considering that Peter Sohn is a director of korean heritage. The film had only released in the UK this week (which is the widest opening title) and yet to be release in Japan until August. So, we expecting the box office revenue for those two major markets to be bit higher than another markets.

Disstevefan1

I would not totally discount this movies endpoint yet. This could be pulling a Last Wish leg-out, which still doubled its take at this stage.
So far global box office is 207m, and it cost 200m to make, let forget the marketing costs which were 50m

They need to make about 193m more for Disney to break even not counting the marketing costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom