Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I wish it were that simple. It sure seems that way sometimes. As you know, Disney is publically traded. Public companies exist not for the founders, but to survive and show growth. At the end of the day, everyone from the CEO on down is measured by the gold standard of what the stock is doing and the growth of the company. The geist of the company reflects that, stocks reflect that. Now the argument can be made that minding the ways of Walt is good business and it is. It is long term, slow growth thinking. Not very American. When I was there years a ago it was quarter to quarter growth measurement. Not as aggressive today, but growth is still the goal. There are CEO's that do that well and make for succcess. The reality is that the Company under Walt was not a stockholder's dream. Walt took it to the brink many times and only Eisner was able to grow the company exponentially. Iger has been doing long term things with big checks like buying Pixar, Marvel, building new Cruise ships and even reviving DCA and DL for it's 50th.

Walt wanted to get away from the stockholders because he wanted to dream without answering to anyone. Walt was an entrepreneur and innovator. The world has changed too. Companies are far more complex. Today the company has to serve that mantra as much as it makes sense, but also slave for a less benevolent master, the stock. So the whole layer of finance is out there not because they are intrinsically evil, but in their eyes they protect the company from doing things that cannot possibly make the money back, or will not grow the company enough to make the investment as wise use of resources. The CEO has to push the logic, question the numbers and make the judgement calls that are beyond analysis.

What you hope for is a balance of the two worlds of art and commerce to keep each other in check. I find that it's more of a pendulum.

Excellently put. I find myself blaming the "bean counters" but sometimes there are good reasons why things aren't approved, etc.

Having said that, I think TWDC is sometimes too diversified and the attempts at pushing synergy into the parks make them lose some of the uniqueness of them.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
This is so well said. It is in style today to just simplistically attack corporations without honestly evaluating the challanges they face. But in reality they are really run and financed by your "neighbors".

Eisner's agressive quarter to quarter strategy did grow the company amazingly. He should be credited for that. But that strategy, it appears to me, went on too long and created serious long term challanges for the company. As you said, Walt took the company to the brink but so did Eisner for the opposite reasons. Iger's challange has been to try to reverse the Eisner years without then taking the company to the brink in the manner Walt did. That is the challange Iger and company seem to be meeting. And they have done so in very difficult times. I still think in the end it is quality that sells. And I'm encouraged that they have become rather agressive at cancelling or reengineering projects that are not "ready for prime time" rather than just churning out product.

Well said. The best and worst times at the company for me was during the Eisner years. Building DLP was part of the optimistic times, but after that is was referred to as the era of austerity. Michael did take risks but would not do anything that could never no matter how successful make it's money back. That's what he said. Raiding the vault of classic movies and putting then out of VHS, then DVD created an artificially high hurdle of quarterly success that just could not be sustained over time when the content ran thin.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think that idea of continued growth is a flawed business model. You can only continue to grow a company so much until it begins to implode under its own weight. I believe in having a diversified company with many different profit sectors so that one sector having a bad year doesn't kill everyone. However this ridiculous idea that every quarter should show a larger profit than the quarter before it is completely ridiculous. I know its not the American way, and I'm not being a good Republican by saying this, but what's wrong with just being a company who makes a consistent profit, will do so for a long time because of the goodwill the company generates with its customers by not cutting corners every way that it can.

Well said. Ask Starbucks..and Krispy Creme and Planet Hollywood and every other over extended chain of anything.

JLeinenveber

I apologize for potentially shifting the gears of the conversation, but I have a question I thought would be interesting to ask Eddie.

What do you think of the new queue-less system they are trying to implement at the parks? They are currently testing it out over at RnR, and I wanted to get your take on it. I seem to recall reading that you were not the biggest fan of the FP system, as it took away the potential storytelling of the queue. With the proper investment and attention (and built intentionally from the beginning, not just temporary), could it be just as sucessfull as a traditional queue? Thanks!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think they very well could have. There would certainly be more of personal stake in each park.

However, we do have Tokyo Disney as a shining example of how a property can be properly operated by a publicly-traded company. Would investment on the scale of phase one of Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center, Tokyo DisneySea, etc., be likely if the company were private?

Long story. In Japan they raised all the money to build the whole park from deposits on newly created land on the landfill they were building, so in effect the park was free. This is true. Only in recent years has OLC become publically traded. I remember this having a bit of an effect on them.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I apologize for potentially shifting the gears of the conversation, but I have a question I thought would be interesting to ask Eddie.

What do you think of the new queue-less system they are trying to implement at the parks? They are currently testing it out over at RnR, and I wanted to get your take on it. I seem to recall reading that you were not the biggest fan of the FP system, as it took away the potential storytelling of the queue. With the proper investment and attention (and built intentionally from the beginning, not just temporary), could it be just as sucessfull as a traditional queue? Thanks!

I'm very interested in experiencing it myself and seeing how something like this works. It works in Restaurants as you wait freely in the bar for your table, or with a pager, but we'll see. It sounds very innovative and maybe even fun!

WDW1974

I'm very interested in experiencing it myself and seeing how something like this works. It works in Restaurants as you wait freely in the bar for your table, or with a pager, but we'll see. It sounds very innovative and maybe even fun!

I'm interested as well.

Disney seems keen on the whole concept of getting rid of lines because people naturally complain about them more than any other aspect (except likely price, but you won't hear TDO talking about that) of a magical WDW vacation.

Fastpass, which shockingly has now been around for a decade, was the first step in the process of getting people out of lines (some might argue and I would, that it often creates more lines than it removes) but anyway ...

I personally would be more interested in hearing Eddie's opinion/knowledge? about the strong rumor out there that Tom Fitzgerald has been given creative control (or will be) over BOTH DL and DCA with Bob Weis already Shanghai-bound shortly and this would effectively bounce Tony Baxter from the company.

This is a very strong rumor, but I haven't been able to confirm any/all of it.

But someone with ties says they wouldn't be surprised if this were true because it sounds like a going away present for Marty since he was so fond (strangely) of Tom and with TPP going away, Tom needs something to keep busy and apparently DLP ain't it.

Also, rumor says that Tom became close to George K when the latter was No. 2 at DLP.

So ... you know anything about this?

Your thoughts?:xmas::xmas::xmas:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I'm interested as well.

Disney seems keen on the whole concept of getting rid of lines because people naturally complain about them more than any other aspect (except likely price, but you won't hear TDO talking about that) of a magical WDW vacation.

Fastpass, which shockingly has now been around for a decade, was the first step in the process of getting people out of lines (some might argue and I would, that it often creates more lines than it removes) but anyway ...

I personally would be more interested in hearing Eddie's opinion/knowledge? about the strong rumor out there that Tom Fitzgerald has been given creative control (or will be) over BOTH DL and DCA with Bob Weis already Shanghai-bound shortly and this would effectively bounce Tony Baxter from the company.

This is a very strong rumor, but I haven't been able to confirm any/all of it.

But someone with ties says they wouldn't be surprised if this were true because it sounds like a going away present for Marty since he was so fond (strangely) of Tom and with TPP going away, Tom needs something to keep busy and apparently DLP ain't it.

Also, rumor says that Tom became close to George K when the latter was No. 2 at DLP.

So ... you know anything about this?

Your thoughts?:xmas::xmas::xmas:

No. I don't. Other than hearing another form of this rumor. It's just that, I can't add anything to it. He will be with the company 40 years next year, so I'm not sure if that signals retirement looming or whatever, so my take is that if he were to leave it would be due to a retirement at some point (hopefully of his choosing), not an ouster. I guess anything is possible, I just want whatever he wants.

WDW1974

No. I don't. Other than hearing another form of this rumor. It's just that, I can't add anything to it. He will be with the company 40 years next year, so I'm not sure if that signals retirement looming or whatever, so my take is that if he were to leave it would be due to a retirement at some point (hopefully of his choosing), not an ouster. I guess anything is possible, I just want whatever he wants.

Everything I had heard until recently would be he would reture in 2012 when his current deal expires.

But the rumor-mill is churning fast and furious and I could see it happening.

I hope it isn't true.

I've always thought Tony and Tom were both divas who engaged in divisive politics in Glendale.

The difference is I've also always thought Tony was an amazing talent, while Tom ... ... Tom ... likes his movies and screens and that type of attraction in the parks (nicest thing I can say here).

But Tom also was a Marty-fave, Tony wasn't. And Tom is younger (think he's about 54 vs. Tony).

Oh well, like I said, hope it's just talk ... but with Bob headed to Shanghai, Star Tours 2.0 being the new attraction coming soon to DL ... and some strong Tron Legacy on the Peoplemover attraction rumors (again, film-based would be right up Tom's alley), a lot of it makes sense.:xmas:

WDW1974

^ What's wrong with film based attractions? :fork:

Nothing. In moderation.

But they get old much faster than real attractions that take you into another world be they an African savannah (KS), a haunted hotel (ToT), a colonial town being sacked by pirates (PoC) or a voyage to Neverland (PP) for starters.

Even a great film-based attraction like Soarin isn't timeless ...:xmas:

_Scar

Nothing. In moderation.

But they get old much faster than real attractions that take you into another world be they an African savannah (KS), a haunted hotel (ToT), a colonial town being sacked by pirates (PoC) or a voyage to Neverland (PP) for starters.

Do you mean film based as in based off a movie or using screens? Like Star Tours/Nemo?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Nothing. In moderation.

It's sort of a given that theater or film based attractions usually "wear out", (meaning lose their ability to draw attendance) for the park with audiences faster than say a more experiential or physically thrilling attraction. Film based shows are usually content driven and the appeal of that content can lose it's appeal. BTM or SM will always be physical or "evergreen". It remains to be seen now, as film blurs the lines with the real world via 3D. Will Avatar take us into a new era of 3D? I would say that "Spiderman" at Universal is so physical, so first person, and has blended those two worlds so seamlessly that it is IMHO a timeless attraction. I bet it's still in the top 5 at that park. "Soarin'" has had more staying power than most as well, but it's appeal is to fly is broad and aspirational. And today the hottest thread is about EO coming back, so content can come back in vogue I guess. So in the end, it's all in the execution and the platform you use the media in.

WDW1974

Again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZAFRWTGZ8&feature=related
The starbucks are taking over.
BTW. 74. I am not sure this is the right thread for Fitzgerald-bashing considering what happened when we brought up Tim Delaney's departure.

There's no bashing going on (I save most of that for behind the scenes).:xmas:

I just wondered what Eddie may have heard since Tony is one of the best WDI has ... and if he leaves, it will be a big hole to fill ... one that Tom has shown year after year he is incapable of filling.:xmas:

HMF

I just wondered what Eddie may have heard since Tony is one of the best WDI has ... and if he leaves, it will be a big hole to fill ... one that Tom has shown year after year he is incapable of filling.:xmas:
The threat of Tony leaving has me discouraged as well. He is one of the last Creative Executives who understands the legacy of the parks. As for Fitzgerald' Out of respect for Eddie I will end my statement here.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What do you think of the new Lincoln?

This week AA figures took a big step forward with the new head on Abe Lincoln at DL. Have not been to see it in person, but linked some video. Saw the head at WDI some time ago and it's very impressive. Big difference in expression. I personally like how they restored the ending music from the original show. I don't expect this to draw many guests, but it's something I will see again and again if it's like the original.

Miceage has a nice piece written on it with nifty pics and some video.

http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/da...nia-adventure-construction-d-street-more.html

Very pleased to see they credited some of the artists, like John DeCuir Sr. in the lobby. nice touches. Your thoughts?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie Sotto Exclusive! Fans only.

Here's something I want to share with you.

It's the Disneyland image file of the USC digital archive. Shot by the now defunct LA Examiner newspaper back in 1955. Nixon, Walt, opening of the Columbia, Mine Train, etc. Most if not all of these images have not to my knowledge ever been published since and they are really cool. Have fun and look for the tiny missing details in the images. did the Mark Twain have a spotlight yet? Notice the detailed pinstriping on the Mine Train. Scaffolding on the "Chicken of the Sea" Pirate Ship..

Enjoy these gems from the past!

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search/controller/simplesearch.htm?page=2&x=1261497858658

CaptainMichael

This week AA figures took a big step forward with the new head on Abe Lincoln at DL. Have not been to see it in person, but linked some video. Saw the head at WDI some time ago and it's very impressive. Big difference in expression. I personally like how they restored the ending music from the original show. I don't expect this to draw many guests, but it's something I will see again and again if it's like the original.

Miceage has a nice piece written on it with nifty pics and some video.

http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/da...nia-adventure-construction-d-street-more.html

Very pleased to see they credited some of the artists, like John DeCuir Sr. in the lobby. nice touches. Your thoughts?

Nice to see that some resorts are still dedicated to improving the "show" aspect of the parks, especially something as minor as the Lincoln show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom