Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I was not aware of his project. I'm aware of him being a political lightning rod in some circles and politics is not something that I get involved in. Skimming headlines on Google, it looks interesting and he seems to be compared to Disney in his goals for the project. I will take a closer look at his proposals and it might be fun to discuss his project and it's similarity to Progress City. We can keep the discussion comparative and objective (I hope). I think Walt's vision would have eventually been politicized at some point as it was equally radical, so I think politics comes into play as Cities are a form of local government. The notion of Disney's "City" or EPCOT being a timeshare "city" plan or resort. That sidesteps this land mine and I prefer that approach to a real urban city.

jt04

I was not aware of his project. I'm aware of him being a political lightning rod in some circles and politics is not something that I get involved in. Skimming headlines on Google, it looks interesting and he seems to be compared to Disney in his goals for the project. I will take a closer look at his proposals and it might be fun to discuss his project and it's similarity to Progress City. We can keep the discussion comparative and objective (I hope). I think Walt's vision would have eventually been politicized at some point as it was equally radical, so I think politics comes into play as Cities are a form of local government. The notion of Disney's "City" or EPCOT being a timeshare "city" plan or resort. That sidesteps this land mine and I prefer that approach to a real urban city.

He mentioned talking with Imagineers though I am not sure if he meant current or former Imagineers. He also is consulting with the Jim Henson people. The park is estimated at 2 billion dollars. So we are not talking about a pipe dream here. He has connections that will stun people as many will soon see. It just seems a natural fit that you would be at least a consultant on this. I can't believe he is not aware of your work. (I realize you may not be able to respond to this)

Anyway, my favorite aspect is what he calls his "baby". At the core of the project will be a museum and research center that preserves and documents the founding of the country. It wil be used as an education center and create a foundation for helping people understand the fundamentals of what created American exceptionalism. They rest of the complex will then expand from those roots. This in one thing Walt's Epcot may have lacked.

jt04

I have had clients from time to time that want to build the real EPCOT. They have crashed and burned under the weight of their own vision. I worked briefly on this project, Destiny USA. It ended up as a mall and a theme park, yet science oriented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_USA
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/destiny_usas_wonderworks_attra.html

I am fairly certain he has already lined up investors. Part of restoring historical artifacts will fall under a charity and he suggested if people want to directly support the effort that is a good way. But it is not like they are raising funds through selling future timeshares or anything. This appears to be funded through interested investors and revenue generated directly from Beck. It also includes a full movie studio. I guess I was wrong about where it will go though as it seems they are still finding a site. But this would rival many tourist destinations no matter where it goes.

Glad you find the subject interesting.

BlueSkyDriveBy

WOW! Cosmic connections! You did the tour too? Do you recall the "Batman" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" stuff? I think it was a Sunday so they were not doing much when we were there, but the Dolly Street was being prepped for the next day. Adding the wet look to the fountains, etc.
I don't remember which day it was, only that it was on the weekend. Someone at our church arranged for a group tour. We got to walk down the Dolly Street and see the train station, and the park with the fountain. No one was around doing prep work, except on the Harmonia Gardens set. I guess that's how we got to see it, because the sound stage doors were open.

Oddly enough, other than the Dolly sets, I mostly remember the entry area/first floor for the Von Trapp Family mansion set. I couldn't get over how small it actually was in person. Seems so much bigger in the film. And we also got to see one of the Planet of the Apes interior sets, which was filmed the year before. Much of the film was done out at the Fox Ranch, two years before M*A*S*H was filmed there.

DLP was my shot at literally doing that set.Tony and I totally wanted to take the design in that direction. I think we got there graphically as the whole Main Street Motors area plays off of the street corner in Dolly with the signage (Pourous Plaster) and tall buildings behind the wedge shaped single story building (Vanek).
You definitely pulled it off.

The day we were there we were not allowed into the Harmonia Gardens. I would have remembered that set. We met in Century Plaza Mall first and there was a model of the "Seaview" Submarine in the tour office there. I was already wowed by that point and we had not even departed. We saw what was left of the Western Street, a Prison Block, A Waterfront with a Ship, the NY urban "Batman" Street, New England "Peyton Place", and then the Dolly Street as the finale.
I remember the submarine model, just not any sets. I thought that's what you meant. And we did walk down the Gotham City street, but for some reason, it didn't make an impression on me, even though I loved the show as a kid. I don't remember the western street or the prison block. I do remember the New England location, but I didn't tie it to Peyton Place because I didn't watch the show. And for some reason, we saw the Dolly Street earlier in the tour, and saw Harmonia Gardens last. Not sure why we didn't finish with the street, unless the Harmonia Gardens set was a serendipitous event that the tour guide wasn't planning on.

If you have the Dolly DVD, there is a "making of" the parade sequence featurette I was watching not 5 minutes ago and it has the drill team and so much of what I recall that day on that magical tour. Maybe she is in it.
I seem to recall that she was towards the back of the group. I guess I should rent the DVD and look for her in the "making of" short. I know she isn't easily spotted in the actual film.

I freeze frame it so many times it's not funny as that design of that film is the benchmark for everything we did on Main Street. Peter Kelly was a set designer on Dolly and he was on our staff, he gave me the blueprints of Harmonia Gardens!
Whoa!

I dragged the lake for every old school movie set designer that could bring that cinematic look to Main Street. It had to have the depth of the Fox look! I recall you doing things for technicolor especially with the costumes. You want them to stand out from the sets. They told stories of birds trying to land on faux painted window sills and they would fall off the NYC flats. De Cuir and others had this special color palette that Fox used and I'm still trying to acquire it from and old Art Director friend. It's grayed and restrained as a background like Disney. Look at the soft wall colors in the Hat Shop and the Feed store. Totally tasteful. The rugs and costumes,flowers and accents stand out.
That's what I remember about the Harmonia Gardens set. The flowers were so bright, almost reaching retinal burn status. I never really thought about the costumes and accents standing out against the background, but it's true.

I can't honestly say I "worked" with DeCuir on projects, but spied on him and hung in his office and bugged him. He thought big and drew everything bigger. i stopped in and saw he had drawn a massive ten story Xmas Star in the middle of Hollywood and Highland Avenue for a project we were proposing at Landmark entertainment. It looked like the 50's spiked star on the Matterhorn, but insanely huge like a building with a traffic circle."Anyone can do something small" he said and drew this thing on an epic scale as he was an epic guy. That stayed with me. My first week at WED, I did the same thing and enlarged a small sketch to be close to ten feet in length then detailed it. Everyone was wowed because it took two people to bring in this big spacecraft rendering. An idea seems bigger when it is presented on a massive scale. He was right.
You're lucky to have had access to DeCuir. Even though you didn't get much face time with him, he sounds like one of the more influential mentors in your career.

The DW Griffith (His Hero)silent epic "Intolerance" set ripoff at "Hollywood and Highland" (Mall in Hollywood) was originally his idea as a mega set shopping complex, and when it did not happen, I proposed it again as an homage, and eventually it ended up being executed on a shoestring by others on that very spot. Sorry John, I tried.
I didn't know you were connected to that project, Eddie, even if the Intolerance set was just a suggestion.

The depth and breadth of your professional experience never ceases to amaze me.
:)

jt04

im just wondering...who is eddie sotto?

For starters, he is a former Imagineer who was heavily involved in designing Disneyland Paris. Especially Main Street. Also, TDL etc. Now he has his own design company and restaurant. I am sure that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Jeanine

I think of Hello Dolly whenever I visit MK's Main Street and they play Hello Dolly! music on the loop. As opposed to Disneyland, MK's Main Street really feels like somebody is going to break out into song at any moment.

I actually always thought the same kind of thing about DL's Main St., although I don't like the new musical loop as much as the old (might be just nostalgia.) The old one really seemed as though it was from the movies, while the new instrumental versions make it seem a little more like Muzak.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
You're lucky to have had access to DeCuir. Even though you didn't get much face time with him, he sounds like one of the more influential mentors in your career
:)

DeCuir's hero was DW Griffith and in his sketch for Hollywood and Highland he had a statue of him in front of the Intolerance set (never fly today, that's for sure). He admired how Griffith as an Epic producer who thought really big. John also knew and could draw in the lens distortion into his art. He knew the technical side very well and probably wanted to direct. A story he told me dealt with his ability to imagine and draw out of his minds eye. He would begin a massive rendering on a single 8.5 by 11 sheet and then, like a mosaic, continue the rendering in perspective on more sheets like a puzzle until it was wall size. Then he'd have it faxed and numbered for reconstruction in Japan or wherever the client was. He could visualize that well and hold the look over many puzzle pieces.

I love your description and memory of that day, THANK YOU, and I feel like we were there on a weekend as well. Not much going on. My main memory of the Western set, is that we had to wait in a facade that was kind of a departure point to begin the tour. The Gotham Street was short and had 4 big lower portions of Greek Columns , like a bank building. I think we saw the "Kissin' Cousins" brick graphic wall where the Green Hornet car came out, can't be sure. The stage we walked through did not have the Sub set for VTTBOTS, but the computers were there on the empty stage. Planet of the Apes...hmm. Maybe we saw something from that, but cannot recall. There were closed stages they apologized for that we could not go into. Rats. Rent the DVD, you'll love the featurette.

nc_disneyfreak

I used to be an Imagineer (1986 to 1999) and thought it would be fun to give fans access to someone who had been on the inside and discuss how things get done. Welcome.
thanks for the reply...i grew up in southern california so my brothers and i spent a great deal of time at disneyland. i was 14 when indiana jones opened in 1995 and it gave us alot of great memories. so thank you so much for all you did!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
thanks for the reply...i grew up in southern california so my brothers and i spent a great deal of time at disneyland. i was 14 when indiana jones opened in 1995 and it gave us alot of great memories. so thank you so much for all you did!

Indiana Jones and all those great attractions are team efforts and many people worked harder and longer than I did. Most of my effort on the show was in the pre planning. It was great to be involved in the making of those projects.

nc_disneyfreak

Indiana Jones and all those great attractions are team efforts and many people worked harder and longer than I did. Most of my effort on the show was in the pre planning. It was great to be involved in the making of those projects.
no doubt there were several people involved! i can only imagine. i would of loved to be a fly on the wall in those planning sessions lol...it boggles my mind how every aspect, small and large, in all the disney parks and everything in them comes to fruition. i would love to be a part of imagineering...

Captain Neo

Indiana Jones is still the last great ride that came out for the American Disney parks. Although I am told Radiator Springs Racers may top it. Haven't been on it yet.

Pixiedustmaker

I was asked to explain a little bit about a proposal was made many years ago regarding reinventing the Haunted Mansion with free ranging ride vehicles, as were installed in the Tokyo Disneyland Winnie the Pooh attraction.

. . .

A recent issue of D23 magazine had a piece of artwork showing the Haunted Mansion ballroom with guests seated at the table. That artwork was the outgrowth of this very preliminary proposal.

. . .

After the stretching room sequence which would be enhanced to set up this story better, guests would be invited for the first time into the ballroom and be seated at the table for the party.

That's pretty creative. A similar scene with LPS vehicles in an Alice in Wonderland ride with the Mad Hatter's Tea Party might also work. They could have the ride vehicles around an oversized Tea Party table, you get inside and they start rotating around to "Un-Birthday" music and exit for the next scene.

I wonder if LPS vehicles aren't used more for technical reasons, such as loading in the elements. The Pooh ride at Disneyland has an outside loading section that looks nice, but a track is used for the ride system. If it rains, LPS vehicles might be more skid prone, and they might jerk around trying to stay "on track". A solution might be to have a ride system which has LPS vehicles, but that the vehicles are able to slide onto some sort of track for exposed portions of the ride.

It would be great to have an LPS Pooh ride which has both dark ride portions, and a 100 acre wood portions which is outside. Hills would be nice too, though I'm sure how LPS vehicles do with elevations.

I believe that the chairs leaned back in the darkness and what your glasses saw was you being buried alive with dirt being thrown on you or some other kind of interesting transition if that was just too intense.

I guess they could have a "Burried Alive" line and a "Tinker Bell takes you to visit the ghosts line". Probably wouldn't have scared that many guests, before you figure out what is going on its over. Not many people pick-up that in the HM you "fall" out of the attic window to your death and the first living person you meet, the graveyard digger is afraid of you because you're now a ghost.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
no doubt there were several people involved! i can only imagine. i would of loved to be a fly on the wall in those planning sessions lol...it boggles my mind how every aspect, small and large, in all the disney parks and everything in them comes to fruition. i would love to be a part of imagineering...

I was involved in many different versions of Indy and put on it and taken off of it several times over the years. So it was hashed and rehashed many times at many different budgets and scopes of work. What we have today is the final result, and after seeing what could have been, you sometimes want it to be more, but guests still seem to line up for it. Curse of being a designer is knowing what isn't there! The one thing I try and duplicate in my own studio today is the notion of "hard fun". Solving difficult problems in search of a breakthrough and trying not to just repeat what's out there. At least spin it or take it in a new direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom