Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

That sounds really neat. DLP is one of the places I most want to go (every time I mention going to France and mention DLP I get dirty looks, though, haha)
I visited Europe a few years back, primarily to visit family friends in Nuremberg and Rome, but I was able to talk my family into doing a few extra days in Paris primarily to spend a day at Disneyland with the others to see Paris since we would be there. Throughout Germany and Italy when asked what we were seeing and where we were going, we always got the dirty looks and the "Why?" when we mentioned Paris, until we mentioned going to Disneyland which universally received a nod of approval.

I think that Paris' is the best overall version of the attraction. It has the best queue, best front facade (fortress), skull rock and pirate ship near it, and the best order of events (IMO).
Don't forget Peter Pan's Flight right next door in Fantasyland that, along with what you mentions, creates a sort of pirate sub-land that crosses over Adventureland and Fantasyland. Everything is given such a realistic portrayal that it all works.

MerlinTheGoat

Thank you for the kind words and welcome to the boards. We appreciate your insights and comparisons and I hope you get to experience the DL POTC attraction soon, as it is the original. I have not been on the WDw version in years, and the Paris version probably 10. My childhood memories are tied up at DL so my heart is there no matter what they do to it.

It's true that DLP has a more logical story sequence than all of them, but you do sacrifice something by messing with that. DL has a certain sense of expectation and build when you are going along looking at virtually static displays and dead pirates for about half the ride, then it reveals the awesome ship battle and the rest gets better. At DLP, you "splashdown" into the conflict so you are caught up in the aftermath of falls and maybe that scene is a bit less dramatic. Just a thought. I'm not sure that's a 100% improvement. Skeletons at the end are more logical too, but once you've seen the big stuff are they are less impressive then being part of the setup?. Not sure there either. Don't get me wrong, I love DLP version too, and Tony set out to make it the best of them all, but I think the rearranging of the scenes does have some effect on their relative value. The Restaurant is great as well.

What you say?

BTW. I think the WDW one should add a "Blue Lagoon" dining experience. My only big beef with the WDW version (and it's been forever since I've been on it) is that the unload area is right on the heels of the treasure scene. I think you need to return from that "world" with a transition of sorts as at DL, before a flashing signs tells you to get out. It's as if the curtain has barely come down and the theater is hastily turning the lights on. These small things are pretty powerful in the sequencing of a show. I think the DL version unwitting gives you lots of time to get your head into the world of Piracy and that slow build has a value.
Thanks for the warm welcome! It's great to be able to talk with an actual seasoned imagineer. I hope someday to make it to Disneyland. I live in Florida now. I was actually planning on going this year (possibly while waiting for our new home to close being a short sale), but the sudden dramatic inflation of gas prices ended up destroying all the hope i had for the moment. I'll need to keep an eye on the future. First opportunity that presents itself and i'll be gone in an instant. At least Cars Land will be done if i go in the future. And maybe they'll even redo the Peoplemover in Tomorrowland (skeptically optimistic) or something. But i do hope to experience Pirates DL before making a final opinion on it.

I absolutely agree with needing the Blue Lagoon. Apart from what i recall actually being quite a good restaurant at Paris at least, it has incredible atmosphere. Being that the ride is built RIGHT next to it without any sort of barrier, it works to the advantage of both the restaurant and the ride itself to add a very awesome feel. The Mexico pavilion at Epcot has a very similar feel (though the ride and restaurant are both not nearly as good), at least in looks.

I just can't think of any place to put the Blue Lagoon restaurant in WDW in Pirates' current incarnation there. The ride was built without that scene, so the effect would not work without restructuring the ride completely. You skip right to the cave scene in the beginning. Mind you, i think that redoing the ride completely could be the best thing to happen in that land. I'd totally be rooting for whoever decides it's high time to bring our Pirates up to par with the other parks. I'll be stunned out of my mind if they ever do though, i seriously doubt they would do such a thing.:ROFLOL:

As for the Paris scene order, i'm looking back with the perspective of a child of about 8-9 (went in the mid-90's to DLP twice), and now as an adult who can analyze the details better and express how i felt at the time. I still feel the Paris order is the best. When i rode it, i really liked the calm Blue Bayou scene at the beginning, followed by the slow incline up the lift hill (great buildup). Adored the extended and enhanced prison scene. You can see and hear little hints of a great battle happening outside (a pirate swinging along a rope, and the silhouetted shadows of some people fighting above you). Again, great build up. Then you finally drop down and BANG! You're in the middle of a battle. That was mind blowing to me, and great execution. I enjoyed the different scenery in the scenes to follow, i felt there was more attention in making the scenes feel more tropical (vines growing, palm trees scattered around, not just brick walls of buildings, it really looks like i'd imagine the caribbean to look). As far as i can recall, most scenes were fairly similar to the other versions of the ride during the bride sale and such (liked the new pirate and civilian swordfighting). In the end of it all, the chaos breaks with the final descent into the caves and you see the aftermath and ultimate fate of the pirates years later. The pirates have long since died and we see their remains, the lives they chose to take and the result of their choices. It's eerie and slowly calms you down after the previous chaos, letting you adjust after going through the chaos. But i also had an unsettling feeling, disturbed knowing i was just looking at these pirates alive and well seconds earlier. I felt satisfied at unloading and felt it was brilliantly paced. The attention to detail and just the accumulation of small changes made it feel amazing as well. Drops felt more exciting as well.

One thing that helps the Paris ending as well- you unload in the same place you load. The loading area is well themed, you still feel like you're inside that pirate world until you're back outside (and even the outside is amazingly designed to match the ride's environment of course). So i feel the "coming back to reality" is extremely well done and gradual. WDW unloads you in a completely different area from the loading, it's very generic looking. From what i've seen, Disneyland's also loads and unloads in the same place, so both Paris and CA are similar in that respect.

I do have one question for anyone that can answer though-
does anyone actually know how long/tall the drops are in each version of the ride? And possibly the angle. I will always swear, WDW's feels very short and puny (looks very short when i look back carefully). Paris' two drops definitely felt steeper, faster, and longer. I don't know if it's just me, but that's how i felt.

HBG2

I do have one question for anyone that can answer though-
does anyone actually know how long/tall the drops are in each version of the ride? And possibly the angle. I will always swear, WDW's feels very short and puny (looks very short when i look back carefully). Paris' two drops definitely felt steeper, faster, and longer. I don't know if it's just me, but that's how i felt.
At Anaheim, they're both at 21-degree angles. The first drop is 52 feet and the second is 37 feet.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
As the POTC Movie series becomes more and more fanciful, I'm wondering if they will end up incorporating Mermaids and Zombies, etc into the shows over time. You can never have enough Mermaids...

kcnole

Orlando's Snow White ride is rather lackluster. It's sort of "backwards" in terms of story progression and makes little sense (it used to make even less sense before they redid it completely in the early 90's to be less scary). It has some lovely and well drawn art on the wooden cutouts, but it's very outdated. Our mine scene sucks too, just painted walls. We also don't have that extra scene with the Queen in her normal non-hag form spying on the Dwarf Cottage. I'm looking forward to our new Dwarf Mine ride in Fantasyland Expansion! Unless they manage to REALLY screw it up and not have any scenes or animated models from the movie, i'll be okay with our Snow White going. Shame they can't do something cool with the old space though, like a Sleepy Beauty ride (just a meet n greet).

While true, it won't be any more. Florida no longer will have the Snow White ride since it's being replaced with the new minetrain roller coaster ride.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Trying to stir things up or do you genuinely feel that those would be pluses?

Stir things up. Although....if you built a new Pirate ride in Shanghai, then rethinking it entirely from the film POV could be great idea. Retrofitting the parks is awkward and has "baggage", but making a new one for a new audience who only knows the films could be really cool. The material is great if you are given the freedom to begin anew and make it clear that you are doing the films and then go all out. So Mermaids in the caves coming up and being along your boat would be incredible if they were done well in the darkness. Could be a very different and greatest ride ever. If you're going for Johnny Depp bring on the Kraken, Pirate hideout at the end of the world, etc. and all that great imagery and do it beyond anything in the past.

flavious27

Stir things up. Although....if you built a new Pirate ride in Shanghai, then rethinking it entirely from the film POV could be great idea. Retrofitting the parks is awkward and has "baggage", but making a new one for a new audience who only knows the films could be really cool. The material is great if you are given the freedom to begin anew and make it clear that you are doing the films and then go all out. So Mermaids in the caves coming up and being along your boat would be incredible if they were done well in the darkness. Could be a very different and greatest ride ever. If you're going for Johnny Depp bring on the Kraken, Pirate hideout at the end of the world, etc. and all that great imagery and do it beyond anything in the past.

That could be a great ride, if the budget had latitude and the vision did not have restraints.

Missing20K

Just wanted to say that it's awesome this thread is still going. Haven't had much time to post recently, but it's been one heckuva read. A supreme time killer in any manner of situations. Not too mention enlightening far beyond the typical Disney armchair imagineering discussions. Thanks Eddie and Steve!

HMF

As the POTC Movie series becomes more and more fanciful, I'm wondering if they will end up incorporating Mermaids and Zombies, etc into the shows over time. You can never have enough Mermaids...

I might have mentioned this already but Disney has unintentionally created a loophole by having Blackbeard who inspired the rides original Captain being the villain in the new movie when the Ride's Captain has been replaced with Barbossa to bring it more in line with the movie. Oops!

jt04

Just wanted to say that it's awesome this thread is still going. Haven't had much time to post recently, but it's been one heckuva read. A supreme time killer in any manner of situations. Not too mention enlightening far beyond the typical Disney armchair imagineering discussions. Thanks Eddie and Steve!

We agree for once. :king:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

You are more than welcome. Now add something new!

jt04

I think we all agree with certain aspects of the parks, if not why even post on here?

It is posts like this one that makes me think you are just trying to get a higher post count as it is totally out of context. :brick:

Hmmm, what former member does this remind me of?

This thread keeps getting better like a fine wine. Let's keep it that way please. :wave:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think we all agree with certain aspects of the parks, if not why even post on here?

It's always ok to disagree. I think the rare moments when we actually DO agree are worth celebrating too! :animwink:

To add a small thought here, this is not so much about debate as on other threads, but discussing the process and challenges of designing and building Disney parks. Although debate is healthy, it's not the core intent of the thread, it's a byproduct. I'm here to share experiences on "the other side of the curtain" and shed light on why and how these things get built. All of you here have done a great job of keeping the discussion constructive and on track. Thank you. Sometimes that ends up in the motives of the corporation or other issues that effect the final product and get a bit snarky, but that goes with the subject matter. I'm frequently asked to discuss what I think of certain new additions, and that's part of it was well. Just wanted to take this moment to thank you for keeping things real but always constructive. Back to the debate!

rsoxguy

Eddie,

I checked the Kevin Yee link that you provided above. What is your take on the classic vs. creative debate? As a former Imagineer, do you appreciate the more whimsical entrance, or the original somber version? What is the merit of your preference as a creative person working within the business?

flavious27

It is posts like this one that makes me think you are just trying to get a higher post count as it is totally out of context. :brick:

Hmmm, what former member does this remind me of?

This thread keeps getting better like a fine wine. Let's keep it that way please. :wave:

Not really, the forum is about disney so there will be common aspects we will agree with. If not why even post 10k anti disney posts if you don't like disney. If this was a forum about politics, then it would make sense that members would not see eye to eye.

HBG2

Eddie left a comment at my blog earlier today that brings up an interesting point. He related how a veteran Imagineer from "back in the day" told him recently that Marc Davis used to interact with attractions as they were being built. As a stage or set began to take shape, Marc would note things like the dimensions and layout, and then go back and do new sketches of the characters in the scene. We tend to think of the artwork as the starting point only, but in reality it would sometimes evolve as the attraction began to set in concrete.

It reminded me how deeply involved the classic Imagineers often were with every aspect of the show, right down to the end product. It was Davis, for example, who decided when the HM should open!

My question is, How did this change? Walt liked to recruit jack-of-all-trade types, artists as comfortable with a screwdriver as with a paint brush. Tinkerers. It seems like everybody did anything and everything back in the Golden Age. The full-time staff was a small number. Nowadays, WDI seems like a small army, with departments and specialties, and the casual disregard for those types of boundaries seems like a thing of the past. (At least that's how it seems from here.) I'd like Eddie's take on the dynamics behind this evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom