Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

Phroobar

Deadline afternoon box office update:

“Second place at 4,035 is Disney/Pixar’s Elemental with $11M today, a 3-day of $33M, and 4-day of $36M. Yikes, let’s hope it gets better.”
How do they know what the totals will be for the near future? Presales times guesses?

Disney is hoping that Elemental, which closed the Cannes Film Festival last month, gets to $35M. We’ll let this film breathe, hoping it can get a boost on Father’s Day Sunday before we examine the corpse.

The Disney/Pixar movie leaned 60% women, and 65% moms with girls outweighing boys, 66% to 34%. Women over 25 showed up at 32% (85% grade), women under 25 at 27% (89% grade), men over 25 at 25% (85% grade) and men under 25 at 15% (67% grade). Diversity demos were Caucasian 31%, Hispanic and Latino at 27%, Black at 17% and Asian at a very strong 20%.

LittleBuford

Well, I would never go as far as to say what Captain America was describing doesn't happen. On other forums (ahem, Reddit) some posters who post they didn't like a movie are accused of some pretty bad stuff when in fact they never did say that.

Sometimes the topic is tip-toed around here, but not like I've seen elsewhere.

But in the instance of Elemental, I think it was reaching to say that Disney was already preparing to blast anyone as a bigot. Also weird to say that people don't like movies when the director has an emotional connection.
I deleted my post before you quoted it because I decided it was only adding fuel to the fire unnecessarily. Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about online discourse more generally (which can indeed get pretty toxic and vindictive), but about the boards here.

dreday3

I deleted my post before you quoted it because I decided it was only adding fuel to the fire unnecessarily. Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about online discourse more generally (which can indeed get pretty toxic and vindictive), but about the boards here.

Oops, sorry!

mickEblu

Just saw it. I thought it was solid. Visually pleasing. Really nice world building and story was better than I thought it would be. The fire girl design keeps you captivated. Soundtrack was pretty good with some nice Indian and Far East influences. Also had some heart. Almost got a tear out of me at the end.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just saw it. I thought it was solid. Visually pleasing. Really nice world building and story was better than I thought it would be. The fire girl design keeps you captivated. Soundtrack was pretty good with some nice Indian and Far East influences. Also had some heart. Almost got a tear out of me at the end.
So would you see this as Pixar coming back to form?

erasure fan1

How silly. Did Coco have a niche audience?

Just admit you're wrong about people not liking movies that directors make that are personal.
Making films for niche audiences are fine. But what he's saying is, it isn't always the best idea to make a niche film at these 200/230mil budgets. Those big budget tent poles need to resonate with as large of an audience as possible.

dreday3

Making films for niche audiences are fine. But what he's saying is, it isn't always the best idea to make a niche film at these 200/230mil budgets. Those big budget tent poles need to resonate with as large of an audience as possible.
He said a director making a film that's personal to them doesn't work with audiences and I'm saying he's wrong in many instances.

Heck, look at Rocky! I know Sly didn't direct it, but he did write it. 😄

Sir_Cliff

But this is not supposed to be a film made for a niche audience, it just takes its inspiration from the personal experiences of the director. Whether it appeals to a wider audience or not and why is another issue, but it's not made as a film for children of Korean immigrants who grew up in New York even if that experience was the source of inspiration for the director.

Luca was brought up earlier as being meaningful for Italian Americans. Well, I am Anglo-Irish Australian and it's one of my favourite films from Disney or Pixar in a very long time and it was also the most-streamed movie in the United States the year it was released. That's not a niche movie, even if it was inspired by the filmmaker's lived experience.

mickEblu

So would you see this as Pixar coming back to form?

Yes, I think it’s a pretty good step in the right direction. Visually, the city did feel a little similar to Zootopia at times and at one point it even appeared like it might be like a Buddy detective story too but thankfully it didn’t go that route.

Off the top of my head I think overall I’d rank this somewhere around middle of the Pixar Pack. It’s definitely better than the last 4 Pixar movies and most of the sequels.

Ghost93

Just saw the movie. I wasn't feeling it at all for the first 30 minutes as I found the world-building nonsensical and I thought using elements for a metaphor of immigration just didn't work. HOWEVER, I became very invested in the romance between Ember and Wade as the movie went on. They were very cute! I also became more invested in the dynamic between Ember and her father, as well as her own journey of self-discovery. I got quite emotional by the end of the movie. The animation is also gorgeous, one of the top 5 most visually pleasing Pixar movies.

Overall I'd give it a 7.5/10. It had a weak start but improved as the movie continued. I think kids will enjoy it, but it honestly might be more appealing as a date movie tbh.

mickEblu

I have Elemental ahead of the following Pixar Films:

A Bug's Life
Monsters Inc.
Cars 2
Brave
Monsters University
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
Finding Dory
Cars 3
Luca
Turning Red
Lightyear
Soul

More or less on the same level of the following films:

The Incredibles 2
Onward

Keep in mind some of these I’ve only seen once or twice and it may have been a long time ago so I could be off on some of these. For those I’m only going off the feeling that those films left me with. I realized I’m more of a Lasseter, Brad Bird, Unkrich guy. The Docter films don’t seem to work for me as much for whatever reason. I wouldn’t be surprised if I rewatched some of the above that 2-3 (probably Monsters Inc. and maybe Bugs Life) of them would surpass Elemental. Stand by what I said on Inside Out though. I think that one was overrated and a little boring.

I’d probably have it ahead of Wall E and Up too if the first half of those films weren’t so strong. Didn’t really like the second half of either film. Especially Up.

Last edited:

tcool123

One of three movies I saw today, thanks AMC A-List! I thought the movie was solid, not the best animated film of the year nor from Pixar. However, I would place it in the top half of Pixar films.

Like others have said it takes a bit to get into it, but once you do it’s a great time. I think the world ended up being very creative and inventive on how the elements were able to coexist. The imagery is also gorgeous, and I hope that I have the opportunity to watch it in Dolby over the next week before Friday when it switches over to…I’m not sure what comes out next weekend actually. The score is phenomenal as well. However I can’t think of a Pixar movie that doesn’t have a bad score or without scenes that mesmerize in their beauty. Yes even films like Lightyear have some great pieces of score and imagery,

In terms of the characters honestly other than Clod I really enjoyed them all. In particular the chemistry and dynamic that Ember and Wade had in as phenomenal, and honestly I aspire to be half the person Wade was. Wade was so sweet, caring, and really pushed everyone to be themselves. Wade is everything and honestly he made me miss my boyfriend - we’re currently long distance and its been hard, but this character reminded me of us. Right after I called him just to tell him that I love him and how lucky I was to find someone like him.

Ember’s family’s story is very familiar and I could connect to it even though my parents immigrated from Cuba. I think a lot of people, or at least first generation kids like myself can relate to this struggle to live up to your family, your culture and knowing everything they’ve sacrificed to come to a new world. This to me is a classic story of the American dream not something niche that is just to one people group.

A lot of the side characters were extraordinarily quirky and provided a good amount of comedy for the film - except Clod, he was annoying. However the mothers were hoots, Gale was entertaining, the various other fires that Ember deals with in the store with fun to watch.

Overall, I think this was a classic love story that was made better with its interesting and compelling setting, relatable characters and story, humor, and most of heart.

I will say that the Carl and Dug short before was very emotional and was the only point I teared up in the theater.

A shame that this film will likely flop unless there’s a miracle, but when you market and market poorly what do you expect. Like others have mentioned this film would’ve been better suited later on in the summer where it wasn’t so crowded, I mean my theater has 5 notable releases today per the apps notification at least (Blackening, No Hard Feelings, Asteroid City, Elemental, Flash) alongside other summer films that have continued to perform well (Spiderman, Transformers, Mermaid, Fast X, Gaurdians).

I will end this by saying I think this film is worth a shot in theaters, go during the matinee times to save some money on it as well if you’re more on the sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom