Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I hope it lasts longer than the "ceramic" based paint used in the Nemo Sub ride. I rode the Nemo Subs recently and noticed that those stunning electric colors that used to permeate the undersea area looked a bit faded and dull. Maybe they are still bright but covered in a film or layers of calcium, not sure. Like my windshield, glass gets filthy!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
This is the Michael Colglaser I know. If you hop over to Micechat (after posting your thoughts here!) they show him in the park as a CM selling Popcorn. He is interested in what happens on the ground. This was not staged or a photo Op either, it's the way he rolls. He loves the product and likes to be around the guests. He wants to know what works and what does not. this picture of him haunted me for a while until I realized that he kind of reminds me of SNL Star Dana Carvey! "Isn't that special!". Yes! Keep up the good work "Col-man"!

http://micechat.com/21320-disneyland-construction-princesses/

images

ITP_-_070213-IMG_1779.jpg
Dana-Carvey-225198-1-402.jpg

Omnispace

This is the Michael Colglaser I know. If you hop over to Micechat (after posting your thoughts here!) they show him in the park as a CM selling Popcorn....

To be completely honest, I thought this was pretty cool when I saw it this morning. It would be great if he got around to several of the various jobs in the park like this -- especially Customer Service. To some it may seem kind of hokey getting into costume and learning more about some of the jobs but I see it as a good way to interact with the CM's -- a lot less formal than demonstrating the popcorn cart to the President of the park in his business suit. Hopefully he will have the pull in Burbank to keep the good things happening at Disneyland.

OneAdam12

Eddie, I am a loooooooong time reader of these boards and just entered the fray to start posting. Just wanted to drop a note and say thanks for the great reads over the past few years and thank you for your contributions that so many of us enjoy. I look forward to some future dialogue!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, I am a loooooooong time reader of these boards and just entered the fray to start posting. Just wanted to drop a note and say thanks for the great reads over the past few years and thank you for your contributions that so many of us enjoy. I look forward to some future dialogue!

10-4 Malloy, Units in the vicinity and One Adam 12...See the thread and post often, handle code 3.

Omnispace

THIS was the future.....

Thanks! It's pretty awesome to see film footage of this fair. I love the wild Japanese Meatbolist-influenced architecture. The scale of Kenzo Tange's theme pavilion is mind-blowing -- as are the hordes of visitors. I read this was a crowded fair but I never realized it was this bad. I think I would have preferred the sunny day with less people. Noguchi's fountains are pretty amazing. I think the waterways and the sun theme sculpture still remain in the park.

Pixiedustmaker

I hope it lasts longer than the "ceramic" based paint used in the Nemo Sub ride. I rode the Nemo Subs recently and noticed that those stunning electric colors that used to permeate the undersea area looked a bit faded and dull. Maybe they are still bright but covered in a film or layers of calcium, not sure. Like my windshield, glass gets filthy!

Yeah, rode Nemo about two months ago, and the plastic seaweed look pretty faded, as well as the paint on the rockwork.

Check out the video of robotic fish, maybe one day they could put one of these in Sub lagoon!

Or maybe even suspended from the ceiling on the "Under the Sea" scene on Mermaid so they could swim around/above the ride vehicles, like Tony Baxter said, guests still want to be astonished, and I'm one of them.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Yeah, rode Nemo about two months ago, and the plastic seaweed look pretty faded, as well as the paint on the rockwork.

Check out the video of robotic fish, maybe one day they could put one of these in Sub lagoon!

Or maybe even suspended from the ceiling on the "Under the Sea" scene on Mermaid so they could swim around/above the ride vehicles, like Tony Baxter said, guests still want to be astonished, and I'm one of them.

Those Robot fish are really interesting. I found myself watching them as i would a real fish. the key would be to get them to depart from that routine and do something really incredible, like a water ballet.

Pixiedustmaker

Those Robot fish are really interesting. I found myself watching them as i would a real fish. the key would be to get them to depart from that routine and do something really incredible, like a water ballet.

That would be pretty amazing, I bet they could do something like that with an LPS type system whereby a computer controls the movements of the fish. They'd probably need a couple of "schools" of robotic fish, ones to perform, and others to recharge their batteries, maybe wireless like the subs. They could even add an animatronic Nemo that swims pasts the portholes.

trs518

I know Walt wanted something to draw people in, but why put a medieval castle at the end of Main Street? Doesn't that break the theme?

Pixiedustmaker

I know Walt wanted something to draw people in, but why put a medieval castle at the end of Main Street? Doesn't that break the theme?

The hub used to have these large olive trees, which partially obscured the castle, hence making it more of a fantastical horizon, something just beyond Main Street, visible, but not part of it. The Magic Kingdom's castle is large and can be seen from many different lands. I think that in general, the castle is sort of an exception in the various parks as it is a symbol of the park and is photogenic enough that people don't mind seeing it all the time. There's something magical about seeing the castle at the end of Main Street, it sort of works like peanut butter and jelly do on the same sandwich, I would say because MS and the castle both have this very positive/optimistic vibe, despite being historically/geographically separated.

The castle is also the weenie, drawing guests beyond Main Street and promising something "magical" besides just nostalgic. Being on Main Street with the castle in view is like eating chateaubriand, while having a perfect view of the desert tray, satisfaction and anticipation.

Instead of BVS, I wonder what a juxtaposition between a Victorian English street, circa Marry Poppins, with horse drawn carriages and a naturalistic/wicked looking, yet beautiful, Maleficent castle would have looked like.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Rules. We impose many in discussions on theme design but at the heart of it all, they are usually broken. If we are thinking of "visual intrusions" (one theme invading another), then yes, the castle breaks the MSUSA 19th Century spell. In Walt's mind, the Castle was a distant goal that was inevitable as you have no choice advancing down the street. It is a payoff. Of course, you can also argue that Castles existed back then, but not in middle America. The trees and spacial nature of the Hub buffer this to a degree and become a land of thematic options when you arrive there. You pretty much have thematic choices at the hub or when looking back out of any "land". You see Tomorrowland for example, when looking back out of the Frontier Fort or from Adventureland. So in a way these icons, or "weenies" as Walt called them, are designed to draw you from one realm to another, but not be so powerful or obtrusive that they break the spell. I guess if I had to impose a rule of sorts, I'd say that once in a land you don't want those visual intrusions (other themed icons) above the rooftops to contradict the theme (Space Mountain peering over from Town Square), but the "weenie" is waiting at the exit to that land (Castle at the end of the Street) to take you into the next world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom