EE bird/steam is back!

EpcotServo

LOL To each his own. Looks freakin' hokey to me.

Having been on a thousand times-

It varies from Ride to Ride.
:lol:

It's not just you, Joe Rhode himself rode the ride 14 times one day before it opened. First seven times he ordered the Vulture be turned off, then the last seven times with it on. So he did think about, and came out Pro-Bird, and I generally agree.
:lol: :D

EPCOT Explorer

*FacePalm*

"Properly Explored Studios"?
:rolleyes: :lol:

Their are two droid vultures RIGHT there above the queue when you're passing G2-9T about to take the left turn to get to Load.

:brick: Duh.

I thought you were talking ride film.:lookaroun:lol:

So yes...Explored Studios!:fork::lookaroun:lol:

nor'easter

Having been on a thousand times-

It varies from Ride to Ride.

It's not just you, Joe Rhode himself rode the ride 14 times one day before it opened. First seven times he ordered the Vulture be turned off, then the last seven times with it on. So he did think about, and came out Pro-Bird, and I generally agree.
:lol: :D

I agree with Yeti...kill the skewered bird.

Whether Rhode is pro-bird or not, I bet he's more pro-Yeti (the snowman, not the poster). Don't have to ride 14 times to realize the attraction has lost much of its impact because of the neutered Yeti.

EpcotServo

I

Whether Rhode is pro-bird or not, I bet he's more pro-Yeti (the snowman, not the poster). Don't have to ride 14 times to realize the attraction has lost much of its impact because of the neutered Yeti.

Of course. Thankfully they DID design a satisfactory alternate ending, and didn't have to rely on it daily for Three Years.

(Seriously, I'm just as mad about the Yeti, but the ride IS almost Five Years old at this point, you people need to stop acting like it only worked for a few days. :lol: )

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Of course. Thankfully they DID design a satisfactory alternate ending, and didn't have to rely on it daily for Three Years.

(Seriously, I'm just as mad about the Yeti, but the ride IS almost Five Years old at this point, you people need to stop acting like it only worked for a few days. :lol: )

How long did it work 100% for?

nor'easter

Sorry, I think you are giving Disney an easy pass. It is NOT a satisfactory alternate ending, and I don't care how long it worked....it is inexcusable that such a major componet of the attraction has not been fixed.

janoimagine

Sorry, I think you are giving Disney an easy pass. It is NOT a satisfactory alternate ending, and I don't care how long it worked....it is inexcusable that such a major componet of the attraction has not been fixed.

I agree completely. It's just bad show, and not what people expect from Disney, Six Flags, yes, Disney, no, thats why people pay a premium to go to Disney, because the bar is set far higher. Of course, they set the bar themselves years ago, and lately have been missing it.

EpcotServo

How long did it work 100% for?

Three Years.

I rode Everest on Day 2 of letting people ride at all (Even Cast Members) and that was January 16th, 2006. There were one or two month periods were he was down, but never for more than a few weeks or a month. The last time he was able to perform A-Show was April 22, 2008. So Three Years.

I'm not giving Disney an "easy pass". Trust me, I would practically KILL A MAN for Everest. I love every bit of it. It's my favorite WDW attraction. Every day going by in this Yeti-less year is killing me, I'm dying to see A show again. But I know what I know. And that's that even Disney the cheapskates, KNOWING HOW THEY OPERATE, wouldn't let it go B-Show for this long if all it took was a few knocks with a hammer. The problem was serious, and knowing the story behind all the parts liberates me with what I'm sure the wait came down too...

A: It had to be done surgically. This is true because even the most simple operation in the mountain needs to be done carefully because everything is opearting in the same space, inches apart at times.

And B: Parts! This is where half the blame is put. I don't know the sitution now, but in Year One it came down to when they started running out of spare parts.

See, unlike most other Disney Rides, Everest has no counterpart. Everything in the ride is UNIQUE. For instance, the Projector for Shadow of the Yeti, was designed SPECFICALLY for Everest. It has no cousin. It has to order parts from the French company that built it. Not a problem if they gave Operations & WDI a big enough budget for upkeep. Which they don't.

THIS is where you place the blame. The Attractions budget is small, and yearly. First thing this extra cash goes too is stuff the guests need, pathway fixes, gates, redesigns to make things more accesible or wear down slower. As a "show guy" I hate when they do that stuff, because it's taking up money for the Effects and Ride stuff. And if they don't have the money, they simply can't afford to order parts.

(I believe this is the case for Waterfall B, like I said, it gave it's part and life in a nobel attempt to keep Waterfall A running, and it has. Brave Brave Waterfall B. Someday the water will return. :cry:)

Now with the Yeti, WDI and Engineering are ponying up the cash for this one, since this is a big fix.

But yeah, that's the simple facts folks. It's not that can't fix it. It's that they couldn't fix it sooner, because companies are bloated and sluggish to spend money.

Now as for the "sastifactory ending", I point your attention first to the hilariously awful "Mummy B-Show.", which turns an otherwise great attraction too "Revenge of the Herecomesaspookyfaceguy".

Now, as I've said, I've been riding since essentially day 1. I lost ride count at around 500, and that was just year one. I've seen the A show tons from pretty much every seat, and the B-Show. I've ridden through with the lights on, and no yeti, and seen that room in the middle of the day, and the brightest your eyes can get at night.

Clearly, A show is better. But, And I stand by this., B show is much scarier. Now that's just opinion, but here's where I stand my ground on.

Everest's show. Now a place like this have misconstrued show as effects and details. That's not true. Those are just odds and ends. The SHOW is something less quantifiable, like the story. Basically good attractions have beats, like music. "listen" to Haunted Mansion, the laughter and screams. It's "hitting" the right beats with everyone riding through. They GET it. Take Toy Story Midway Mania, the kinetic energy from the music, the movement, and the environment created from the people playing and the trams moving. Tower of Terror, when even people who've been on a thousand times get that pins and needles feeling as Rod Serling slowly echos out that line..."in the Tower of Terror". Weather you know what's coming or not, you get that feeling.

Even at it's WORST, the show works. When you're walking towards Serka Zong, looking at the Mountain, on that bustling street, I challenge you to NOT feel like something exciting is going to happen. Even if a Cast Member walked up too me and said "Don't get excited, B show is on.", it'd be a no dice for me. You couldn't stop me beelining towards that Mountain, BECAUSE of the story.

Stand, as I have, in Bob's office, and watch guests rocket through, how excited they are to challenge the Mountain. Here, the SHOW works. It's job is done.

Move on to the Yeti Museum and listen to people zooming by, and listen to Yeti conversastions spark. As I heard a Father to a Daughter here just last time I was there "We're Yeti fodder for sure."

The show works yet again.

When you're sitting in that train (steam or not) don't tell me it feels exciting when you hear that whistle blow, and off you go up into the Himalayas. The SHOW works here.

Tell me that you don't feel like you're a million miles from saftey when you're perched up on that isolated ribbon of twisting steel coming to a dead end before your eyes.

Even without the effects of Mist and the Vulture, the SHOW works. Effects like these are simply details...Enviroment building tools.

Now I, as someone who get's cranky over the lack of that stuff working, can only appreciate the VALUE of those effects AFTER you admit that in the end, they aren't important. They aren't what's really going on inside your soul when you get the feelings and emotions that are why the rides are built for in the first place.

Now in the Show of Expedition Everest: Legend of the Forbidden Mountain, the big finale of the story comes when you see the Yeti. As the official storyline says, you come face to face with the yeti in a brief, but terrifying encounter. Even in A show, you don't know for sure what you've seen or not. All you know is that you saw something terrifying, something mysterious. You may have seen the Legend of the Forbidden Mountain.

B show meets all of the above. It may not be as powerful, but it's certainly more terrifying because you see even less. Opinions on that aside, the real key is when you stand there at the exit, like I have, and see if the Show worked in the end.

Are people happy? Are they shaken? Do they feel like getting right back in line? And do they KNOW that there may be more too this Yeti business than just fluff?

Of course. Even on a off day, just stand there and try not to get caught up in the excitement.

Now I know what you people say, "they don't know what they missed." and yes, as a fellow grumpy person I agree, but to have these opinions wisely is to know what they Didn't Miss, what they actually GOT by riding the attraction.

And even without the little stuff, they GOT the SHOW. They GOT the story. The SHOW WORKS.

Now in the grand life scheme of this attraction, yes, this won't be it's best year of operation. Look at rides like Mission Space, 20K, Horizons, Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn. All of them have had better years than others. But, people are reporting seeing A show again, so I'm sure the Yeti will be working again, and will be enjoyed. Because this show is going to be around, for a long, long, long time.
:D

EpcotServo

This all sounds fascinating, but unfortunately, none of it is conveyed in the "story" of the attraction. So it really boils down to poor story-telling, from a company that we've come to expect to be the best at it.

Actually, there's a whole section of the Yeti Museum that deals with the real Animals of the Himalayas, and all creatures that can survive above 20,000 feet as a point of reference that if they can survive, maybe a creature like the Yeti can. All of this is right there smack dab in the queue, including a condensed easy to swallow description of the Vulture.

So it really it all boils down to you not knowing what you're talking about.

KaliSplash

Methinks that those who consider the bird on a stick the worst effect they've every seen have either never seen, or have forgotten that they saw, the effects in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea BEFORE you get into the cave. ALL the creatures had strings anchoring them in the water!

RSoxNo1

Actually, there's a whole section of the Yeti Museum that deals with the real Animals of the Himalayas, and all creatures that can survive above 20,000 feet as a point of reference that if they can survive, maybe a creature like the Yeti can. All of this is right there smack dab in the queue, including a condensed easy to swallow description of the Vulture.

So it really it all boils down to you not knowing what you're talking about.

Wasn't that paying homage to the Asian Safari that was conceived? I think the plan was to be in a skytram of sorts and we'd see Snow Leopards, Musk Ox and other animals, and also have an encounter with the Yeti.

EpcotServo

Once again, though, bad storytelling if most people don't get that message. Arguably, most even most of the people participating in this thread didn't know about it until you explained it to us.... and we're all hardcore Disney fans.

The Vulture isn't the Story they are telling. It's a detail. A Detail perfectly explained in WRITING in the queue as to what it is and why it's there. How is it bad storytelling if It's not really part of the story, just supporting details, and why blame them because you didn't take the time to pay attention in the queue?

"Hardcore Disney Fans" can't blame anybody if they "don't get it" if the reason it's there is right there told in black and white. The only reason you "wouldn't get it" is if you "Didn't pay attention."

And it's not even that important in the grand scheme of the story, like I said, just Disney Detail. But it IS important to pay attention if what you're saying isn't there, is in fact, there.

And like I said, I have mixed feelings about the Vulture too...What I was saying is that it's a statement in quality about the attraction when the one thing I don't really care for is none the less more impressive than it appears as well as having a degree of intelligence and reason behind it.

Wow, no need to get nasty about it. Here's a tip: Occasionally people are going to disagree with you in life. That doesn't make them bad or wrong. You're taking this way too personally, Dude.

Forgive me, but I'd say your standards are a tad low, and it probably doesn't take much to impress you if you think the bird is "freakin' awesome". :lol:

Oh what, you're surprised you get a hostile reaction after stating that perhaps someone's standards are low? Even as a joke, that has the natural inclination of ticking people off.

Wasn't that paying homage to the Asian Safari that was conceived? I think the plan was to be in a skytram of sorts and we'd see Snow Leopards, Musk Ox and other animals, and also have an encounter with the Yeti.

Nope. (Not the Safari part, the why it's there part. :lol:)

If you look above the displays you'll see they describe the purpose of each section.

The first section is about local culture, the next is about the Yeti as local protector, the one after that is the Yeti is discovered by the west, followed by the existing known creatures of the region and how they survive there, ending in existing evidence for the Yeti.

:sohappy:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Methinks that those who consider the bird on a stick the worst effect they've every seen have either never seen, or have forgotten that they saw, the effects in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea BEFORE you get into the cave. ALL the creatures had strings anchoring them in the water!

There's a difference, 20,000 leagues was using late 1960's technology, I expect A LOT more from this decade

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom