Eisner Spotted

Nick Ray

Didn't the hostile take-over attempt occur after Eisner's "Disney Decade" and before his departure?

yes i remeber this, this was a big week at disney, Comcast was going to buy them out, and right before the ironicly Roy Disney quit... humm.... makes you wonder!

Champion

Disneyland Paris - utill reciently - almost closed
Disneyland Hong Kong - Not doing well
Made Pixar mad and Pixar wan't going to deal with him.
Just to name a few....

Iger - Made a mense with Pixar, and now Disney owns them - great decision - even though Disney should have come up with computer anamation first, but thats besides the point!

but yes over all a good business man, but was starting to make is downfall way before 9/11 you can only have a fresh look on new things for a company for so long, it was his time.

You mean amends?

Buying Pixar for that amount wasn't a good decision. They could have got it a lot cheaper. Like, half. Or less. Remember that everything Pixar has done to this point was already 100% Disney owned as far as post-theatrical release goes. So Disney has not seen ANY returns from that huge purchase yet. And again, making Jobs the largest stockholder isn't good.

DLP and DLHK aren't only about the parks themselves, which is what people forget. Its about getting Disney deep into those markets with advertising and promoting its other products.

Champion

yes i remeber this, this was a big week at disney, Comcast was going to buy them out, and right before the ironicly Roy Disney quit... humm.... makes you wonder!

It doesn't 'make you wonder'. Roy got them to make the offer, through Roy's trust. It was about unseating Eisner's power, not getting the company sold.

Remember savedisney.com? What a joke.

Champion

Name 1 just 1 BLOCKBUSTER hit w/o Pixar having anything to do with it since the Lion King??? Oh wait there is NONE!!

Lilo and Stitch.

Again, however, DISNEY ALREADY OWNED ALL THE CURRENT PIXAR MOVIES 100% BEFORE THEY PURCHASED PIXAR

So you cannot use those movies as part of the reason to justify the completely overpriced amount that Iger agreed to with Jobs.

Nick Ray

It doesn't 'make you wonder'. Roy got them to make the offer, through Roy's trust. It was about unseating Eisner's power, not getting the company sold.

Remember savedisney.com? What a joke.

Well when you start making people mad inside the company, isn't that a bad thing???? personaly I think Roy is the only one still enspired by Walt Dream.. by living on the edge of tomorrow, not caring about the money, and pleasing people.. WDW in the recent years is more about Quanity than Quality, trust me i work there, and they stress RUSH, get as many people through as possible. and it shouldn't be that way.

Nick Ray

Lilo and Stitch.

Again, however, DISNEY ALREADY OWNED ALL THE CURRENT PIXAR MOVIES 100% BEFORE THEY PURCHASED PIXAR

So you cannot use those movies as part of the reason to justify the completely overpriced amount that Iger agreed to with Jobs.

Sorry Lilo and Stitch was not a BLOCKBUSTER hit, it did good but not that good! same with Mulan, Tarzan. etc.. etc.. even Iger has said, we haven't had ANYTHING SINCE Lion King... No musicals no nothing. and yes they did own them 100% but the best Pixar movies have been Increadibles, Toy Story 1&2, and Nemo. But Disney did not own 100% at that time!

Champion

Well when you start making people mad inside the company, isn't that a bad thing???? personaly I think Roy is the only one still enspired by Walt Dream.. by living on the edge of tomorrow, not caring about the money, and pleasing people.. WDW in the recent years is more about Quanity than Quality, trust me i work there, and they stress RUSH, get as many people through as possible. and it shouldn't be that way.

So you should allow lines to back up?

There are times for both personal interaction and getting people through the turnstiles or attractions as quickly as possible. And both have to be done. And both are.

There are people mad at their bosses in every large company.

Simple question: If Roy wasn't out for the money, and only there for Walt's dream, why did he do the following:

Start a trust to make himself money.
Buy a good amount of Comcast stock with his trust.
Quit the WDC board.
Tell Comcast to make a hostile takeover bid for Disney.

He would have made billions of dollars from the deal.

Roy's dream of saving Disney was to sell it to Comcast.
Yeah, that was Walt's dream, for sure.

Nick Ray

Ok i'm not going to argue anymore, yes Eisner had he hey-day but in all reality it was time to get a fresh look on things. Some of the things he has done is making Walt roll in his icecube, and some he would be proud of.. We still have to give Iger a chance he just started about a year and a half ago.. Personaly i just think we need new movies, and i must say, a little off note here, but Disney Movies were not ment to have sequals!

Nick Ray

So you should allow lines to back up?

There are times for both personal interaction and getting people through the turnstiles or attractions as quickly as possible. And both have to be done. And both are.

OK! if you are talking about Fast Pass??? You must not work in attractions, because that thing is a B@#$% let me just say, i have worked in attractions, and dummest idea anyone has come up with... and i mean anyone, yes its great that people who have them can go right to the front. In reality, before fast pass was there the lines moved perfectly! and at TT the fast pass line is usually just as long as the stand-by line just a little FYI

Champion

Sorry Lilo and Stitch was not a BLOCKBUSTER hit, it did good but not that good! same with Mulan, Tarzan. etc.. etc.. even Iger has said, we haven't had ANYTHING SINCE Lion King... No musicals no nothing. and yes they did own them 100% but the best Pixar movies have been Increadibles, Toy Story 1&2, and Nemo. But Disney did not own 100% at that time!

L&S made $150m in the box office. $100m is classified as a blockbuster. Of course, you probably thought it was just a term people throw out there.

And once again, THEY OWNED THOSE MOVIES 100% BEFORE THEY PURCHASED PIXAR

I don't know why you don't understand that. The only thing Pixar got was a portion of the box office. Disney got EVERYTHING else. And its not like Disney magically got that money back that Pixar received.

Disney has NOT had a single cent of income from purchasing Pixar yet. They will when Ratatouille comes out. And the most money Disney would see as an increase from not having the deal would be less than $100m.
($350m - 50% Pixar take before the buyout = $175m - ~$90m production costs = $85m because they don't have to split the money)

The $350m is too high, that would make it the highest grossing Pixar movie to date, which it won't be. The $90m is around the average cost of production on the movies they've done so far.

Now ... should they have purchased Pixar? Maybe. If Jobs really wasn't going to just sign a continuation of their current deal with Disney, they probably should have purchased it. However, they could have paid somewhere around 40% of the price they paid and still had the deal done. Heck, call it $4b and it would have been a much better deal. But $7.4b? Too much.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
OK! if you are talking about Fast Pass??? You must not work in attractions, because that thing is a B@#$% let me just say, i have worked in attractions, and dummest idea anyone has come up with... and i mean anyone, yes its great that people who have them can go right to the front. In reality, before fast pass was there the lines moved perfectly! and at TT the fast pass line is usually just as long as the stand-by line just a little FYI

Thank you. :wave:

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Fast Pass disappeared completely.

Champion

No, I'm saying that manning a turnstile isn't exactly the best time to hope to not rush people. If you work somewhere less hectic (a shop, food service, etc) you can have a more personal interaction sometimes. But being at a turnstile isn't exactly the best time to try and be personal with every single guest in the line.

As far as Fastpass goes. Yes, sometimes it makes the standby line stand still. We know. However, just remember that those people with the fastpass would normally just be standing in the line, so in reality there is no loss of time.

Champion

And why would you say that? The Jobs deal is going to work out much better than you know... :animwink:

Because Jobs is a moron. He's good at marketing, and nothing more. Look at the ipod. Its the worst mp3 player available anywhere. Next to no features, completely stupid DRM, and not to mention the horrible customer service if/when you have a problem.

And we won't even talk about his little insider trading problem.

I have one other reason that I can't say ... eventually I'll be able to. Summer.

Scar Junior

:rolleyes:

Michael Eisner made Disney to what Disney is today...

So think first and nag later... :lookaroun

Agreed.

He may not have been the best at maintaining relationships, but he is one of the main reasons the company survived the sad state they were in during 1980s. They more than survived, they grew at an unprecedented rate.

jedimaster1227

Because Jobs is a moron. He's good at marketing, and nothing more. Look at the ipod. Its the worst mp3 player available anywhere. Next to no features, completely stupid DRM, and not to mention the horrible customer service if/when you have a problem.

I have one other reason that I can't say ... eventually I'll be able to. Summer.

Where are these claims coming from? Jobs' talent in marketing is widely known, but the validity of the iPod claims are completely unsupported. No need being coy about the Jobs deal. Some of us already know to what you are referring... :rolleyes:

Keyblader Ax

What featurs would you like to see on the ipod that i doesn't have? It has everything i'd want in a music player.

Yes, DRM sucks, but that's not the ipod, that's the RIAA, all music downloading services have DRM, that's just the way it is for now. And jobs is anti-DRM by the way.

Customer service always sucks, pretty much for any product anyone can think of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom