Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Scar

We only posted a few songs, and yes, 12 hours is huge. I prefer 2 good hours!

Hmmm. The only underperforming film that qualifies on my watch was Fantasia 2000. We did a retail superstore concept in TDR (between the parks) based on the upcoming movie. We had a Sorcerer's Apprentice themed multimedia show and rising AA fountain, Donald's Ark, etc. All music driven retail scheme. A superstore got built, but with an abstract travel concept called "Bon Voyage", not "Fantasia". BV was insanely successful, so no worries there.

I didn't know you worked on Bon Voyage! I've read about how great that store is in trip reports. When I visit Tokyo in my life I will be sure to check it out :sohappy: it sounds incredible.

Eddie, speaking of Ariel's Adventure AA's, how do you think WDI will do with the "AA hair" that was proposed to make it more apparent that you're underwater. Any news on that? Think it will be an obstacle?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I didn't know you worked on Bon Voyage! I've read about how great that store is in trip reports. When I visit Tokyo in my life I will be sure to check it out :sohappy: it sounds incredible.

Eddie, speaking of Ariel's Adventure AA's, how do you think WDI will do with the "AA hair" that was proposed to make it more apparent that you're underwater. Any news on that? Think it will be an obstacle?

I know nothing about the AA hair. Sorry.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
In general, I'd prefer Disney to offer a premium product for a premium price. Disney to me ought to be top of the line. I can get my discounted fares and thrills much cheaper, much more close to home. So disney will never win in that market.

Discounts don't bring me to WDW, a childhood-imprinted love for WDW does. Whereas slipping standards are keeping me away.

I also left DRP with money burning in my pocket this summer. I wanted to spend, but couldn't find anything to spend it on. This was new to me. From previous vacations, I remembered always overspending. I always wanted it all. So this time I put myself on a budget. Then ended up not even managing to spend the half of it.

Now something is amiss when your customers - in my case, an outright fan - want to spend more, but can't find a way.

I am afraid I'll end up in the statistics as 'came for the discount, then underspend while there'. Which is not the case. My money was simply spend outside of Disney, or not spend at all.

Which brings me to the following. Slightly related, but not too off-topic for this thread: my entire experience of DRP. Unlike the previous time, this year I slept in the centre of Paris, ate my meals there, divided my time between the city and the park, and spend most my money in the city. Much as I adore DLR's castle park, the hotels, nighttime entertainment and food just don't do it for me. It's not a complete resort the way WDW is.

Might as well be more frank: entertainment outside the gate is rubbish. The second gate too is not an enticement, it is a disaster area. There's no great water park either, or indoor tropical paradise.
That sugarcandy hotel near the entrance is fantastic - if woefully misplaced too near the entrance - but the other hotels are rubbish. To me, they look like bland Euro 1980's social housing projects. Good food is difficult to find, both within and outside the parks. That goes for both junkfood and proper meals. I survived on those hotdogs they sell in a dozen places in the park.
Sad really. Such a nice park, and despite the common perception that the resort suffered financially because of too large investments in the hotels and everything outside of the gate, I think it is precisely in that area that the resort is let down.

We lived in Paris and it's a theme park in itself. You can't compete with the food and the sights by night. IT'S PARIS! La Belle Epoque! For some reason we overspend there but who cares? Just walking the streets all night is exciting. To me, staying in Paris and visiting DLP is the ultimate treat.

misterID

That's an interesting read and I agree with a lot of his points. I just don't think you can overstate what impact the recession is having. Also, if you up the price of everything, from parking to tickets to merchandise enough times, eventually it will come back to bite you. Especially when you're not constantly upgrading the park and giving people a reason to spend premium prices... On a consistent basis.

Once the economy gets better I really don't see an end to discounts. They'll be scaled back, I'm sure. Merch will go back up and the free dining will disappear, but I don't see them wanting to give up making a disney trip so affordably irresistible either to keep attendance high and keep people from going elsewhere. And I always felt, years ago, disney was great at giving people a premium experience and also an economical experience. You had two different classes of guests that kept coming back because they felt caterd to.

I really think the premium experiences is in the international parks now. Like you said, Paris is a theme park in itself. And those parks are far superior to the world and disneyland in the states and are worth taking the trips to. Also, all those Asian and European tourists who would flock to the world have their own disney park to go to now. Even better ones. Now when foreign tourists take trips to the states disney world isn't as important or as high on the list as it used to be.

_Scar

I know nothing about the AA hair. Sorry.

Aww, I was hoping you knew :(

Supposedly it's supposed to be very cool, but maybe the rumor about it isn't even true :shrug:

It has been said here that TLM ride would probably not be the super e-ticket we've been hearing about- why? I don't know- what is your feel of it by talking with some Imagineers and seeing the concept art? Think it's really an E or a major D?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Aww, I was hoping you knew :(

Supposedly it's supposed to be very cool, but maybe the rumor about it isn't even true :shrug:

It has been said here that TLM ride would probably not be the super e-ticket we've been hearing about- why? I don't know- what is your feel of it by talking with some Imagineers and seeing the concept art? Think it's really an E or a major D?

I don't possess any inside info, but I'd say by what I've seen in preview center videos and so forth it's looks to me more like a solid D or D+ than a "Super E" (or even normal "E"). Probably an "E" in comparison to other Fantasyland dark rides for sure. "Super E" is saying alot as we all define "E" subjectively, but let's hope for a great show.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
That's an interesting read and I agree with a lot of his points. I just don't think you can overstate what impact the recession is having. Also, if you up the price of everything, from parking to tickets to merchandise enough times, eventually it will come back to bite you. Especially when you're not constantly upgrading the park and giving people a reason to spend premium prices... On a consistent basis.

Once the economy gets better I really don't see an end to discounts. They'll be scaled back, I'm sure. Merch will go back up and the free dining will disappear, but I don't see them wanting to give up making a disney trip so affordably irresistible either to keep attendance high and keep people from going elsewhere. And I always felt, years ago, disney was great at giving people a premium experience and also an economical experience. You had two different classes of guests that kept coming back because they felt caterd to.

I really think the premium experiences is in the international parks now. Like you said, Paris is a theme park in itself. And those parks are far superior to the world and disneyland in the states and are worth taking the trips to. Also, all those Asian and European tourists who would flock to the world have their own disney park to go to now. Even better ones. Now when foreign tourists take trips to the states disney world isn't as important or as high on the list as it used to be.

Especially if you train people to expect them. Stores have made the concept of a sale a year round thing till it has little effect.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Roy Disney passes on.

As you know, Roy E. Disney passed away today. I had heard that that he was battling stomach cancer some time ago. I can't say I knew him well, but he always received me if I stopped into his offices in Burbank and made time to chat. Genuinely warm and nice fellow. In Hollywood that's rare for sure. A man who displayed a rare humility and a true sense of midwestern hospitality, Roy did so much in his own way to keep the Disney torch lit through takeover attempts. He brought in Eisner and saved his uncle's company and then rose again to try and oust him once he saw where things had led. Roy came from the business side of the family, his creativity came from protecting that end and making sure the business could grow.

I'm sure Walt would have been proud of his nephew as Roy stood up for the values of their family and Walt's legacy. What are your thoughts?

Expo_Seeker40

The fight will be tough to keep "Walt" in Walt Disney World. There is no "Disney Museum"/ Walt Disney Story on Main Street anymore, while One Man's Dream is a fitting film, it and it's exhibits are tucked away inside a soundstage at DHS with a very small marquee.

The parks are full of merchandise carts, and other things that cheapen and commercialize the upscale (and expensive) Disney experience.

Tomorrowland no longer has a true identity, future, sci-fi, etc.

Epcot's landscaping has become overgrown and seemingly untamed, except for certain high traffic areas and during the flower and garden festival.

The corporate branding has gotten out of control with "Disney's this and Disney's that" labeled all over the place.

There is still a twinkle, and some magic left in the Vacation Kingdom of the World, but it is bothersome to me how generic and corporate it has become across the board.

jt04

As you know, Roy E. Disney passed away today. I had heard that that he was battling stomach cancer some time ago. I can't say I knew him well, but he always received me if I stopped into his offices in Burbank and made time to chat. Genuinely warm and nice fellow. In Hollywood that's rare for sure. A man who displayed a rare humility and a true sense of midwestern hospitality, Roy did so much in his own way to keep the Disney torch lit through takeover attempts. He brought in Eisner and saved his uncle's company and then rose again to try and oust him once he saw where things had led. Roy came from the business side of the family, his creativity came from protecting that end and making sure the business could grow.

I'm sure Walt would have been proud of his nephew as Roy stood up for the values of their family and Walt's legacy. What are your thoughts?

I agree. He saved the company twice. He will be missed.

jt04

I am concerned about the future of the company.

I'm not so much. Of course I trust the Iger/Lasseter/Jobs team. (Check out the latest "Alice" trailer released today)

But there is also the blogging community now. If people are selective and not given to fights that can't be won, then the web can be an instrument for good. WDWMagic and other sites can be the watchdogs.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm not so much. Of course I trust the Iger/Lasseter/Jobs team. (Check out the latest "Alice" trailer released today)

But there is also the blogging community now. If people are selective and not given to fights that can't be won, then the web can be an instrument for good. WDWMagic and other sites can be the watchdogs.

If only they treated us like that....they did for DL.:eek:

_Scar

With Lasseter mainly, I think the company has at least one higher up that will fight for that going the extra mile TRUE Disney quality.

kcnole

The passing of Roy has me very sad. He was the last true Disney involved with the company. I know Walt always considered him "the idiot nephew" but he truly loved what his father and uncle had built and he was the one person left whom I knew always had the best interest of the company in mind and in heart. I'm afraid that the ones who are left now are primarily interested in the bottom line.

I truly hope that someone will pick up the banner that Roy so elegantly carried. I'm certain that Walt was eventually proud of his nephew. He may not have had the artistic flair that his uncle had, but he certainly had the passion. To me that's the most important part.

_Scar

The passing of Roy has me very sad. He was the last true Disney involved with the company. I know Walt always considered him "the idiot nephew" but he truly loved what his father and uncle had built and he was the one person left whom I knew always had the best interest of the company in mind and in heart. I'm afraid that the ones who are left now are primarily interested in the bottom line.

I truly hope that someone will pick up the banner that Roy so elegantly carried. I'm certain that Walt was eventually proud of his nephew. He may not have had the artistic flair that his uncle had, but he certainly had the passion. To me that's the most important part.

Really? Why?

PhilharMagician

Very sad! It is truely a depressing day to see a person who has done so much to protect the direction and image of both WDC and the Disney family. He has gone to battle twice to help realign the company during turbulent times at which he could have lost everything including his creadibility. The amazing part is he succeded both times and earned respect for the loyalty to both his uncle and fathers original directions for WDC.

I will have to go home and watch Fantasia 2000.

I am concerned about the future of the company.

I am confident in the current direction of the company, but what happens in another 5 years. WDC has this cyclical issue. About every 10 years it seems the company starts change direction away from it's roots and again struggles. Who will come forward now to grab the wheel and steer the ship back on course?:confused: Let's hope that someone out there will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom