Eisner Spotted

Scar Junior

It was a pretty sad moment seeing him give up his "last" Disney-themed piece of clothing (his tie) to Iger... The show was cancelled for its zero ratings...

It was? I just saw it 1-2 weeks ago. He was talking to Elton John about his birthday celebration.

but yes over all a good business man, but was starting to make is downfall way before 9/11 you can only have a fresh look on new things for a company for so long, it was his time.

Interesting to note, he studied literature at a Lib Arts college. He was brought into the company as a creative half that was mirror by Frank Wells, the business half.

Also, your memory must be spotty. 1999 and 2000 were some of the best years for the Disney company. Take a look at what happened with the stocks and Eisner's bonus (which is performance based).

BTW... Tarzan grossed $448 million.

Do yourself a favor... read more about the company (especially the state it was in when Eisner showed up). Your opinion of Fast Pass won't cut it if you want to have a serious conversation.

He's no saint, but he deserves more respect than eclectic examples of things that you don't like about the company.

Champion

Where are these claims coming from? Jobs' talent in marketing is widely known, but the validity of the iPod claims are completely unsupported. No need being coy about the Jobs deal. Some of us already know to what you are referring... :rolleyes:

Unsupported? Are you serious? The only thing the ipod has is looks. Sound quality is AWFUL if you have ever used anything else.

Trust me, you have NO IDEA what I'm referring to.

Bud Fox

Because Jobs is a moron. He's good at marketing, and nothing more. Look at the ipod. Its the worst mp3 player available anywhere. Next to no features, completely stupid DRM, and not to mention the horrible customer service if/when you have a problem.

And we won't even talk about his little insider trading problem.

I have one other reason that I can't say ... eventually I'll be able to. Summer.

jobs is a moron and Apple stock is up after their earnings almost doubled today. Ipod is one of the most popular mp3 out there. Jobs has more money than god. Moron he isnt thats for sure

Champion

What featurs would you like to see on the ipod that i doesn't have? It has everything i'd want in a music player.

Radio for one? Without a stupid remote.

Yes, DRM sucks, but that's not the ipod, that's the RIAA, all music downloading services have DRM, that's just the way it is for now. And jobs is anti-DRM by the way.

And how many other players basically require you to use itunes, or any other specific application. Zero.

Customer service always sucks, pretty much for any product anyone can think of.

I have a ton of companies that I buy regularly that offer terrific customer service. For instance, I run using my Samsung Sansa mp3 player. I recently had a battery issue, and it wasn't holding a charge. The mp3 player was about 1.5 years old, the warranty is one year. They replaced the battery for only the cost of shipping to them, basically no questions asked. If it had been an ipod, I'd be spending $80 or whatever stupid amount they charge.

Champion

jobs is a moron and Apple stock is up after their earnings almost doubled today. Ipod is one of the most popular mp3 out there. Jobs has more money than god. Moron he isnt thats for sure

Yes, its popular, that doesn't make it good. Honestly, if you think the ipod is the 'best' mp3 player, you need to take a few minutes and do some research.

The only reason Apple's earnings went up is because the cost of flash memory is WAY down. Every other computer/mp3 maker is going to have the same results.

He's good at marketing. Give me one thing he has EVER done first or better than anyone else. There aren't any. He's just better at getting the sheep to graze on his grass. Jobs career is basically two things: the Macintosh computer and the ipod. And he sold both through mass marketing, not by having a superior product.

Glen Quagmire

the Macintosh computer and the ipod. And he sold both through mass marketing, not by having a superior product.
I have used Mac computers for years for video editing simply because they perform better than any PC based system over a large block of time. I'm no computer expert but i do know about making deadlines and keaping customers happy, and with a Mac its just so much easier

Champion

I have used Mac computers for years for video editing simply because they perform better than any PC based system over a large block of time. I'm no computer expert but i do know about making deadlines and keaping customers happy, and with a Mac its just so much easier

Well... Apple computers now are basically PCs. MacOS is a version of Unix, and they run Intel processors and can boot Windows.

So I guess Microsoft had it right.

jmvd20

Well... Apple computers now are basically PCs. MacOS is a version of Unix, and they run Intel processors and can boot Windows.

I know were off on a tangent here but I wouldn't say Microsoft had it right in terms of the product. They just made better deals with manufacturers and basically slammed the door on their competition.

I'm not sure about the newest versions of the OS but Windows sucked compared to MAC's a few years ago. I still think the main reason MS was so successful is that all of the best games, software etc... was PC compatible. Granted success is success but I still think Windows was/is the inferior product. (Vista excluded)

tirian

I didn't read everyone's posts because frankly, I find these discussions to be supercilious. Everyone knows that Eisner saved the company in the 80s and everyone agrees that he nearly destroyed it in the mid 90s through the turn of the century.

There's a clear business reason for this, and it's the same reason that business classes teach that for optimum results, corporate management should change about every seven years.

Eisner became too comfortable with a formula, and the formula got stale fast. Furthermore, after Frank Wells decided that Eisner would be the corporate face of the new Disney, Eisner erroneously believed that he was responsible for the company's greatness, as opposed to the creative people he hired. Eisner saved Disney through savvy business decisions, but he also wanted to shut down the animation division. When the Little Mermaid was successful, Eisner took credit for it (he had nothing to do with the film) and made sure that every Disney film after it was a musical that involved sappy social messages.

In my opinion, Eisner also made the company too big; it's bloated now, and can't operate as efficiently as it should. Disney was successful in the 40s-60s, and then the 80s, because it lacked the corporate bureaucracy that plagued every other Hollywood studio. Did Disney really need to own book publishers, newspapers, sports teams, and a broadcast network to be successful? No. Eisner wanted to be the one-man dream answer to everything; remember Go, his failed attempt to put Google out of business?

Even his success stories are marred by his ego. Touchstone was a great idea, but Disney put out a lot of crap as Touchstone, Hollywood, and Miramax supported quantity over quality. He single-handedly destroyed working relationships with George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and other creative geniuses who would have significantly contributed to Disney's bottom-line profitability. He killed "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" through over-exposure. He grossly overpaid for Fox Family, and allowed the premium Disney Channel to become a sappy pre-teen station that is successful, but eroded the Company's reputation for high-quality broadcasting. (The teenage angst should have moved to ABC Family, and the DC should have remained a commercial-free, tiered cable network to preserve the Disney brand identity.)

When Eisner's stale, unimaginative plans stagnated in the late 90s, he blamed the creative people whom he had been restraining. Instead of letting them explore new possibilities, he cut corners and budgets. We got DCA and Disney Studios Paris.

Here's irony for you: Disney was floundering when Eisner took over, and many critics accused them of playing "What Would Walt Do?" and being too safe for an entertainment company. Eisner came in as a risk-taker and made the company successful again. Then he became more concerned with his ego as a Hollywood tycoon and began greedily purchasing as much as he could. All the businesses forced him to become safe because risky ventures would affect the Company too much; and Disney became stagnant again, just like in the early 80s.

It will be interesting to see what Iger does other than find new ways of delivering content. I believe that he has taken some very good first steps, but somebody needs to remind the Disney executives that the entertainment industry relies on risky, creative ventures. The successful PotC and Narnia films are theoretically being produced independently; the corporate-culture animated films are flops. If Disney execs are not comfortable with risks, they need to work for a snack foods company.

~end pamphlet ;) ~

tirian

OFF-TOPIC: Apple spends too much time patting themselves on the back for their award winning (!) iLife software, and not enough time developing partnerships with other players in the computer field. With the iMac and iPod, Apple seemed like it might stand a good chance of winning a large market share of the industry. The iPod was extremely successful; but the stylish iMacs, the "Switch" campaign, and the current PC/Mac campaigns aren't enough to make computer users switch to an OS that doesn't support most computer software. The AppleTV is a nice concept, but the final product is a joke compared to other options; the XBox 360 is a more powerful media hub than the shiny silver box that isn't good for anything more than streaming iTunes.

Jobs runs the risk of making the same mistake that Eisner did: imagining oneself to be so self-sufficient that one destroys relationships with others. (Hey, I tried to tie this back to the thread's topic!)

p.s. I'm a Mac guy. I say this 'cause I care. :cool:

tirian

I have a ton of companies that I buy regularly that offer terrific customer service. For instance, I run using my Samsung Sansa mp3 player.

Sandisk makes the Sansas, not Samsung. :p

Also, Apple is trying to get rid of DRM. The only reason they have such a complicated one is that it was the only way to get some of the music studios to put songs in the iTunes store; this is also why Apple has more music available than anyone else.

I agree, however, that Jobs has become a self-righteous jerk, and frequently accepts the praises for things his employees at Apple have created.

Walt was often accused of doing this, but he regularly praised his employees to the media. His insisting to brand everything with his name was standard business practice at the time, and a genius identity move: it's easier to remember "Disney" than "Disney, Roy Disney, Iwerks, Thomas, Johnston, Davis, Blair, etc."

Nick Ray

:lol:
L&S made $150m in the box office. $100m is classified as a blockbuster. Of course, you probably thought it was just a term people throw out there.

And once again, THEY OWNED THOSE MOVIES 100% BEFORE THEY PURCHASED PIXAR

I don't know why you don't understand that. The only thing Pixar got was a portion of the box office. Disney got EVERYTHING else. And its not like Disney magically got that money back that Pixar received.

Disney has NOT had a single cent of income from purchasing Pixar yet. They will when Ratatouille comes out. And the most money Disney would see as an increase from not having the deal would be less than $100m.
($350m - 50% Pixar take before the buyout = $175m - ~$90m production costs = $85m because they don't have to split the money)

The $350m is too high, that would make it the highest grossing Pixar movie to date, which it won't be. The $90m is around the average cost of production on the movies they've done so far.

Now ... should they have purchased Pixar? Maybe. If Jobs really wasn't going to just sign a continuation of their current deal with Disney, they probably should have purchased it. However, they could have paid somewhere around 40% of the price they paid and still had the deal done. Heck, call it $4b and it would have been a much better deal. But $7.4b? Too much.

I'm about 99.9% sure that we are talking about 2 different things when it comes to Pixar. You are talking about scripts, and rights to movies, I'm talking about movie production. Pixar made Millions if not Billions from those movies, and did not have to share it with Disney, because Disney made just as much.. Really what I'm saying is if it wasn't for Pixar those movie's would not have done half as good without Pixar intellegence.

oh and another thing, Pixar also, untill Disney bought out, had the rights to the characters in the park, they had have a Pixar approved background, and had to have a Pixar Approved location. I know this for a FACT, I was friends with Woody in the DH at MK, and this came up and a DAILY basis with Woody and Jessie being outside vs. inside.. SO yes Pixar had a little bit more than what you think of with the movies.

tirian

I only have two problems with Pixar:

1) They don't know when to end their stories. Seriously, could Nemo and Cars have been any longer?

2) Many of their stories are too modern, and won't stand the Classics test of time.

Nick Ray

I only have two problems with Pixar:

1) They don't know when to end their stories. Seriously, could Nemo and Cars have been any longer?

2) Many of their stories are too modern, and won't stand the Classics test of time.

Agreed!

But, what i'm really talking about is if this company didn't exist, or DreamWorks didn't exist, where would animation be today? Probably just coming up with this stuff! and we have had it for 22 years. since Pixar first had their first short with the little lamp! lol

disneygoof1

No, 9/11 declined the company. I want you to name something thats successful that wasn't started under Eisner's watch.

Iger has done nothing, just like he did at ABC.

First of all, I would like to say that Micheal Eisner is very money hungry, when I was there on college program, I was only paid 6 dollars an hour!! But, Micheal Eisner gave himself a 6 million dollar raise that year.[2003] And as far as Iger doing nothing, coming from three cm's that I know, Iger has reopened traditional animation, and a new movie is due out in a couple of years with traditional animation! Ok I'm off my soapbox.

Champion

:lol:

I'm about 99.9% sure that we are talking about 2 different things when it comes to Pixar. You are talking about scripts, and rights to movies, I'm talking about movie production. Pixar made Millions if not Billions from those movies, and did not have to share it with Disney, because Disney made just as much.. Really what I'm saying is if it wasn't for Pixar those movie's would not have done half as good without Pixar intellegence.

oh and another thing, Pixar also, untill Disney bought out, had the rights to the characters in the park, they had have a Pixar approved background, and had to have a Pixar Approved location. I know this for a FACT, I was friends with Woody in the DH at MK, and this came up and a DAILY basis with Woody and Jessie being outside vs. inside.. SO yes Pixar had a little bit more than what you think of with the movies.

Sorry, but you're still wrong. You need to do some research before you try to post the same thing again.

Do you even know why Iger purchased Pixar? It was because Jobs didn't want to do the same deal with the next set of movies that had been done the first time. Jobs wanted a portion of the DVD sales and the merchandising, which under the original deal Pixar got NONE of. They only received a percentage of the box office, and that was it. This is fact. So Jobs would not agree to the same terms again, and this caused Iger to buy the company out.

I don't have any idea on what you're talking about with "movie production". That only costs money, it doesn't make it. The highest grossing Pixar film was Finding Nemo, with $339m. Pixar split that money with Disney.
And no, Disney didn't make "just as much". Disney made TONS more from merchandising and DVD sales. Disney knows thats where the real money is, which is why they didn't want to split that money with Pixar.

Champion

First of all, I would like to say that Micheal Eisner is very money hungry, when I was there on college program, I was only paid 6 dollars an hour!! But, Micheal Eisner gave himself a 6 million dollar raise that year.[2003] And as far as Iger doing nothing, coming from three cm's that I know, Iger has reopened traditional animation, and a new movie is due out in a couple of years with traditional animation! Ok I'm off my soapbox.

Because the company president and CEO makes the decisions on all salaries. Oh.

And the "raise" you are talking about isn't a raise. It was a stock bonus. That money wasn't ever actually in the company, his contract was stock heavy. So this allows the company to have to pay him a lot less, while he still makes a lot of money if the company is doing well. This is a very common practice in corporate America.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom