Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Have you ever returned to a park project you designed a year or two later and the Operations group has stopped performing a required task designed in to the project? Is there any sort of recourse for that sort of thing, or is Imagineering powerless to prevent Operations from cutting corners or getting lazy with the details?

Yes. This is the most common thing that drives you nuts. The queue in Indy had effects down for months. There are things that are turned off to this day in DLP. There is nothing to force anyone to keep the effects working other than in a manual there is a rule that says if a certain amount or critical show elements are down you must close the ride. They usually don't.

That is why it's important to design effects into shows that CAN be reasonably maintained.

The Ice Machine in Indiana Jones was an effect that was very important to giving the impression of "falling debris" in the temple scene. It was a fight with the engineers to get it into the show, but in the end, was shut off most of the time because it was too hard to maintain. It may have been removed eventually. A good lesson.

Just my $.02 on the maintenance issue-- in lighting there's always a battle with lamping.

How many times have we all seen 10 light fixtures in a room or along a pathway and 8 of them are cool white and two of them are warm white or greenish? It drives me absolutely bonkers.

The only thing you can do to help, at least partially, is to only spec only one type of lamp that will fit in each type of base (square peg only fits in the square hole). That and plead with maintenance to relamp all similar fixtures at the same time.

HMF

Speaking of signage Eddie, I was thinking about the Lafitte's Tavern sign that HMF mentioned as "being gone", when it's really just become hit or miss if the Fantasmic! techs flip it back up at the end of the night to be ready in the morning.
I have not seen photos with the Laffites Tavern sign up since at least before Summer Nightastic.

TP2000

I have not seen photos with the Laffites Tavern sign up since at least before Summer Nightastic.

Not sure about last summer, but it was up this past Christmas when I was over on the Island. As I said, it comes and goes, and if a Fantasmic! tech forgets to flip it back up after the last show, it usually stays down for the next days operation.

I'm amazed that WDI doesn't have more say in that type of stuff. Or at the very least, go into the parks regularly and inspect how things are looking and fire off an email or two if things aren't satisfactory.

I don't remember if the Lafitte's Tavern sign was up or down when I was over there last weekend to check out the rehab. They had all the pirate weaponry at the door, and the rowdy pirate tavern soundtrack playing from inside the windows though, so clearly it's not supposed to be a friendly cider mill. They noticeably refreshed all the Pirate's Lair props over on the island, particularly the pirate stuff on the rafts that are still labeled "Blackbeard" and "Anne Bonney" with pirate flags flying from their masts.

HMF

Not sure about last summer, but it was up this past Christmas when I was over on the Island. As I said, it comes and goes, and if a Fantasmic! tech forgets to flip it back up after the last show, it usually stays down for the next days operation.

I'm amazed that WDI doesn't have more say in that type of stuff. Or at the very least, go into the parks regularly and inspect how things are looking and fire off an email or two if things aren't satisfactory.

I don't remember if the Lafitte's Tavern sign was up or down when I was over there last weekend to check out the rehab. They had all the pirate weaponry at the door, and the rowdy pirate tavern soundtrack playing from inside the windows though, so clearly it's not supposed to be a friendly cider mill. They noticeably refreshed all the Pirate's Lair props over on the island, particularly the pirate stuff on the rafts that are still labeled "Blackbeard" and "Anne Bonney" with pirate flags flying from their masts.
Do we know if Carla Carlile and her team insisted that they permanently remove the Lafittes Tavern sign for Fantasmic convenience.

TP2000

Do we know if Carla Carlile and her team insisted that they permanently remove the Lafittes Tavern sign for Fantasmic convenience.

Perhaps. But then, I have never heard of Carla Carlile. :lol:

Is she a Disneyland entertainment exec?

TP2000

Show Director-Fantasmic

Oh. I've never heard mention of her before. But then, I'm just a guy livin' in Villa Park with a nice view of the Disneyland fireworks and an Annual Pass. But the name doesn't ring a bell from my time on the Internets, and I'm usually pretty good with dates and names.

But for you, HMF, I will pay particular attention to see if the Lafitte's Tavern sign is flipped up in view on Tom Sawyer Island on my next visit. :wave:

What's funny is that the Lafitte's Tavern sign almost exactly fits the description Eddie gave for predictable, boring signage compared to the more daring Pirate's Lair sails!

"So many times the formulaic solution is a rectangular sign with moldings and filagree surrounding the text, then an oval is placed above with a small illustration in it. Refreshing to me to see something different." -Eddie Sotto

3043283430_ea92f9a0e5.jpg

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What's funny is that the Lafitte's Tavern sign almost exactly fits the description Eddie gave for predictable, boring signage compared to the more daring Pirate's Lair sails!

"So many times the formulaic solution is a rectangular sign with moldings and filagree surrounding the text, then an oval is placed above with a small illustration in it. Refreshing to me to see something different." -Eddie Sotto

3043283430_ea92f9a0e5.jpg

YOU'RE RIGHT!....LOL...I'm Busted! No way to escape that one. Guilty as charged. Thanks for pointing that out :lol::shrug:. In this situation, Pub and Tavern signs usually do have illustrations of an animal or whatever the name is. But that would sound like me back peddling no?

GymLeaderPhil

Eddie while were on the subject of reliability, what's your take on audio animatronics? It seems like their use has steadily declined in favor of projections/monitors as they become more complex. In addition it seems like routine maintenance of these figures have been neglected out in Orlando and they are simply waiting until they cause attraction closures to fix the most basic of animations (if at all.)

Do you think the under staffed/qualified engineers at the park level and those number clickers in operation trying to reach guest carried targets have essentially killed Disney's show quality standards? Do you think WDI should have a larger role maintaining the magic after the attraction is given to park operations?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie while were on the subject of reliability, what's your take on audio animatronics? It seems like their use has steadily declined in favor of projections/monitors as they become more complex. In addition it seems like routine maintenance of these figures have been neglected out in Orlando and they are simply waiting until they cause attraction closures to fix the most basic of animations (if at all.)

Do you think the under staffed/qualified engineers at the park level and those number clickers in operation trying to reach guest carried targets have essentially killed Disney's show quality standards? Do you think WDI should have a larger role maintaining the magic after the attraction is given to park operations?

I cannot really address the current state of upkeep on the figures as I have not worked at the company in a decade, but I do recall that at DL the Pirate (cam operated figures) had limiters put on some of them to reduce the wear, but this also reduced the amount of movement in the animation. They were rebuilt without them as I recall. Today those mechanical cam operated figures have been replaced with solid state control systems and this has made them easier to maintain. Repetitive movement and hydraulic leaks have been the toughest things to deal with over the years as the fluid is messy or the move itself over time tears the skin or the costume. Most recently, the new Lincoln head uses electronics and is quite advanced. I think they are considering the longevity when they redesign figures so over time it should improve.

I cannot really address the current state of upkeep on the figures as I have not worked at the company in a decade, but I do recall that at DL the Pirate (cam operated figures) had limiters put on some of them to reduce the wear, but this also reduced the amount of movement in the animation. They were rebuilt without them as I recall. Today those mechanical cam operated figures have been replaced with solid state control systems and this has made them easier to maintain. Repetitive movement and hydraulic leaks have been the toughest things to deal with over the years as the fluid is messy or the move itself wears out the skin of the costume. Most recently the new Lincoln head uses electronics and is quite advanced. I think they are considering the longevity when they redesign figures so over time it should improve.

Eddie I know you haven't worked for WDI in a while but have you heard anything new about the Yeti from EE?

HMF

I agree with Eddie on this but is there a way to have the Pirates Lair marquee not cover the words Tom Sawyer Island?
If I was good at photoshop I would render what I have in mind. Speaking of which in a lot of recent promotional videos many Imagineers are wearing nametags with the WED logo. Am I reading too much into this or is there a significant reason? If so I cannot wait to wear that nametag.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I agree with Eddie on this but is there a way to have the Pirates Lair marquee not cover the words Tom Sawyer Island?
If I was good at photoshop I would render what I have in mind. Speaking of which in a lot of recent promotional videos many Imagineers are wearing nametags with the WED logo. Am I reading too much into this or is there a significant reason? If so I cannot wait to wear that nametag.

There is WED merchandise being sold at the WDI Company Store. I'm not sure why you see the nametags either, other than a recent nostalgia for WED.

HMF

There is WED merchandise being sold at the WDI Company Store. I'm not sure why you see the nametags either, other than a recent nostalgia for WED.
It has been said in the past that Lasseter wants to change the name back. Could this be happening?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
It has been said in the past that Lasseter wants to change the name back. Could this be happening?

I have read that somewhere, but who knows if it is true. I can't imagine them going through all of that cost to do that. Nice idea though.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie while were on the subject of reliability, what's your take on audio animatronics? It seems like their use has steadily declined in favor of projections/monitors as they become more complex.

When I was there, the expense per figure was so high that you could not afford them and in the end, were they that convincing? Could you afford enough moves to make it do what it needed to do? Video solutions (Pepper's ghost, video on scrim, shadow projections, etc) provide movement that is more realistic and more often lives up to expectation. The over use of this (or too literal application of it's use) runs the risk of the guest becoming aware of the video and then you ARE just watching a movie! So balance is needed in all of this. Indy had lots of figures but the cost was through the roof, so post budget, we ended up with a few select figures of just Indy and some AA Snakes, with other effects and the vehicle being a big part of the show, etc. I think the great shows work the best with all of it in small doses, not just the pervasive use of one medium. TDL Pooh was all of it in small doses to keep you guessing. The vehicle did that too to a degree. The AA being the weakest of them all in my opinion. Whatever is the best way to achieve the most convincing look.

Here's a 2 part review of HARRY POTTER Attraction at Universal where they discuss some new ways to achieve lifelike movement (in part 2).

http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/05/18...-potter-preview-for-pow-wow-attendees-part-1/

HMF

But for you, HMF, I will pay particular attention to see if the Lafitte's Tavern sign is flipped up in view on Tom Sawyer Island on my next visit. :wave:
It appears Al Lutz has answered our question.
"A few of the Pirate's Lair details that have gone missing, like the Lafitte's Tavern sign above the stage and the pirate flag flying from the ships mast nearby, are due primarily to Fantasmic! stage technicians who don't want to be bothered with putting those moveable props back in their rightful place after an evening of performing Fantasmic!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom