Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

StageFrenzy

The first 75 would go to rehabbing the park. Star Tours 2.0 needs to be put in there asap. I'd love to see a TRON Legacy themed "Light Cycle" Attraction, possibly an indoor land if you will with a live arena show facing the queue with the Disc Wars, then you exit into the "End of line Club", etc. All indoors so it succeeds despite the weather. Splash Mountain has always been a candidate for some,but the weather is so damp and cold I can't vote for it, as you'd be miserable the rest of the day. TRON did not do as well as it could have (400m), Splash isn't really based on a marketable "franchise" either. It stands on it's own as a show. I think the techno look and the Cycles as a ride system would have huge appeal over there. Europeans love technology. Never happen as they would say you cannot market it. But I'd do it anyhow and just make it irresistible.

With Daft Punk it's an instant hit as well! Plus they are french.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
With Daft Punk it's an instant hit as well! Plus they are french.
Their music is really great,which makes a big difference in attraction design. Did not realize they were French. I was just watching the new animated series "Tron: Uprising" and the show looks fantastic. (First episode free on iTunes). The angular "Aeon Flux" style animation captures the world very well. Looking forward to downloading all the episodes. I hope it does well, and it's great to see them using the franchise in an intelligent way.

the.dreamfinder

Splash Mountain has always been a candidate for some,but the weather is so damp and cold I can't vote for it, as you'd be miserable the rest of the day.
Didn't the newest version of Splash at TDL have some sort of winter mode/could they make a winter mode like at GRR where guests don't get wet?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The first 75 would go to rehabbing the park. Star Tours 2.0 needs to be put in there asap. I'd love to see a TRON Legacy themed "Light Cycle" Attraction, possibly an indoor land if you will with a live arena show facing the queue with the Disc Wars, then you exit into the "End of line Club", etc. The ElecTRONica event at DCA was really cool and it gave you a feel for how successful something like that could be. I love the design of that film. Especially the costuming. All indoors so it succeeds despite the weather. Splash Mountain has always been a candidate for some,but the weather is so damp and cold I can't vote for it, as you'd be miserable the rest of the day. TRON did not do as well as it could have (400m), Splash isn't really based on a marketable "franchise" either. It stands on it's own as a show. I think the techno look and the Cycles as a ride system would have huge appeal over there. Europeans love technology. Never happen as they would say you cannot market it. But I'd do it anyhow and just make it irresistible.

Agree, Agree, Agree.

Yes, the plot of the TRON:Legacy movie wasn't perfect, I don't care. It didn't get huge box office returns, I don't care.

TRON has its own style, its own music, its own mythology, and lends itself better to theme park attractions than most other franchises out right now. I'm happy that Shanghai is getting it, but they really missed out on the others so far IMO

I would MUCH rather spend my time on The Grid than in Pandora ANY DAY

El Grupo

Eddie,

Please pardon me if the following has been previously addressed. Considering the long-standing challenges with maintaining a futuristic Tomorrowland, has there ever been any serious considerations given to transitioning the entire area to something along the lines of a Tron-like, alternate universe?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie,

Please pardon me if the following has been previously addressed. Considering the long-standing challenges with maintaining a futuristic Tomorrowland, has there ever been any serious considerations given to transitioning the entire area to something along the lines of a Tron-like, alternate universe?

Not at all. It's a big thread! I don't know to what extent they explored it, but I'm sure they developed something along those lines as the movie was poised to be a hit, it seems pretty obvious as a "land". I'd sure like to see that.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Agree, Agree, Agree.

Yes, the plot of the TRON:Legacy movie wasn't perfect, I don't care. It didn't get huge box office returns, I don't care.

TRON has its own style, its own music, its own mythology, and lends itself better to theme park attractions than most other franchises out right now. I'm happy that Shanghai is getting it, but they really missed out on the others so far IMO

Me too. Look at the quality of design in "Tron Uprising" and it screams theme park. So good.

RSoxNo1

Agree, Agree, Agree.

The plot of Tron: Legacy was probably fine, but Disney failed to properly re-introduce the backstory. It's something that Pixar does exceptionally well, they can give you a ridiculous amount of information in the first 10 minutes that will drive the story. There wasn't enough backstory in Tron: Legacy, to me that's why I didn't like it.

lazyboy97o

The plot of Tron: Legacy was probably fine, but Disney failed to properly re-introduce the backstory. It's something that Pixar does exceptionally well, they can give you a ridiculous amount of information in the first 10 minutes that will drive the story. There wasn't enough backstory in Tron: Legacy, to me that's why I didn't like it.
I agree. Disney tried to position a clear sequel as a stand alone film, even delaying the latest home release of TRON so as to prevent people from easily seeing the first before seeing the second.

gaga4disney

The first 75 would go to rehabbing the park. Star Tours 2.0 needs to be put in there asap. I'd love to see a TRON Legacy themed "Light Cycle" Attraction, possibly an indoor land if you will with a live arena show facing the queue with the Disc Wars, then you exit into the "End of line Club", etc. The ElecTRONica event at DCA was really cool and it gave you a feel for how successful something like that could be. I love the design of that film. Especially the costuming. All indoors so it succeeds despite the weather. Splash Mountain has always been a candidate for some,but the weather is so damp and cold I can't vote for it, as you'd be miserable the rest of the day. TRON did not do as well as it could have (400m), Splash isn't really based on a marketable "franchise" either. It stands on it's own as a show. I think the techno look and the Cycles as a ride system would have huge appeal over there. Europeans love technology. Never happen as they would say you cannot market it. But I'd do it anyhow and just make it irresistible.

Tron ride or theme area is a no-brainer. I know they were tossing it around for DL any word on his happening at WDW?

flynnibus

Premium Member
The plot of Tron: Legacy was probably fine, but Disney failed to properly re-introduce the backstory

Dunno - it was pretty simple if you ask me. Dad and son.. Dad from previous Tron film.. Dad disappears :) There was a TON of story elements introduced outside the film itself (internet, social media, written, live events, etc) but those were mostly for fans to give them 'that much more'. The premise of the film is pretty easily established. What is more difficult was the elements introduced in the film itself.. like the new life forms and why they are significant, etc.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Dunno - it was pretty simple if you ask me. Dad and son.. Dad from previous Tron film.. Dad disappears :) There was a TON of story elements introduced outside the film itself (internet, social media, written, live events, etc) but those were mostly for fans to give them 'that much more'. The premise of the film is pretty easily established. What is more difficult was the elements introduced in the film itself.. like the new life forms and why they are significant, etc.

That's my take on it...the new life forms and why they're important could have been an incredible plot-line to truly emotionally tie the movie together and make it more than an action movie/sequel. Instead it was mentioned for about 1 minute and that's it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
^^ I am going to reference what I said earlier about tying the movie together. I was watching a "making of Jaws" special and how horribly the shoot was going for everyone involved. At one point they decided to do the scene with Quint talking about the USS Indianapolis and the sharks that killed all of his fellow sailors. The cast said that was the moment that made that movie special.

This brings me back to theme parks. I've often said that I like certain parts of attractions that are the "awe-inspiring" moments...the ones you don't forget. The scene as you are leaving the caves in POTC to see the huge battle and pirate ship right in front of you...the ceiling that bursts into flames above you on Revenge of the Mummy....The moment on TOT where your elevator car moves forward.

I think there's plenty of ways to create a lasting impression with a certain, special effect or moment in an attraction.

jt04

It could not happen soon enough. Lax is a dump compared to other facilities. So out of date.

First impressions mean everything and LA has such a unique aesthetic style that it essentially demands the first place many visitors see be of great quality. Definitely worth the investment.

So have you heard the IBM "THINK" exhibit is on the way to Future World? Thoughts?

puntagordabob

Must have been the same marketing people that dropped the ball on John Carter... which was an Awesome movie but as in the case of Tron, Disney failed to explain the backstory that included the fact that Star Wars and all the other great sci fi hits of our time were inspired by Edgar Rice Burroughs writings including the Mars series.

paste below from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_of_Mars
Influence on later works
John Carter of Mars was a major influence on other science fiction/fantasy tales and characters through the 20th Century, including Superman, Flash Gordon, Adam Strange, Dune, Warp!, Den, and Star Wars to name just a few. The movie Avatar was inspired by John Carter of Mars. According to Avatar's creator, James Cameron, “With Avatar, I thought, Forget all these chick flicks and do a classic guys’ adventure movie, something in the Edgar Rice Burroughs mold, like John Carter of Mars—a soldier goes to Mars.”[6]

puntagordabob

Must have been the same marketing people that dropped the ball on John Carter... which was an Awesome movie but as in the case of Tron, Disney failed to explain the backstory that included the fact that Star Wars and all the other great sci fi hits of our time were inspired by Edgar Rice Burroughs writings including the Mars series.

paste below from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_of_Mars
Influence on later works
John Carter of Mars was a major influence on other science fiction/fantasy tales and characters through the 20th Century, including Superman, Flash Gordon, Adam Strange, Dune, Warp!, Den, and Star Wars to name just a few. The movie Avatar was inspired by John Carter of Mars. According to Avatar's creator, James Cameron, “With Avatar, I thought, Forget all these chick flicks and do a classic guys’ adventure movie, something in the Edgar Rice Burroughs mold, like John Carter of Mars—a soldier goes to Mars.”[6]

If they had marketed this better I think this movie would have been a big hit.... I do hope that they do a sequel...the movie did do very well outside of the USA market where the Disney marketing did not apparently sabotage their own movie....

Cosmic Commando

If they had marketed this better I think this movie would have been a big hit.... I do hope that they do a sequel...the movie did do very well outside of the USA market where the Disney marketing did not apparently sabotage their own movie....
You might be able to make an argument about going to Andrew Stanton and seeing what he could do for a second movie with a smaller budget based on some of the international numbers, but John Carter was that movie that everyone laughed at and I don't think Disney is gutsy enough to do it again. Plus the fact that Andrew Stanton was so cocky that he butchered the story to "set up for the sequel". But that's just IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom