Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pioneer Hall

In Tokyo, you see much more of the slacks/dress shirts crowd; generally, the Japanese wear nicer clothes when they go to TDL/TDS than their American counterparts. I remember reading and hearing about how Disney had to "tone down" some attractions where the guest gets sprayed with water because the Japanese did not like their nice clothes getting wet or ruined.

The cultural differences and respect level in Japan are so much different than the US. While I can't speak from experience, the guest relations hosts must have it a bit easier over there where there isn't a me first and only attitude amongst many of the guests. I can only imagine the nightmare Disney would have if something the magnitude of the earthquake ever happened in DL or FL. After some people realized they were ok they would want to know how Disney was compensating them and how loud they would have to yell to get it.

tirian

I guess my point in the beginning is that those countries just get further from their stereotyped roots and come off even more romanticized than they were at the outset. Who knows, in time those who really live in those countries may yearn for the simpler, more traditional view EPCOT portrays, like little nostalgic Main Streets!

I think those days are already here. I've discussed the pavilions with guests, and most of them appreciate the traditional culture presented at Epcot. Perhaps the notion that international guests will be offended by Epcot's traditional pavilions is simply our American obsession with being politically correct. :shrug:

I watched Walt's EPCOT film yesterday and was amused how he optimistically believed corporations would simply cooperate under WED's leadership. In the 60s, science made everything look possible; but now we know that as long as people are involved, opportunities for corruption will exist. Plus, technology now progresses so rapidly, people are jaded to breakthroughs. I know that's a cynical statement—but it's unfortunately true.

In 2011, Future World works better when its pavilions focus on the wonders of the real world, as opposed to a brighter industrial future. For this reason, as much as I'd love to see an updated Horizons back in Epcot, the original attraction would seem laughably naïve.

Krack

Perhaps the notion that international guests will be offended by Epcot's traditional pavilions is simply our American obsession with being politically correct. :shrug:

I agree with this part almost completely. Are there American's upset that the colonial-era northeastern architecture displayed at the American Adventure pavilion doesn't represent their area of the country? Are there legions of Americans angry that their pavilion's food options are fast food (mostly originating in other countries)? I've never seen it. I think the vast majority of people reasonably understand and enjoy that that the World Showcase pavilions present a small idealized flavor of the individual nations.

I disagree, however, with your depiction of Horizons.

flavious27

I think those days are already here. I've discussed the pavilions with guests, and most of them appreciate the traditional culture presented at Epcot. Perhaps the notion that international guests will be offended by Epcot's traditional pavilions is simply our American obsession with being politically correct. :shrug:

I watched Walt's EPCOT film yesterday and was amused how he optimistically believed corporations would simply cooperate under WED's leadership. In the 60s, science made everything look possible; but now we know that as long as people are involved, opportunities for corruption will exist. Plus, technology now progresses so rapidly, people are jaded to breakthroughs. I know that's a cynical statement—but it's unfortunately true.

In 2011, Future World works better when its pavilions focus on the wonders of the real world, as opposed to a brighter industrial future. For this reason, as much as I'd love to see an updated Horizons back in Epcot, the original attraction would seem laughably naïve.

if we can't get GE to pay any federal taxes when they make $14 billion in profits, I doubt we can believe that they will work for a better future for everyone.

flavious27

I agree with this part almost completely. Are there American's upset that the colonial-era northeastern architecture displayed at the American Adventure pavilion doesn't represent their area of the country? Are there legions of Americans angry that their pavilion's food options are fast food (mostly originating in other countries)? I've never seen it. I think the vast majority of people reasonably understand and enjoy that that the World Showcase pavilions present a small idealized flavor of the individual nations.

Living no farther than one hour from philly my whole life, the architecture represented in AA is fine for me. I do take offense that the traditional amusement park FF is only at AA and that there is not a nice TS restaurant.

Krack

Living no farther than one hour from philly my whole life, the architecture represented in AA is fine for me. I do take offense that the traditional amusement park FF is only at AA and that there is not a nice TS restaurant.

You're offended by it? Or do you just wish it were TS? I ask because I'd prefer there be a sit down restaurant, but I don't find it offensive.

tirian

Krack, I loved Horizons, and I strongly believe Epcot needs a Horizons 2.0 to unify the FW themes and offer an optimistic worldview. But the original attraction's emphasis on "Gee whiz, look what we've got now!" probably wouldn't be as impressive to modern audiences who are accustomed to immediately watching videos of cutting-edge technology the day it's released online. An updated Horizons would have to focus a bit more on the human connection throughout technology's advancements—even though the original did a pretty good job at avoiding dystopian worldviews. :lol:

redshoesrock

if we can't get GE to pay any federal taxes when they make $14 billion in profits, I doubt we can believe that they will work for a better future for everyone.

Speaking of GE (and Walt's EPCOT film a few posts up), did you know that right when Walt passed away he was sending out feelers to GE for a possible merger between his company and theirs for the purpose of funding and creating EPCOT and Progress City? That's the same GE that owns (bum bum BUMMMMM) Universal Studios! Wrap your brainpans around *that* "What if?" scenario.

inluvwithbeast

You're offended by it? Or do you just wish it were TS? I ask because I'd prefer there be a sit down restaurant, but I don't find it offensive.

I have to agree with you on that. Maybe I'm ignorant, but other than "Thanksgiving" and barbecue, I'm having a hard time thinking of cuisine that is inherently American. Burgers? Fries? Hot dogs? Cheese steak? Those are not TS foods, and they're already served all around the park. Most "American" food that would qualify for a TS would see to me to be Americanized Italian, German, Mexican, French, etc.

Let me know if something slipped my mind!

fyn

I have to agree with you on that. Maybe I'm ignorant, but other than "Thanksgiving" and barbecue, I'm having a hard time thinking of cuisine that is inherently American. Burgers? Fries? Hot dogs? Cheese steak? Those are not TS foods, and they're already served all around the park. Most "American" food that would qualify for a TS would see to me to be Americanized Italian, German, Mexican, French, etc.

Let me know if something slipped my mind!

American cuisines?

Northeastern seafood.
Mid-atlantic seafood.
Soul food.
BBQ (all varieties).
Steak (sure, served at LC, but why not 2?).
Tex-Mex (which *isn't* Mexican).
Pacific Northwest.
Heck, even burgers are gourmet now.

There's more than enough high quality American cuisines to make a TS experience.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Speaking of GE (and Walt's EPCOT film a few posts up), did you know that right when Walt passed away he was sending out feelers to GE for a possible merger between his company and theirs for the purpose of funding and creating EPCOT and Progress City? That's the same GE that owns (bum bum BUMMMMM) Universal Studios! Wrap your brainpans around *that* "What if?" scenario.

Wow. Never heard that story. It's ironic they got swallowed up by Steve jobs instead!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

I think you are right. Everything in movies looks possible so when something happens for real, it's just expected. EPCOT should it live on for any length of time will have to find a bigger idea to hang it's sphere on. It does scratch the surface of filling a need in people in that it's the world some people imagine they could visit or thrive in that was harmonious, or perhaps used to exist when the world was exotic and safe.

inluvwithbeast

American cuisines?

Northeastern seafood.
Mid-atlantic seafood.
Soul food.
BBQ (all varieties).
Pacific Northwest.

There's more than enough high quality American cuisines to make a TS experience.

Okay, lol. You got me. I knew I had to be overlooking something. I guess I would feel weird eating BBQ, soul food, or Tex-Mex at a TS. I mean... it's WDW. I know it's possible to do them up and all, but I guess what is familiar is not as alluring, eh?

flavious27

I am offended that the only traditional amusement park FF is at AA. I wish that they would switch AA to a TS and sell the FF out of a stand like they do in the rest of WS. Also most of the FF sold was not created in America, it is part of our cuisine but so is pizza and Chinese food.

flavious27

Well blackstone and merlin owns very other major park in florida.

I don't see GE going through to build walt's epcot, or really any other company. It is very ambitious and would scare shareholders.

inluvwithbeast

I am offended that the only traditional amusement park FF is at AA. I wish that they would switch AA to a TS and sell the FF out of a stand like they do in the rest of WS. Also most of the FF sold was not created in America, it is part of our cuisine but so is pizza and Chinese food.

But it's definitely NOT authentic Chinese food (or pizza for that matter). In fact, a lot of the things we assume are Chinese food were invented in the US.

flavious27

American cuisines?

Northeastern seafood.
Mid-atlantic seafood.
Soul food.
BBQ (all varieties).
Pacific Northwest.

You mean the food that is served in most of the high end restaurants on property? I would hope that if they did ever do this, that they would offer tasting menus for the various regions. Every region in our country has a soup or salad, then one or two entrees, and a desert that can be made into a menu.

tirian

Perhaps the notion that international guests will be offended by Epcot's traditional pavilions is simply our American obsession with being politically correct.
—And that's the sort of sentence one writes when listening to Cole Porter tunes. :lol:

tirian

You mean the food that is served in most of the high end restaurants on property? I would hope that if they did ever do this, that they would offer tasting menus for the various regions. Every region in our country has a soup or salad, then one or two entrees, and a desert that can be made into a menu.

A Death Valley desert dessert?

flavious27

Okay, lol. You got me. I knew I had to be overlooking something. I guess I would feel weird eating BBQ, soul food, or Tex-Mex at a TS. I mean... it's WDW. I know it's possible to do them up and all, but I guess what is familiar is not as alluring, eh?

Well what is familiar is not always what is authentic and or the full extent of that cuisine. Soul/southern food is more than just grits and fried chicken and bbq is more than just meat dipped in a sweet sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom