Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
With that way of looking at the Matterhorn, perhaps they should move it back to Tomorrowland. I hadn't thought about it as a prototype "Montana future", (Matterhorn future?). In a way the Peoplemover and Monorail tracks through the Autopia trees somewhat represent that as well -- that is if you can ignore the clouds of exhaust fumes from the cars -- and the subs represent a coexistence with the oceans. It's definitely a more believable application of that concept than cabbages planted in flower beds.

It never occurred to me till we started discussing it.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Don't forget how awesome Swiss chocolate is! Disney could get Lindt to sponsor the Matterhorn. Everyone gets a free piece of chocolate when they exit. :) Lindt could have a little shop that sells cool stuff like chocolate Matterhorns. Ghiradelli just opened their shop in DCA and they are owned by Lindt so perhaps this can become a reality. Of course if it was up to me I would bring back the Motorboat Cruise and have it run on chocolate rivers.

Nestle has been a sponsor for years, you'd think they'd want to jump on that. They are Swiss.

Californian Elitist

ME? Stay out of that Dodger parking lot!

I know it's a madhouse! But there's nowhere else to park. We're leaving our house early though, and we're not taking the 110, just gonna take Sunset. Hopefully we can get a good spot. It wasn't too bad the last time I went.

The Expo will probably be worse than Dodger Stadium. Good luck!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Saturday is sold out, so today is my only option. Tony is getting knighted with his "legend" award Saturday as well, so support that if you can. He joins the best lineup ever. Well deserved and I'm sure it will be memorable. "Sir Tony" from now on?

If any of you see me there, come up and say hello! I'll be the only one not wearing any Disney stuff, should be conspicuous. I'm sure WDI will not disappoint. Seeing old friends is always fun and cheering them on.

BTW- They recreated the cheesy "oil running down the fishing line" spiral sculpture from the Adventure thru Inner Space. Miracles from Molecules!

Last edited:

BlueSkyDriveBy

BTW- They recreated the cheesy "oil running down the fishing line" spiral sculpture from the Adventure thru Inner Space. Miracles from Molecules!
I wonder if it will last the entire Expo before imploding? :p

I worked graveyard in TL merch during the seventies. The blue shirts were always working on that sculpt at the ATIS exit. It regularly clogged with dirt and dust particles from the air, since it was right next to the omnimover vehicles passing by. I can remember how noisy the oil pump was, when the theme song wasn't playing over the speakers. Not exactly a well-conceived thematic element.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I wonder if it will last the entire Expo before imploding? :p

I worked graveyard in TL merch during the seventies. The blue shirts were always working on that sculpt at the ATIS exit. It regularly clogged with dirt and dust particles from the air, since it was right next to the omnimover vehicles passing by. I can remember how noisy the oil pump was, when the theme song wasn't playing over the speakers. Not exactly a well-conceived thematic element.

The ones they sold in the black light room at Spencer Gifts in the Brea Mall weren't much better. LOVE that story. Keep em coming. Care to share any CM memories from the '67 Tomorrowland?

Omnispace

Back before they were relegated to the back of Spencer's, those type of oil-drip lights were considered to be tasteful decor for one's house -- as evidenced by the "Venus de Milo" statue gracing the middle of them. They were sold in the lighting departments of all the respectable stores such as Sears and Montgomery Ward, and even K-Mart. I think they were intentionally marketed by the clothes detergent companies since no child could resist touching one.

I always liked the shape of the sculpture at ATIS but wasn't as fond of the mannequins inside it -- thought it was a bit weird. I honestly never remember it having the oil drips though. Perhaps I simply took it for granted at the time, or I might have been anticipating the moment the safety bar would automatically open.

More stories would be great! :)

Last edited:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
At one point in the ride's history, I think they turned the oil off and just had the strands. They did not use oil in the D23 version. It was more of a lit fiber effect. D23 was a nice show but not as extensive as the one two years ago. WDI exhibit was very nice, especially considering they could not announce anything new. That buzzkill of no big TP&R announcements has an overall effect for sure. No Archive store either, but 3 others to wait in line for depending on your desire to buy stuff.

The WDI pre-show opener was really well done and I won't spoil that. Sort of an "open house" theme with each department showcasing their work. There were rare and early models of the never built Space Pavilions, Tony's Land Pavilion and an early Spaceship Earth. Western River Expedition had a model scene to show too. An Art display of the famous overviews of Disneyland by Ryman and Ellenshaw. Very nice. Saw lots of old friends. The Archive was doing Mary Poppin's 50th with some hero props and also Oz. The highlight for me of D23 was Tony being told by Tom Staggs during his talk that he will get his own window at Disneyland. He showed and discussed early Disneyland and the Imagination pavilion. Well deserved honor and fitting for a "Legend". He'll get that today, which I believe is sold out.

Last edited:

Omnispace

Speaking of Rides that "almost were", here's an interesting article for you Monorail fans...
http://www.disneyhistoryinstitute.com/2012/03/disneyland-monorail-that-almost-was.html

That reminds me a bit of the Miami Seaquarium Monorail -- they definitely could have used help from Bob Gurr on the styling though it has some endearing qualities. The ALWEG monorail was definitely the way to go for Disney since he wanted to build them for cities.

_c671264.jpg

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Disney should be creating a Tomorrowland and EPCOT advisory board to embrace new things. As we discuss the Monorail, enter the future..the "Hyperloop"..premiering it's plans Tomorrow! Walt would have been shown this already and would mock it up at Disneyland or at WDW between the Airport and the property. Go Elon Musk..make California cool again.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...el-system-faster-than-the-speed-of-sound.html

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

Perhaps Elon and EPCOT should talk... Hell, Tesla Test Track or even Universe of Energy and SpaceX Mission to Space would fit a lot better than GM, Nestlé, etc.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Perhaps Elon and EPCOT should talk... Hell, Tesla Test Track or even Universe of Energy and SpaceX Mission to Space would fit a lot better than GM, Nestlé, etc.

I know Mr. Sotto had already suggested having Virgin Galactic be headquartered in WDW instead of out west, but that would have been for the forward-thinking Disney company to pursue such a thing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom