Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

BuddyThomas

I mean, you're definitely right on some level. Bouncing around from thread to thread just spewing hate about things people like would be pretty toxic. I can also understand how seemingly baseless negativity can make these threads a drag to read. But I also believe we as consumers have the right to hope products we dislike, fail. That's very different from hoping your ex fails in a relationship because they broke up with you. But I suppose this is all very subjective.

To tie this back into the thread topic of Elemental, we'll see how it does. I mean I have my own predictions on how the film will do, but I'll wait to see how everything pans out.
"But I also believe we as consumers have the right to hope products we dislike, fail" - I guess (maybe) that is okay, but most of the people posting the most negative commentary possible on all of these films have not even seen them, which is totally and absolutely ridiculous.

BrianLo

But I also believe we as consumers have the right to hope products we dislike, fail.

This is more an issue of hoping the product itself wins up being bad, so that it can fail, because you want the company to fail. Hence my confusion, the ire isn't really aimed correctly at the product this time.

I.e. being disappointed in social commentary or cheap remakes or casting choice or lack of an original film idea, etc.

Trauma

Ya I get that view. I think where I get lost is when the company has a 'win' - aka an original and Pixar formula, but we still want it to lose because we hate the management.

It's almost like if you hate the General Manager so much you are disappointed that your team wins. Are you even a fan of the team or just a former fan?

Another thing (not you specifically) is that we have people cheering for Pixar to be closed. How is that a rebuild? Is that really fandom or is it just veiled hatred of the company? I don't care how bad Walt Disney Animation gets, it's kind of hearsay to claim one was ever a fan if they want the studio to close shop rather than have a successful movie they don't personally care for.

I guess one could make the tarnished legacy comment. But again the legacy wouldn't be tarnished if the movie was good... starting from the position of hoping it isn't doesn't seem like one cares about the legacy that much.
Yes you are still a fan.

Millions of fans across the world actively cheer for their team to lose games just to get a better draft pick.

I don’t care how big or complicated a corporation in, the CEO sets the tone.

If 90% of the company is moving in the wrong direction that is all on Bob Iger. That’s why he gets the big bucks.

This guy has the board in his pocket and threw the entire company under the bus during Covid.

He is a snake and this company can never hope to recover under is failed leadership.

I don’t believe for one second he plans on leaving in two years, and the only way to get rid him will be immense pressure on the board after a massive earnings miss.

So until he is gone the more that fails the better.

Sir_Cliff

This is more an issue of hoping the product itself wins up being bad, so that it can fail, because you want the company to fail. Hence my confusion, the ire isn't really aimed correctly at the product this time.
This is really what gets me: hoping the product will be bad so it can fail.

It just strikes me as so irrational unless it is motivated by a deep dislike of Disney as a company. I can't imagine anyone really believes that the response from Wall Street and institutional investors will be to push for appointing a CEO who will give free reign to creatives and loosen the purse strings at the theme parks. So, what then? The company goes into terminal decline and people can feel vindicated on online fan forums for being right about Iger?

As an example of this phenomenon as it pertains to Pixar and Elemental, I saw this piece of commentary from Matthew Belloni in my inbox today about the low box office expectations for Elemental:

"Has Pixar lost its magic touch? Perhaps the answer is that original animation is now a smaller business—one that can’t necessarily support the unique culture and $200 million budgets that made Pixar great in the first place."

Hurray, we win?

Ghost93

As an example of this phenomenon as it pertains to Pixar and Elemental, I saw this piece of commentary from Matthew Belloni in my inbox today about the low box office expectations for Elemental:

"Has Pixar lost its magic touch? Perhaps the answer is that original animation is now a smaller business—one that can’t necessarily support the unique culture and $200 million budgets that made Pixar great in the first place."

Hurray, we win?
This is why I desperately want Elemental to succeed even if I end up not liking it. If Elemental fails at the box office, I do not trust the leadership at Disney to take away the right lessons from its box office. Instead, Iger will likely be like "oh, original movies aren't profitable anymore. Time to green light Cars 4 and Toy Story 6!"

Phroobar

This is why I desperately want Elemental to succeed even if I end up not liking it. If Elemental fails at the box office, I do not trust the leadership at Disney to take away the right lessons from its box office. Instead, Iger will likely be like "oh, original movies aren't profitable anymore. Time to green light Cars 4 and Toy Story 6!"
So what happens when Inside Out 2, Cars 4 and Toy Story 6 fail?

Phroobar

The only toxic fan base around here is the dusters who incessantly defend garbage.
They are so used to the garbage that they have convinced themselves that they like the taste of it and others should too.
Come on, we are pinning our hopes on the guy that made The Good Dinosaur. That is his only real credit.

Trauma

As Disney fans we always hope for the best and we want them to succeed…, but I am sure all us “dusters” have been disappointed by the product plenty of times…I don’t get how some could be critical of something they have not seen
When have I posted anything critical about the plot, animation, story etc?

You are allowed to love the movie.

I am simply posting about the box office performance.

This movie will lose money. This is starting to become a trend.

Now we look to Indy. What happens if that bombs also ?

If people could care less about the content in theaters do you really think it will drive new D+ subscriptions? Sure maybe it helps with retention but that’s about it.

These failures compounding one on top of another all point back to one man.

Bob Iger.

Magenta Panther

When have I posted anything critical about the plot, animation, story etc?

You are allowed to love the movie.

I am simply posting about the box office performance.

This movie will lose money. This is starting to become a trend.

Now we look to Indy. What happens if that bombs also ?

If people could care less about the content in theaters do you really think it will drive new D+ subscriptions? Sure maybe it helps with retention but that’s about it.

These failures compounding one on top of another all point back to one man.

Bob Iger.
Oh, there's more than Bob Iger to blame. Certain people within the company are trying to use its (once) wholesome legacy to push certain beliefs. Happily, that has backfired. Spectacularly. I just know that somewhere, Walt (when he's not busy plussing Heaven) is smiling.

Magenta Panther

And BTW...

flop copy.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom