Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

TestTrack Dummy

Eddie i was curious if there is any demade for software engineers in WDI? I really want to become an Imagineer. Also is it unusual for a software engineers in WDI move up in the ranks?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Sorry, there was something amusing about those two responses of yours back to back.

Not that I am reading anything in ...:D
Of course not...;) BTW- I hope you're not assuming I did D23 out of some kind of "desperation". I get paid substantially to speak outside of Disney, but accepted this opportunity gratis as it was an opportunity to talk about my own hero Herb Ryman, someone whom I greatly admire and respect.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
In thinking about what Tomorrowland should be, it would be fun to really "push the creative envelope" and reinvent a land that does not appear to rely on old methods, like brick mortar and steel. The new frontiers in Science are not in these areas, but in uncharted areas like quantum physics and the inner space of nano technology. I was reading an article about being able to "grow" a coral reef visa "Biorock". http://www.greengeek.ca/biorock-process-grows-coral-reefs-with-electricity/

Why not simulate buildings that were made of "grown" bricks of natural materials or that have their own "roots"? The article, centered on coral, speaks of one day "growing" an Island. Just a fun example to unleash thinking. I guess my point is that there are so many topics and astounding things going on in Science that can raise the bar of a land that relies on fantasy as a default, when modern reality is potentially more astounding and at times less believable IF you are willing to set the technology bar far enough ahead. Like "growing" a building. Here are 50 brief topics you could develop into any array of exciting attractions.
http://www.newscientist.com/special/50-ideas-to-change-science-forever

In 1955, the "Rocket to the Moon" ride was Science Fiction in the process of becoming science fact. We are only now looking at allowing the average person to sample space. The bar was set high for a dream anyone could understand. Far reaching, but simple. Where's the Mars colony? these guys want to really build one and do a reality show around it!
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19262671/group-plans-mars-settlement
Ironically, in an hour I'm gonna be driving right through the area (PCH Pt. Mugu) where testing is being done to deterine the next level of high speed air travel. Imagine that ride?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...cal-new-aircraft-reach-Mach-6-set-tested.html

So whatever it is... IMO the land could have a more agressive vision that sets some of it's shows equally far ahead. You can't easily inspire people in a black light shooting gallery.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
More than any other single pavilion, Horizons embodied the overall theme and guest expectation of FutureWorld. I think that's why it is so sorely missed. It left a big futurism hole that no other single subject, even Space could really fill. I wish it had been better attended.

Pixiedustmaker

In thinking about what Tomorrowland should be, it would be fun to really "push the creative envelope" and reinvent a land that does not appear to rely on old methods, like brick mortar and steel. The new frontiers in Science are not in these areas, but in uncharted areas like quantum physics and the inner space of nano technology. I was reading an article about being able to "grow" a coral reef visa "Biorock".

Some of the new books in the Star Wars expanded universe involve aliens which grow spaceships out of a coral-like substance, and engineer new biological lifeforms to do all the jobs of machines. Its an interesting idea for a land, not sure how to do it so that the general public would instantly understand/appreciate what the land is all about.

Maybe you could have a "crashed" alien spaceship with exotic lifeforms growing inside of it, or perhaps theme part of the land to be a different planet.

jt04

More than any other single pavilion, Horizons embodied the overall theme and guest expectation of FutureWorld. I think that's why it is so sorely missed. It left a big futurism hole that no other single subject, even Space could really fill. I wish it had been better attended.

That ride in particular took on an eerie quality when there were few guests. And that was often in the final year. You felt very isolated even with your family. It would have made for a great attraction if given an overlay at Halloween. :eek:

Anyway, I certainly can't say I miss it except for the finale.

The future should be so much more compelling.

Pixiedustmaker

Oh, and enjoyed the video of the Peoplemover from 1990

Ditto.

Thanks for the video link, People Mover was a good attraction as you could get off your feet and get a nice view of Tomorrowland, not every ride needs to be a roller-coaster E-Ticket to please the general public. In fact, Tomorrowland already has an E-Ticket coaster: Space Mountain, as well as a mild thrill ride in Star Tours.

We've all read the gossip about a new E-Ticket going into Tomorrowland, but I hope it isn't just another Space Mountain.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
That ride in particular took on an eerie quality when there were few guests. And that was often in the final year. You felt very isolated even with your family. It would have made for a great attraction if given an overlay at Halloween. :eek:

Anyway, I certainly can't say I miss it except for the finale.

The future should be so much more compelling.

Yes. I think the ride could have been better attended with a better name and more exciting facade to draw you over there.

Pixiedustmaker

I think they could bring back a Horizons type ride if it was themed to be like the "Stark/World Expo" seen in the Captain America film. A sort of pseudo-retro world's fair which had that optimistic world view, and which showcases a futuristic vision which would still make sense, but in a fantasy sort of way.

Much of Horizons would be dated today. The robotic chef in the kitchen looks very Jetsons-esque, and countries like Japan are experimenting with using robots to care for their growing population of senior citizens.

These days, there really isn't that optimism that science and technology will both cure our present day problems and improve life, much the opposite. There's concerns about bioterrorism, nuclear weapons, drug-resistant bacteria due to overuse of antibiotics, technology has become a problem in a way. The military is using new technology, but mostly to build hi-tech drones . . .

And our space program is sort of . . . on ice. The Mars Rover's landing was cool, but realistically, we're not going to Mars anytime soon, Obama sort of killed the funding for NASA and I doubt Romney would re-fund NASA back to where it was if he gets in as I think he is "small government" minded. Obama asked NASA to tell him if they "find any martians" . . . before presidents spoked about the space program with more reverence, awe, and pride.

Things like green architecture are cool though, i.e. skyscrapers/buildings that incorporate plant life to lower temperatures and improve air quality. Most every plant in Tommorrowland is edible, I know, I've eat over a dozen type of plants over the years, and spent a couple minutes eating my fair share of the pineapple guava flowers when they were in bloom last spring (most guests, fortunately, don't know they are edible and delicious!)

I think the 1950's did the future best, the country had emerged from the world war with a sense of optimism, and folks didn't know a lot about outer space and molecules and things like that. The old Tomorrowland with People Mover still looks more futuristic than where most of us live, the suburbs, which are pretty much unchanged.

Pixiedustmaker

Just a fun example to unleash thinking. I guess my point is that there are so many topics and astounding things going on in Science that can raise the bar of a land that relies on fantasy as a default, when modern reality is potentially more astounding and at times less believable IF you are willing to set the technology bar far enough ahead.

There are a lot of amazing things happening in the science & technology world, always have been. I frequently read new stuff online and talk about it with people just to amaze them, though sometimes, the stuff is so esoteric that the "amazing" parts get lost in translation.

Einstein's general and special theories of relativity are over half a century old, yet most people would be surprised if you told them that time slows down as you approach the speed of light. Make a spaceship that can travel at a good fraction of the speed of light and you can travel into the future.

The thing is that rides need to be partly recognizable and within the general public's grasp to be fun. If you don't understand the basic outlines of the scientific concepts behind something you get lost. Journey Into Inner Space was a fun ride, not because of the atoms, most folks knew a little about atoms, but because the guests were "shrunk" down and listened to a disembodied voice yak about "going to far" into the atom (I guess into the realm of quarks).

Whatever ride they do in Tomorrowland, it needs to have a good story and be semi-recognizable, IMHO, first, and then later the atmosphere could be adjusted. Everybody knows about Star Wars, so the ride is fun, it is easy to buy into that reality. Same thing for Buzz Lightyear, Buzz is a generic Buzz Lightyear type space cowboy shooting the aliens, everybody gets the ride.

I would enjoy a dark ride that explored the intricate concepts in Physics, like String Theory and General Relativity, and new and strange things in cosmology like dark matter, but I would also realize that Joe General public wouldn't "get" the ride in the same way.

I did love Body Wars, wish the would build a ride where you zoomed through the human body, maybe make it a roller coaster type ride. Fortunately, Pixar is making a film about the life of thoughts inside a girl's mind . . .

flynnibus

Premium Member
These days, there really isn't that optimism that science and technology will both cure our present day problems and improve life, much the opposite. There's concerns about bioterrorism, nuclear weapons, drug-resistant bacteria due to overuse of antibiotics, technology has become a problem in a way. The military is using new technology, but mostly to build hi-tech drones . . .

Yet ECPOT and horizons was designed during one of the darker periods in terms of understanding what future space exploration and science fiction might be like. Gritty films like Alien, Blade Runner, etc weren't painting the optimistic view of the future that was seen in ECPOT. I don't see designs being constrained by things you mention...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think they could bring back a Horizons type ride if it was themed to be like the "Stark/World Expo" seen in the Captain America film. A sort of pseudo-retro world's fair which had that optimistic world view, and which showcases a futuristic vision which would still make sense, but in a fantasy sort of way.

Much of Horizons would be dated today. The robotic chef in the kitchen looks very Jetsons-esque, and countries like Japan are experimenting with using robots to care for their growing population of senior citizens.

Um, I think you're referring to the robotic chef in the "look back at tomorrow" sequence...that wasn't the future that Horizons was portraying.

I completely disagree that Horizons was dated,save for the hairstyles and films which could have been updated. Where are our undersea cities? Desert reclamations to turn into farm land? Space colonies?

choco choco

In thinking about what Tomorrowland should be, it would be fun to really "push the creative envelope" and reinvent a land that does not appear to rely on old methods, like brick mortar and steel. The new frontiers in Science are not in these areas, but in uncharted areas like quantum physics and the inner space of nano technology. I was reading an article about being able to "grow" a coral reef visa "Biorock". http://www.greengeek.ca/biorock-process-grows-coral-reefs-with-electricity/

I think there's a big challenge in conveying real science in any sort of depth. I work in nanotechnology, and even explaining to friends what it is that I do is extremely difficult, they tend to zone out or get lost quickly. Adventure through Inner Space was close, but superficial from a science level.

Also, there's the idea that you don't explain the science, but just what is achievable from it (this is what Horizons did). People don't always find it entertaining though, Horizons certainly had a hard time of it. The science-speak interests me, as was the optimistic "great, big beautiful tomorrow" message, but sometimes guests don't like it unless it is more adventurous or something.

Making an attraction that makes quantum physics entertaining...well, I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks!

Jeanine

How old was the episode of FF?

It might also mean that those rides are most unique an iconic. Artists sketches or cartoons of the park usually have the Monorail, Matterhorn, Castle and maybe Space Mountain. The park boils down to what looks exotic and those things stay in your mind. Seems they were under pressure and blanking.

I think it was one from the Steve Harvey era, although I'm not sure where that comes in the Family Feud continuum. I just thought it was amazing that even the 100 people, who presumably (I don't really know how they get the answers from them) weren't under a big time constraint, picked Tower of Terror, and that perhaps the Rocket Jets were more memorable than the people who removed them thought.

Pixiedustmaker

Um, I think you're referring to the robotic chef in the "look back at tomorrow" sequence...that wasn't the future that Horizons was portraying.

I completely disagree that Horizons was dated,save for the hairstyles and films which could have been updated. Where are our undersea cities? Desert reclamations to turn into farm land? Space colonies?

Oh, my bad. I loved Horizons too, the robotic farming was the best. It always looked like a nice peaceful job, sitting in a control room while the robots ploughed the fields.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think there's a big challenge in conveying real science in any sort of depth. I work in nanotechnology, and even explaining to friends what it is that I do is extremely difficult, they tend to zone out or get lost quickly. Adventure through Inner Space was close, but superficial from a science level.

Also, there's the idea that you don't explain the science, but just what is achievable from it (this is what Horizons did). People don't always find it entertaining though, Horizons certainly had a hard time of it. The science-speak interests me, as was the optimistic "great, big beautiful tomorrow" message, but sometimes guests don't like it unless it is more adventurous or something.

Making an attraction that makes quantum physics entertaining...well, I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks!

I'm more about showing than telling. If it's good, it's implied. I'd just have the grown buildings and not get into the how unless you wanted to find out. If you are in tomorrow, life just goes on normally in the future. Minority Report told us little of how any of it is done, but just shows us a new reality. Now we have most of it.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
There are a lot of amazing things happening in the science & technology world, always have been. I frequently read new stuff online and talk about it with people just to amaze them, though sometimes, the stuff is so esoteric that the "amazing" parts get lost in translation.

Einstein's general and special theories of relativity are over half a century old, yet most people would be surprised if you told them that time slows down as you approach the speed of light. Make a spaceship that can travel at a good fraction of the speed of light and you can travel into the future.

The thing is that rides need to be partly recognizable and within the general public's grasp to be fun. If you don't understand the basic outlines of the scientific concepts behind something you get lost. Journey Into Inner Space was a fun ride, not because of the atoms, most folks knew a little about atoms, but because the guests were "shrunk" down and listened to a disembodied voice yak about "going to far" into the atom (I guess into the realm of quarks).

Whatever ride they do in Tomorrowland, it needs to have a good story and be semi-recognizable, IMHO, first, and then later the atmosphere could be adjusted. Everybody knows about Star Wars, so the ride is fun, it is easy to buy into that reality. Same thing for Buzz Lightyear, Buzz is a generic Buzz Lightyear type space cowboy shooting the aliens, everybody gets the ride.

I would enjoy a dark ride that explored the intricate concepts in Physics, like String Theory and General Relativity, and new and strange things in cosmology like dark matter, but I would also realize that Joe General public wouldn't "get" the ride in the same way.

I did love Body Wars, wish the would build a ride where you zoomed through the human body, maybe make it a roller coaster type ride. Fortunately, Pixar is making a film about the life of thoughts inside a girl's mind . . .

Good points all. As you point out, it's all about what you do in any of these experiences that has to come first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom