Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
On the subject of light bulbs, why not use LED fixtures in more of the decorative areas? Disney are using LEDs in show scenes, resorts, road lighting, and everywhere else, BUT the lights that outline buildings still seem to be the regular bulbs - which are failing frequently. Assuming LEDs deliver the reliability that they claim, and with the range of color temperatures available now, surely this would be the way to go. The Grand Floridian is a light bulb disaster currently. On Narcooses rooftop there are almost more bulbs out than on.

LED is promising but IMHO has a ways to go with temperature.

KevinYee

The Mad Hatter lights *are* LEDs; the whole roof was replaced just 3 months ago. I suspect manufacturing defects, or perhaps experimental LEDs.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
DLP Book is back!

Here on the thread we discuss Disneyland Paris and it's details quite frequently.

If you have not been to the park, or have and want to see lots of the original concept artwork and tons of pictures, I highly recommend Alain and Didier's great book, "Disneyland Paris, from Sketch to Reality" as a "must have" for your library. The stunning pictures were from the first year so the park is shown as it was designed, and that means a lot to me. Sadly, it had been out of print for some time, but they are going to make another small run of them so they are taking preorders. It is the only credible book on that park and because it took so many years to do, is a labor of love. Don't count on the parks ever going to that extent on their own. I remember them interviewing me back in 1992, WDI gave them full access! It's all there. The models, the art, the details. Here's the link to a preview of the book with a video of what's in it, and thanks to Alain And Didier for doing such a tremendous job on the book. All of the designers are grateful to them for capturing all of the park's nuances and it's evolution. It's with this gratitude that I gladly promote it.

If you already have the book and have any thoughts, let the others know right here on the thread.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/12/disneyland-paris-book-from-sketch-to.html

RandySavage

^ I own virtually every book of substance on the art of Imagineering, from "The Architecture of Reassurance" to the rare "Making of HKDL" to the wonderfully big "EPCOT Center" by Abrams.

But if I had to pick one of these to take with me to a desert island, it would be "DL Paris: Sketch to Reality" because it offers so many images showing the full process (art-->models-->built) for so much of the park & resort. I've only been to DL Paris one time, but this is the ultimate visual book for documenting the artistic beauty of the imagineering process.

How I wish there was a similar "Sketch to Reality" book for DisneySea...

DubyooDeeDubyoo

Just asking for a crystal ball guess as a fan based on your observation: Do you think the end is near for the Disneyland Monorail? I've liked the new bodies, though I know they come with challenges, however the beamway seems incredibly saggy and makes the ride as bouncy as they come (I hope this doesn't happen at WDW where the train serves a legitimate transportation purpose, but I have a feeling WDW's beam is stronger.)

It looks like it's passing through DCA will be thematic break with the area, so I'm kind of starting to wonder if they just plan to run the current hardware raw and then dismantle the whole thing. Still, it is holding up the resort's inflated hotel rates and possibly worth investing in for that?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
^ I own virtually every book of substance on the art of Imagineering, from "The Architecture of Reassurance" to the rare "Making of HKDL" to the wonderfully big "EPCOT Center" by Abrams.

But if I had to pick one of these to take with me to a desert island, it would be "DL Paris: Sketch to Reality" because it offers so many images showing the full process (art-->models-->built) for so much of the park & resort. I've only been to DL Paris one time, but this is the ultimate visual book for documenting the artistic beauty of the imagineering process.

How I wish there was a similar "Sketch to Reality" book for DisneySea...

I agree. This is the benchmark for every park book. They did have the advantage of being on the inside as it progressed.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Just asking for a crystal ball guess as a fan based on your observation: Do you think the end is near for the Disneyland Monorail? I've liked the new bodies, though I know they come with challenges, however the beamway seems incredibly saggy and makes the ride as bouncy as they come (I hope this doesn't happen at WDW where the train serves a legitimate transportation purpose, but I have a feeling WDW's beam is stronger.)

It looks like it's passing through DCA will be thematic break with the area, so I'm kind of starting to wonder if they just plan to run the current hardware raw and then dismantle the whole thing. Still, it is holding up the resort's inflated hotel rates and possibly worth investing in for that?

I doubt it. It's such a classic icon of the park and is a amenity to the hotel, as you point out. I think they would invest to keep it, hopefully expand it. The beams are old in places so that's another story and the trains are a debacle in of themselves. Functionally they are not that efficient at DL or at least they are not always operated to be so. There is something to be said for kinetics though, and the Monorails add that energy to the whole area that it badly needs.

How important is the monorail as an icon to you? Thoughts?

EPCOTCenterLover

I never understood (other than expense) why they did not plan in stops at the Grand Californian and a new one at the DL Hotel when having the monorail down for the construction of DCA.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What is design?

One of my favorite designers, Charles Eames did an interview answering the question "What is design?"

Since we discuss design so often here, I thought you'd enjoying reading his insights. Imagineers sometimes get personally credited for "designing" things, when if fact even beyond team collaboration, others have gone before us that we build or borrow from. The process of learning to build on and borrow is part of the fun of design. Rearranging what has been and or reusing something from nature in a new way. Inspiration is seeing something in a new way. After all, we were born into a piece of incredible design we have yet to fully explore and even understand.

Sample Eames question.

Is design a creation of an individual?
"No— because to be realistic one must always admit the influence of those who have gone before."

I'm flattered to accept praise when someone likes a project I was involved in or was responsible for, but we all know that the project only got built atop the backs of the projects, people and parks before it, on the legacies created by other Imagineers who were inspired by history, Walt himself, and the stories he found, loved and built on. We gather like glaciers.

Here's the interview in full. Enjoy!
http://www.scielo.cl/pdf/arq/n49/art11.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Eames-Design-John-Neuhart/dp/0810908794

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
"It's too Expensive"

A great candid photo of Walt Disney explained by the man in the image next to him. Imagine working on a project and the boss tells you it may be shut down. There were desperate times. Mike Barrier writes an interesting piece he poses the question "Should Animation have been shut down years go?" Well written and got me thinking.

http://www.michaelbarrier.com/

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Here's a brief a story from the son of the great Hollywood Production Designer, John DeCuir Sr., someone I admired greatly.
http://www.cinematix.us/decuirbio.htm
He worked on EPCOT as well as designing Epic films. His artist son tells us how his father developed the skill to be both right and left brain.

"I tell my students that there is a line that links the hand to the logical side of the brain (depending I suppose if you are right- or left-handed.) And this logical side of the brain simply does not have the skill to direct the hand in such an abstract intuitive enterprise. All its logic and all its measurable exactitude seem useless and it must embarrassingly humble itself before the abstract side of our brain that houses our skills in creative intuition.

My father used to tell a wonderful story that while he was being forced to be a concert violinist by my grandfather he would wake early and begin to draw. Then when it was time to practice the violin, off he would go to the near soundproof bathroom where he would put in his two to three hours of practice. But what grandpa didn't know was that in that bathroom, with neither pencil nor paper, he was finishing that drawing in his mind. This he did for 19 years. After touring as a concert violinist for a few years, he abandoned the fiddle for his pencil. The result was a near genius-like ability to create a drawing in his head and then somewhat nonchalantly trace on paper what he had already drawn in great detail in his head.

I could go on with stories that would boggle the mind about this right brain / left brain interface.

I tell my students the only place they are allowed to be found without their sketchbook is the shower…

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Excited.

Futurist Syd Mead is opening his traveling Art Exposition this evening in Glendale. I have been inspired by his futuristic artwork for years but never experienced it in person, just in books. I met Syd some years ago as someone told me that he said in an interview that his favorite Restaurant was the Encounter at LAX! Wow! I think you will enjoy browsing his images on his site as he styled many films such as Bladerunner, 2001, and drove lots of automotive design in the 60's as well. Syd is the MAN. When you see his work and how long ago it was done, you will sense how powerful and influential it has been.

Here's his site and it has info on the traveling show. He has a new book out too.

http://sydmead.com/v/11/

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Sketch.

This is the sketch drawn from memory mentioned in the John DeCuir story. It is the set for the movie "Hello Dolly!".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-25 at 6.05.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-01-25 at 6.05.35 PM.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 45

RandySavage

Futurist Syd Mead is opening his traveling Art Exposition this evening in Glendale. I have been inspired by his futuristic artwork for years but never experienced it in person, just in books.

http://sydmead.com/v/11/

I saw this Syd Mead sketch for Bladerunner and, as a NYC architectural history buff, it immediately reminded me of Hugh Ferriss' legendary renderings of the 1920s. It goes to yours and Eames' point about the influence of previous artists/designers.

Syd_Mead_And_Ridley_Scott_Out_Print_Blade_Runner_Sketchbook_Now_Online_1325364917.jpg

1039.jpg

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Hugh Ferris

So true, a generation apart. Good call! Hugh Ferris was a master and really knew how to pull drama out of a building. A great nourish sense about him. the NYWF stuff is pretty amazing.

The Syd Mead "Progressions" show was incredible, a must if you live in the area. A favorite image of mine. Mead always has some thought or story buried in his work. So good.

Attachments

• syd_mead_shipwreck.jpg
    syd_mead_shipwreck.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 45

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Here on the thread we discuss Disneyland Paris and it's details quite frequently.

If you have not been to the park, or have and want to see lots of the original concept artwork and tons of pictures, I highly recommend Alain and Didier's great book, "Disneyland Paris, from Sketch to Reality" as a "must have" for your library. The stunning pictures were from the first year so the park is shown as it was designed, and that means a lot to me. Sadly, it had been out of print for some time, but they are going to make another small run of them so they are taking preorders. It is the only credible book on that park and because it took so many years to do, is a labor of love. Don't count on the parks ever going to that extent on their own. I remember them interviewing me back in 1992, WDI gave them full access! It's all there. The models, the art, the details. Here's the link to a preview of the book with a video of what's in it, and thanks to Alain And Didier for doing such a tremendous job on the book. All of the designers are grateful to them for capturing all of the park's nuances and it's evolution. It's with this gratitude that I gladly promote it.

If you already have the book and have any thoughts, let the others know right here on the thread.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/12/disneyland-paris-book-from-sketch-to.html

I just pre-ordered my copy last week! I was really kicking myself for not getting this book when it was originally available. There was no way I was going to let it pass me by this time. I really can't wait to check it out.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I just pre-ordered my copy last week! I was really kicking myself for not getting this book when it was originally available. There was no way I was going to let it pass me by this time. I really can't wait to check it out.

Not to mention the huge prices they were asking for the old edition on Amazon.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Not to mention the huge prices they were asking for the old edition on Amazon.

Exactly. I really wanted the book, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay those prices.

I wish Disney would put out their own books that detailed for each park, or even just each resort. The Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real book is nice, but it's still doesn't seem like it goes as deep as the DLP book. Maybe they'll do something like that with Shanghai, but I doubt it.

What I think would be really cool is if they made a film documenting the whole process for Shanghai. You could make it very detailed and elaborate by splitting it up into three parts/DVDs: the blue sky/design process, building, and operating the finished park/resort. It would be similar to the DLP Space Mountain: Shoot for the Moon documentary that you were in, but more massive as it would focus on an entire park/resort. It would probably be a great marketing tool if they were to air something like that as a three part series on the Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc. after the resort opens.

OR, you could do something similar to NFL Hard Knocks on HBO and make it a weekly series documentary, making it more dramatic and showcasing challenges throughout the series. I'm probably going way over the top now though :ROFLOL:

Either way, I just think it would be great to be able to watch the whole process unfold for something of that magnitude, including meetings, model building, opening, etc.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Exactly. I really wanted the book, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay those prices.

I wish Disney would put out their own books that detailed for each park, or even just each resort. The Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real book is nice, but it's still doesn't seem like it goes as deep as the DLP book. Maybe they'll do something like that with Shanghai, but I doubt it.

What I think would be really cool is if they made a film documenting the whole process for Shanghai. You could make it very detailed and elaborate by splitting it up into three parts/DVDs: the blue sky/design process, building, and operating the finished park/resort. It would be similar to the DLP Space Mountain: Shoot for the Moon documentary that you were in, but more massive as it would focus on an entire park/resort. It would probably be a great marketing tool if they were to air something like that as a three part series on the Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc. after the resort opens.

OR, you could do something similar to NFL Hard Knocks on HBO and make it a weekly series documentary, making it more dramatic and showcasing challenges throughout the series. I'm probably going way over the top now though :ROFLOL:

Either way, I just think it would be great to be able to watch the whole process unfold for something of that magnitude, including meetings, model building, opening, etc.

All good ideas. A reality show is probably in the works as there's plenty of drama inside of WDI! I would watch it!

Figment82

Thank you so much for the heads up - I just pre-ordered a copy for myself. I was a little hesitant, but I've heard so many excellent things about this book, that I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I visited DLP just for a day back in 2000 and would dearly love to get back there at some point. Absolutely gorgeous!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom