Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt04

A lot of my optimism was shattered with the last SSE re-do

The descent is a prime example of trashing optimism for silly humor. It's as if they are saying, "No optimism for you!"

But the post show redeems the refurb a tad.

HMF

The descent is a prime example of trashing optimism for silly humor. It's as if they are saying, "No optimism for you!"

But the post show redeems the refurb a tad.
The written for 3 year old's narration does not help. BTW' Young kids are a lot smarter than most adults give them credit for.

jt04

The written for 3 year old's narration does not help. BTW' Young kids are a lot smarter than most adults give them credit for.

True in a sense. But many bought into the idea that Epcot was boring and there was not enough kid stuff. Of course a huge percentage of those were parroting what they heard from others or those parents that did not understand the idea either. And instead of Disney educating people on Epcot they just seemed to give up. I think even Eisner bought into the thought it was not Disneyfied enough. :brick:

mickey2008.1

DTD could work really well with a food and wine experince, beer too, from around the world. But the market aspect is not so good as many people who would vist would not want to buy foods. But maybe different games fromaround the world exposed would work. Why not have horse track, dog racing, jai alai, soccer team, as well as some night time fire works. a night time life with foods is great, who doesnt like gyros with a beer, or funnel cakes? Try to make it like an upscale city fair, with great restaurants and family friendly bars scattered around, as well as some adult comedy, they already have house of blues( adult oriented), just not as much as before. Who doesnt like a street fair disney style? Characters walking up and down the main drag, cotton candy boothes, beer stands, a good night parade followed by fireworks. Bring it back to family life.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
True in a sense. But many bought into the idea that Epcot was boring and there was not enough kid stuff. Of course a huge percentage of those were parroting what they heard from others or those parents that did not understand the idea either. And instead of Disney educating people on Epcot they just seemed to give up. I think even Eisner bought into the thought it was not Disneyfied enough. :brick:

From what I've read by others, Eisner never liked Epcot to begin with

lazyboy97o

Eddie, I was wondering if you have any thoughts on Autodesk's announcement of AutoCAD WS, an iOS application for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. I am very curious to see how this technology, which usually requires a good bit of power, is going to run on such mobile platforms.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, I was wondering if you have any thoughts on Autodesk's announcement of AutoCAD WS, an iOS application for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. I am very curious to see how this technology, which usually requires a good bit of power, is going to run on such mobile platforms.

I was happy when they put Sketchbook Pro on the iPad as now you can use it with a stylus to draw and send images. Huge thing for my business. They did a pretty good job of converting it. CAD files can be huge so I'm not sure how well it will work but I certainly welcome it. If I was on the road and someone wanted me to review and look at a CAD file and make notes or small changes and send it back, then the iPad or iPhone version (even stripped down) would be ideal. The one area Apple has lagged is in compatibility in Architectural software, so it's great that Autodesk is finally coming around.

MiklCraw4d

Do you view "Disney" as a religion of sorts? Just curious.

I wouldn't use the term "religion", but I would definitely call it a "philosophy". It's no cosmology or theology or system of meaning, but it's certainly a worldview. And yeah, it's also a cult.

I think one of the problems is that as a philosophy it means different things to different people. To some folks, it's all about all the buzzwords - "magic" and "dreams" and "wishes". Pixie dust stuff. To me it's about quality - about constant, iterative improvement working towards a platonic ideal. About sparing no expense in the pursuit of quality product, with the belief that your efforts will be rewarded in the end. About having the efforts of a company be about delivering quality product (film, park, or otherwise) to the consumer, instead of it just being about gaming the stock price to bring in sweet dividends at the end of the quarter. The belief that quality will out. And about a real pragmatic optimism for the future, and the urge to innovate and try new things to help bring the future about.

And some people just like collecting Vinylmation.

Different strokes for different folks.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
From what I've read by others, Eisner never liked Epcot to begin with

I think he did like EPCOT in that he wanted to do one on the west coast. I know he went to the CES in Vegas and thought EPCOT needed that kind of excitement and "bleeding edge" energy. He wanted it to be more technically futuristic and that's why Communicore happened. A good idea, but it's obviously hard to maintain that "cutting edge". On the balance sheet it was thought a loser that they didn't know what to do with.

rsoxguy

I think he did like EPCOT in that he wanted to do one on the west coast. I know he went to the CES in Vegas and thought EPCOT needed that kind of excitement and "bleeding edge" energy. He wanted it to be more technically futuristic and that's why Communicore happened. A good idea, but it's obviously hard to maintain that "cutting edge". On the balance sheet it was thought a loser that they didn't know what to do with.

Your posts are always very informative and insightful. I don't know if anyone has said this lately, but thank you for sharing your knowledge of WDW with the members of this forum.

HMF

As much as we all bemoan Eisner for his failings in the later years. I have to admit he was passionate about the material. I wish I could say the same about Iger. He seems too much like a business person. Not that there is anything wrong with that (I am a huge Warren Buffett fan) but in a company which is based on creativity and a legacy. I really want someone who is passionate about what they do.

jt04

As much as we all bemoan Eisner for his failings in the later years. I have to admit he was passionate about the material. I wish I could say the same about Iger. He seems too much like a business person. Not that there is anything wrong with that (I am a huge Warren Buffett fan) but in a company which is based on creativity and a legacy. I really want someone who is passionate about what they do.

I noticed in the c-span Imagineering program that he mentioned that Iger participates in reviewing all the virtual work at flower street. I also heard he was personally showing people models of Carsland and was very upbeat about the entire project. He seems to me to be the type that lets others get every bit of the credit and shuns the spotlight, obviously. CEO's like Eisner and Jobs love the stage. Iger seems to hate it. But that does not indicate he is any less concerned about the Disney product.

IMO.

Also, not to put Mr Sotto on the spot but Communicore pre-dates Eisner I think. He did change it up, some for the better and some not. It definitely resembled a flashy trade show for awhile. That's for sure. It seems to be taking on more of it's original characteristics lately however although I doubt the name will be brought back.

HMF

I noticed in the c-span Imagineering program that he mentioned that Iger participates in reviewing all the virtual work at flower street. I also heard he was personally showing people models of Carsland and was very upbeat about the entire project. He seems to me to be the type that lets others get every bit of the credit and shuns the spotlight, obviously. CEO's like Eisner and Jobs love the stage. Iger seems to hate it. But that does not indicate he is any less concerned about the Disney product.

IMO.
I think that might be part of the problem. We really don't see Iger that much. Eisner used to come out and introduce Disney TV Specials much like Walt did. Iger always seems a bit off to me and rarely appears publicly. Like I said he seems more like a "suit" than Eisner was.

jt04

I think that might be part of the problem. We really don't see Iger that much. Eisner used to come out and introduce Disney TV Specials much like Walt did. Iger always seems a bit off to me and rarely appears publicly. Like I said he seems more like a "suit" than Eisner was.

I can definitely see how folks would get that impression.

I believe Iger will be remembered for saving an American institution. But I also think he is the type of person that doesn't care about accolades. He is on a mission so to speak and he has probably already achieved his basic objectives.

But that is just the opinion of someone watching from the outside.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Michael is charming for sure and did lots of good things. I think Bob has creative instincts but does not try and play that role publically. He coaches versus quarterbacking. Instead of creating the expectation of himself by being the "Walt" figure on TV, he invests in creative people, as he did by buying Pixar. Wall Street loves that. Smart people surround themselves with smarter people. ("A" talent hire "A" talent, "B" talent hire "C" talent) I support that and I think Bob is doing a great job. He exceeds expectation by not setting himself up to be "the genius". Instead, he shows off his new Ferrari, John Lassiter. He shook up the parks but putting in Tom Staggs who is now questioning the FL program at MK. Love that. All seem like good moves to me. He is doing all of this investment in a horrid economy BTW. So he does take risks. From what I hear and read, Iger delegates things and holds people responsible for their work. He looks at it and gives direction which is his job. I'd rather have someone give me a bit more free reign and show them my complete vision for review and critique, than have them think they are creative and make me execute their weak ideas. I don't know if his tweaks on the "World of Color" helped it or hurt it, but he did let them develop their vision first which I respect. When suits play designer which happens alot, you can get mixed results. They sometimes drop an idea or a business formula into a room and leave you to execute it with little regard for your instincts. The finance folks like to do this as well as they are responsible for the business formula of the park so they drive which rides get in. You do need balance in the design process and everyone should be heard. Bob seems like someone who listens alot, has an opinion, and will respond to a logical creative rebuttal. The Graves Hotels, Light Magic, TL 98, and DCA 1.0 are IMHO, examples of what can happen when executives play designer too much.

Slowjack

Also, not to put Mr Sotto on the spot but Communicore pre-dates Eisner I think. He did change it up, some for the better and some not. It definitely resembled a flashy trade show for awhile. That's for sure. It seems to be taking on more of it's original characteristics lately however although I doubt the name will be brought back.
I think Mr. Sotto was referring to Innoventions -- that particular re-working of Communicore was definitely an Eisner idea. He thought it would be like a constantly updated consumer electronics show, and like a consumer electronics show, the companies displaying their wares would be footing the bill for the show. On some level that makes sense, and heaven knows you could not have paid my wife to go into the original Communicore, but the first time I went into Innoventions and was asked to wait in line to watch a presentation on new cell phones, I sensed the concept was flawed.

Slowjack

I think Bob has creative instincts but does not try and play that role publically.
I think we also have to remember that anyone who is runs this particular company stands in the shadow of a man whom history has ascribed a preternatural gift for creativity. So unless one thinks of oneself as "the next Walt Disney," it's smart to stay in the background, rather than set oneself up for the inevitable, unfavorable comparison.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
That brings up a good point. A lot of people (not me) have suggested Tony Baxter should have been fired after TL98 but which percentage of TL98 was Tony and how much of it was the park management?

In an panel discussion with Tony some time ago (Disney Family Museum?), he said his biggest regret was Rocket Rods and then blamed Timur Galen, an exec who cut the budget for it's demise. I was not there, so this is second hand. I know at the time Paul Pressler was very involved in creative decisions, even on my projects. Then I quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom