Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

Basil of Baker Street

It goes back to what I asked in TLM thread but why are development costs so stupidly high for every movie that Disney makes.

I’m sorry but should an animated film like Turning red really cost over $150 million to make?

Can Disney not make their animated films especially like there theme park rides over such a long period to reduce costs?
Just like I wonder why it takes Disney twice as much money and 3 times as long to build a new attraction at WDW.

Phroobar

Totally agree and it seems a more detailed movie like you say doesn’t pay off for them.

While I understand Disney probably need to do the recent layoffs in the TV and movie division, to save money and remove content from Disney+ to save almost $2 billion in licensing, perhaps they should bring down the development costs for these movies in the first place
Are Disney/Pixar movies any more detailed than the competition? Spiderman sure looks a lot more artistically creative than anything from Pixar. It even has a complex plotline. The upcoming Teen Mutant Ninja Turtles movie also looks more creative. Pixar has had three movies with the same character look. Luca, Turning Red and upcoming Elio. Lightyear looked a little different but not artistically creative. Lightyear didn't have the bug eyes and big teeth CalArts look that the other three movies did. Even Super Mario Bros looked exactly what we expected the movie to look like and still have some great artistic license.

Disstevefan1

perhaps they should bring down the development costs for these movies in the first place
1686000421997.png

LittleBuford

I honestly don’t know what is going on here. If these people hate all things Disney, what are they doing here???
There is plenty of negativity to be found elsewhere in the forum, but I agree that something particularly strange and distasteful is going on here in the movie threads. It's the sheer relentlessness of the trolling that really strikes me. Post after post after post gloating about, or hoping for, the "failure" of whatever film is the topic of the thread (at the expense of any actual discussion about that film). It's truly bizarre.

TP2000

Spider verse cost $100 million, Super Mario Bros cost $100 million, Minions cost $85 million… I appreciate that Disney goes beyond the other studios to give a more detailed film but I still don’t understand why their animated films cost 2 to 3 times more than the other studios similar offerings.

Probably catering.

And comped Tesla charging on the Burbank lot.

Phroobar

Hoping, desperately, that Disney corrects its trajectory.

If you want future Disney films, you should root for them to be profitable.
We won't see anything good for the next four years. It takes time to course correct. We shouldn't root for crap because crap is what you will continue to get. They need a large course correction. What are they going to do? Not make movies?

Every other company is making some incredible stuff except Disney.

MoonRakerSCM

Just got back from a week long vacay. Saw this at LAX and was amused... If you have the same poster 50 times in a row, people will want to see it right?

KIMG6061.JPG

Communicora

Premium Member
Spider verse cost $100 million, Super Mario Bros cost $100 million, Minions cost $85 million… I appreciate that Disney goes beyond the other studios to give a more detailed film but I still don’t understand why their animated films cost 2 to 3 times more than the other studios similar offerings.
This article might help you understand where some of the money goes. Given Pixar's history, it makes sense that there is a lot of focus on building new tools and techniques. I know they sell RenderMan, perhaps they will eventually sell other tools like Presto.

doctornick

Elemental looks like a movie I’d want to see. Cautiously optimistic.

Same with me. I very much do not want it to fail - though I don't have much optimism at all - as this looks like exactly what we should be getting from Pixar and Disney in general. I actually feel like this moving doing poorly will send absolutely the wrong message to the decision makers at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom