Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Cosmic Commando

Why on Earth did they not put it in Tomorrowland? A futuristic STARbucks? Can you imagine how cool that would be? A Coffee House of the future where tired Starship captains and Aliens hang out? Heck, put it next to the Sub ride with the Mermaid logo if you want.
I was hoping that the Future World Starbucks would be like this, without the aliens. It is/was an interesting opportunity to push the Starbucks brand into the future a little bit. You already pretty much knew what the Market House, MK, DHS and DAK locations were going to look like as soon as they announced them... Epcot is/was the wild card.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Reads this having a Starbucks Via.

On Twitter we were having a fun discussion about a great "what if" kickstarter project. I tweeted that Disney should buy the Space Needle and move it to WDW. EpcotExplorer, ProgessCity, and others chimed in about adding other fair icons they like and before you know it we hatched the "CollExpo", a "collection" or recreations of the best Expos and World's Fairs in history, all in one place. Imagine the Eiffel Tower,the Atomium, Space Needle, Unisphere, Expo 70, Crystal Palace, Highways and Horizons, and Trylon and Perisphere all in one park? Add Lincoln 1.0, COP 1.0 and Ford's Magic Skyway along with many other great exhibits from the past (Eames IBM) fairs and a parachute drop midway, ( "White City" Chicago as a Main Street of sorts) and we decided we'd show up for that. What about you? Annual Passes anyone?

ChevisMickey

On Twitter we were having a fun discussion about a great "what if" kickstarter project. I tweeted that Disney should buy the Space Needle and move it to WDW. EpcotExplorer, ProgessCity, and others chimed in about adding other fair icons they like and before you know it we hatched the "CollExpo", a "collection" or recreations of the best Expos and World's Fairs in history, all in one place. Imagine the Eiffel Tower,the Atomium, Space Needle, Unisphere, Expo 70, Crystal Palace, Highways and Horizons, and Trylon and Perisphere all in one park? Add Lincoln 1.0, COP 1.0 and Ford's Magic Skyway along with many other great exhibits from the past (Eames IBM) fairs and a parachute drop midway, ( "White City" Chicago as a Main Street of sorts) and we decided we'd show up for that. What about you? Annual Passes anyone?

After reading Devil in the White City I wanted to have Epcot be more like a World's Fair! I even researched the event, which still takes place, however it seems so disorganized these days, and not as much of a spectacle.
Every few years at Disney a new 'attraction' could be built to great fanfare. Just imagine some of the new and innovative architecture that would come out of it! Heck, Disney should even do something like this throughout all of their parks to give us a great piece of architecture that they can use as a centerpiece, or even a new queue for rides they develop.

Ok, back to reality.:arghh:

lazyboy97o

I think something might be lost by taking each of these icons out of their context.

It might be a better persistent digital "world's fair" experience. Everfair.
Have you seen the New York Public Library's 1964-65 New York World's Fair iPad app?

michmousefan

Reminds me of a temporary exhibit at Henry Ford Museum on world's fairs of the 1930's:

http://www.thehenryford.org/events/worldsFairs.aspx

Great exhibit, even has the actual Electro robot from the 1939 NY fair.

I suppose I should be an official endorser for The Henry Ford! Sadly the exhibit ends on Monday; it's making way for -- of all things -- a special Avatar exhibit. I think that opens in October.

MickeyPeace

Have you seen the New York Public Library's 1964-65 New York World's Fair iPad app?
Thanks for this info! I downloaded the app. I'm fortunate enough to live within blocks of the New York Public Library and my neighbor works there so I can go more in depth in searching for info. I also visited the site a couple months ago and plan on going back soon. Fascinating to visit and sad to see the neglect on site.

The Empress Lilly

I love World's Fairs. If I had a time machine, the Paris 1900 Exposition would be one of my first choices. (After going back to this great date in 2004 but this time not telling her too soon that I wan....wait, wrong forum)
http://danperry.livejournal.com/38584.html

I think something might be lost by taking each of these icons out of their context.
I do agree much is lost by moving these icons ex situ. But in situ they are just about as much stripped out of context. Most commonly, just one large monument in an otherwise green and leafy but empty park.

Harrr! I managed to squeeze in 'ex and in situ' to sound all learned and sophisticated!!!
* puts tv back on for WWE match *

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Sounds great...but i just bought a AP for this Park instead:

It is a rather fun place to visit..!
:happy:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I am not sure Tony would be happy with being associated with Tomorrowland so prominently.
Probably true, but good or bad, it was his project. We all have projects that are not our best and they are also products of the times. Money was an extreme issue at that time as it was in 1955. Walt was probably not that thrilled to be connected with the original Tomorrowland either, it has been a tricky land to deal with.

Goofyernmost

Probably true, but good or bad, it was his project. We all have projects that are not our best and they are also products of the times. Money was an extreme issue at that time as it was in 1955. Walt was probably not that thrilled to be connected with the original Tomorrowland either, it has been a tricky land to deal with.
Which completely explains why Disney has been slowly pulling away from anything that attempts to predict the future in any way other then aliens that are more under the heading of Sci. Fi. At least until it is proven that they actually exist, then they got a problem.

Cosmic Commando

I love World's Fairs. If I had a time machine, the Paris 1900 Exposition would be one of my first choices.
A little birdie told me that one was great:

Timekeeper+(1995).jpg

MOXOMUMD

Which completely explains why Disney has been slowly pulling away from anything that attempts to predict the future in any way other then aliens that are more under the heading of Sci. Fi. At least until it is proven that they actually exist, then they got a problem.
:cyclops:

RSoxNo1

I guess my larger point in the article could have been underlined differently (more effectively); I was trying to say that Disney is the industry leader and the 800 pound gorilla for a reason, and it is entirely possible that they can blow us away with these projects still.

Put another way: I'm as much against knee-jerk dislike of announced Disney projects as I am against knee-jerk praise of announced Disney projects.

In the past, Disney has wowed us (AMAZINGLY so). In the past, Disney has also underwhelmed us. Is it possible avatar, Carsland, and Star Wars land will underwhelm? Sure it is. But it's also possible they will overwhelm. Corporate is starting to sense the shift to Universal in fan momentum (and in dollars spent by overseas tourists) and if it makes them panic, so much the better.

The customer, as always, will win in any theme park war.
I'm more impressed with the 0 minute wait at Transformers.

On page 23 when avatar was first annouced the following was posted (I'm catching up),

Eddie, from your perspective, was this announcement too early in development? According to Staggs they've "Just started the blue sky process", which seems to me an pretty awkward time to publicly green-light something. What kind of extra pressure does that place on a design team, as opposed to making a formal announcement just before construction begins or even during construction? As a creator, when would you prefer to announce something, given no outside pressures?

I was flipping through Michael Crichton's "Jurassic Park" the other day, and was struck by the character John Hammond's joy at his plans to 'surprise' the world with a ready-to-go experience, already built and tested. Of course, it wasn't ment to be, but I imagine the public would have been equally delighted.

It would have been nice to be able to walk into Pandora today, or at least next summer. I know the logistics are daunting, but can Imagineering have product releases more like Apple? A couple of vague rumors and unconfirmed reports, and then all of a sudden the product's available, or soon to be?

All business and tour planner logic aside, I really like the idea if Disney would annouce things more Apple or John Hammond style. In today's world, social media can be utilized to advertise a movie bigger and better than tradtional ways. Take the recent Disney Optimist game for Tomorrowland or more so, anyone remember those youtube videos of that girl that ended up being a big advertisement for a horror movie? I don't remember the movie at all, but I remember those ads.

With D23 recently passing (may be spoilers here?), imagine instead of introducing the Crate that hinted at Star War goodies to come at the D23 expo (limited exposure) and instead, just dropping it off in the middle of DHS where thousands could see it. And like a lot of people, I am pretty lacklustered over Avatar as a movie and more so as a theme park addition but if I came to AK and saw floating, glow in the dark plants appear overnight (as hinted at the D23 expo), and was introduced to Avatar that way, I would be much more excited about it in the first place. News article "Mysterious floating glowing plants pop up at Disney AK...What could Disney be up to..."

One last example, what if we didn't know what theme the new rollercoaster at the MK was. We would be looking through the fence everyday looking for hints for what it could be and having a daily buzz about it...instead of the "Eh, is it even a D-ticket ride?" I'm not saying announce new rides at the last possible second...but introduce things in an exciting way inside the parks might be a better route. Everybody loves a good Mystery. Agatha Christie outsold the Bible pretty much her whole life. I wonder how many people today are still saying "Andy's Coming" to Buzz and Woody at the theme parks thinking they'll faint because of social media.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom