Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Rode "Mater's Junkyard Jamboree" "whip" type ride for the first time last night with the kids. They thought it was fun and it was. I'm thinking a "C" Ticket max. I'm not sure show long they would wait for it, as we only stood for 10 minutes tops. The highlight is Mater doing the safety spiel in butchered Espanol. Reminded me of how Disney can be fun and corny, but you kinda go with it.

I'd say a best kept experience is sitting at Flo's on the outdoor patio looking out at the valley panorama. My so ran to get that table with this beautiful view and the cars speeding by.

Californian Elitist

Rode "Mater's Junkyard Jamboree" "whip" type ride for the first time last night with the kids. They thought it was fun and it was. I'm thinking a "C" Ticket max. I'm not sure show long they would wait for it, as we only stood for 10 minutes tops. The highlight is Mater doing the safety spiel in butchered Espanol. Reminded me of how Disney can be fun and corny, but you kinda go with it.

I'd say a best kept experience is sitting at Flo's on the outdoor patio looking out at the valley panorama. My so ran to get that table with this beautiful view and the cars speeding by.

That's good to hear. Do you think they'll keep expanding DCA? I hope they do.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think they need to do something about the Luigi Tire attraction as it's pretty dull and has almost no capacity. The land is really popular and that square footage is gold. I hope they replace it with something worth waiting for. If they used the free ranging vehicles (we used in TDL Pooh (5 per car) or Aquatopia from TDS) and made it really fun with spraying water or other effects, you might be able to pull something off that's uses that area and is Tire or Luigi themed in that space. They could use something more interesting than a fruit juice stand in the Fillmore's "hippie" themed space. It looks great, but does not pay off as well as it could.

Californian Elitist

I've heard some reviews on Luigi's. I don't think it'll last for a long time. I wish they'd so something with Hollywood Land. It still looks kinda cheap and it still needs sprucing, not to mention they could put an attraction behind Tower.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
As for expansion, I think they will try and ride the wave they have at DCA to make the money back, and then go back into Disneyland to add something to balance the demand out. For example, the Autopia looks pretty lame now that there is a Carsland. The Autopia ride experience has eroded, from real Go Karting in 1955, to fun bumper cars, to "crash less" toy cars you can barely steer and crawl along.

Disneyland needs more common area too to absorb guests, so Tomorrowland is kind a big area with lots of acreage that is eaten up by the Autopia and the motor boats. I cannot imagine Subs going out this soon given the mega investment and popularity as some suggest, but I've been wrong before.

Californian Elitist

I have a big feeling Autopia is on its way out, since they didn't bother to renew their contract with Chevron. I guess I don't want the attraction to go, due to nostalgia. I don't ride it as much as I used to but if it's going, I'll just have to suck it up.

If all three go (Autopia, Innoventions, and the Subs), that'll be tons of space to work with. Honestly, I wish they'd use a different ride system and out the Rocket Rods back. I loved that ride.

I've been hearing rumors about a supposedly Oz land. That just seems odd to me. What I want to see are these plans for a Marvel park. I want to see what they've come up with.

Pixiedustmaker

. . . the Autopia looks pretty lame now that there is a Carsland. The Autopia ride experience has eroded, from real Go Karting in 1955, to fun bumper cars, to "crash less" toy cars you can barely steer and crawl along.

Disneyland needs more common area too to absorb guests, so Tomorrowland is kind a big area with lots of acreage that is eaten up by the Autopia and the motor boats. I cannot imagine Subs going out this soon given the mega investment and popularity as some suggest, but I've been wrong before.

I seriously doubt they'll ever take the Autopia out. Here's my reasoning:

1. Autopia was an opening day attraction, there's nostalgia (even though it isn't the same).

2. Autopia has FastPass. When was the last time Disney took out an attraction with fast pass?

3. The under-ten-years-old age group loves Autopia, as well as a lot of teens who don't have learner permits yet. Older fan boys aren't wowed by it anymore, but its more about parents having fun with their kids.

4. Hong Kong Disneyland has an electric Autopia, as well as futuristic theming. Autopia was a cheap ride to build and run—though if Disneyland added something to look at besides the monorail track/people mover track, like an awesome futuristic landscape, and made it electric, the Autopia would remain popular, and become even more popular. Filling the Autopia queue with guests is a lot of crowd space.

5. Autopia is built over the Subs building. To fully utilize the area (for something other than a place to soak up the crowds), they'll have to tear out the subs which remain popular. Or pay tens of millions to somehow build a massive show-building/queue over the subs building. Yes, the sub are slow loading, but guests will wait 30-45 minutes and guests waiting in switchbacks soaks up crowds like nothing else.

6. Yeah, its on a rail, but you still have to steer it and push on the gas pedal, more interactive than Radiator Springs Racers which the guests are passive.

7. Rip out Autopia and families with young kids will go elsewhere for these rides, like Lego-land. Its a right of passage thing, and families with young kids still love it.

8. Paul Pressler wanted to take out the subs because he wanted more storage space.

9. It is harder to hide a showbuilding in Tomorrowland than Frontierland, due to the trees planted around Frontierland and the ease of planting trees to hide a large showbuilding.

Pixiedustmaker

I've been hearing rumors about a supposedly Oz land. That just seems odd to me.

Tony Baxter toured Disneyland with Iger looking at areas for expansion, and they looked at Tomorrowland and Frontierland. Obviously, if they move Circle D Corral north, they've got enough space to expand Frontierland to the size of Autopia and have room for show buildings. Back in the day they put a spiel on the Disneyland railroad when it toured the meadow that became Toontown as they talked about room for future expansion in Disneyland. If they look to the west of Toontown, and even Fantasyland theatre, they could expand Fantasyland and Frontierland if the wanted.

I am willing to bet that Burbank will go with a Western River Expedition inspired ride based on Lone Ranger as part of a greatly expanded Frontierland.

Cowboys and Indians are timeless, Disney has had an Oz misfire before. They'll probably have a temporary Oz displays in Frontierland, but the movie will be forgotten in three to four years even if a hit.

Tony Baxter presented a video at D23 which went into the details of the Western River Expedition Ride, and he made (at least in my mind) a coy remark at the end about how the ride would have been fun, though he didn't sound sad, but almost energized when he talked about it.

Pirates of the Caribbean inspired Pirates movies staring Johnny Depp.
Success of Pirates movies inspires Lone Ranger film starring Depp.
Long Ranger film inspired E-Ticket in Disneyland that rivals Pirates of the Caribbean.

Does anybody seriously think that Johnny Depp in the Lone Ranger movie is going to come in second to James Franco's Oz? Franco is a good actor, but I just don't feel that the film will resonate with the public. Let's face it, Disney's Oz is just trying to soak up some of Wicked's popularity, when the Wicked movie comes out, it will be popular, unsure about Oz the Great and Powerful . . .

Villains0501

Excellent points. I have also seen little kids get afraid of the queen in the window, most of the time they keep their eyes glued on the window after the curtain closes as they get afraid that the queen is watching them.

My nephew's first ride was Mr. Toad in DL, he freaked out in the hell scene. LOL. Toad is ok as it sorta teaches a moral, but it does scare little kids.

I wouldn't want a 'Villain's Fantasyland' to promote pagan or wicca or goth culture, but rather to feel more "enchanted" than pure fantasy. I could see though how a whole land focusing on the explicit "magic" of Villains might be a magnet for occult fans, and irk others.

I guess I'd want it to have the feel of Mickey Not so Scary halloween party, which kids seem to do "ok" with. MNSSHP sort of humanizes the villains, which apparently is what the Maleficent movie will do, maybe morals-wise this isn't a too good idea, after all, the witch in Snow White did try to poison Snow White . . .

I can see why Disney might have abandoned a whole "Villains Park", the villains are pretty well represented in rides in Disneyland anyway, where marauding Pirates have their own E-Ticket . . .

You're kidding me, right? You have to be kidding. The occult? Come on. They're cartoon characters. They're not even that scary. Captain Hook is harmless and Ursula is so cartoonish she's practically the embodiment of camp. How about you let your children live a little? Don't coddle them so much. Expose them to new things, new facets of life (even if those facets are a tad unsettling). Let them ride 'Snow White's Scary Adventures' or meet Cruella de Vil, and if they don't like the experience, guess what? They don't have to do it again. Believe me, they'll live. But at least give them the opportunity to experience something different or unfamiliar before condeming it as witchcraft and paganism. Jeez! If people with your old-fashioned sensibilities were running Disney World, there would be less variety in the parks than there already is:

"So long, Pirates of the Caribbean! Sayonara, Haunted Mansion. Those attractions were just far too pagan. We didn't want our guests stepping off those attractions with a sudden hankering for drinking chicken blood and wearing Pentagram necklaces. No, Disney World will be a much better place if every park is dedicated to harmless, banal princes and princesses."

Oh, and there are plenty of good Disney characters who practice versions of the sinful occult that you're so fiercely opposed to (Mama Odie--"Princess and the Frog", Mushu--"Mulan", the various fairies).

Californian Elitist

Tony Baxter toured Disneyland with Iger looking at areas for expansion, and they looked at Tomorrowland and Frontierland. Obviously, if they move Circle D Corral north, they've got enough space to expand Frontierland to the size of Autopia and have room for show buildings. Back in the day they put a spiel on the Disneyland railroad when it toured the meadow that became Toontown as they talked about room for future expansion in Disneyland. If they look to the west of Toontown, and even Fantasyland theatre, they could expand Fantasyland and Frontierland if the wanted.

I am willing to bet that Burbank will go with a Western River Expedition inspired ride based on Lone Ranger as part of a greatly expanded Frontierland.

Cowboys and Indians are timeless, Disney has had an Oz misfire before. They'll probably have a temporary Oz displays in Frontierland, but the movie will be forgotten in three to four years even if a hit.

Tony Baxter presented a video at D23 which went into the details of the Western River Expedition Ride, and he made (at least in my mind) a coy remark at the end about how the ride would have been fun, though he didn't sound sad, but almost energized when he talked about it.

Pirates of the Caribbean inspired Pirates movies staring Johnny Depp.
Success of Pirates movies inspires Lone Ranger film starring Depp.
Long Ranger film inspired E-Ticket in Disneyland that rivals Pirates of the Caribbean.

Does anybody seriously think that Johnny Depp in the Lone Ranger movie is going to come in second to James Franco's Oz? Franco is a good actor, but I just don't feel that the film will resonate with the public.

WRE does look nice but I honestly I want them to come up with something new. Everyone is thinking the same thing; Lone Ranger. I'm not completely dismissing the whole Oz thing. I would want to see plans first. Still sounds weird to me.

the.dreamfinder

Documenting the creative process/making of
Hey Eddie,
About a year ago, I found this really fantastic BBC making of documentary on DLP's Space Mountain from 1995 called "Shoot for the Moon". (You might remember it because you were interviewed in it :D) The documentary really did give a fairly good look into WDI that few documentary shows about the parks provide while also going into Disney's relationship with futurism and space exploration. Do you have any interesting stories from the filming of the special or the run up to the openings of any stand alone attractions (Like DLP's Space Mountain of TDL's Hunny Hunt)?(On a side note, I really hope that there is a special/documentary in the works for Shanghai along these lines, but that's just the fanboy in me.)
Also, I was wondering if you had heard of the documentary that the video game company Double Fine is doing alongside the game they funded through kickstarter? (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure) They've done four episodes so far on the initial conception of the game which has been very fascinating to see because it really feels sincere. I would highly recommend checking it out if you haven't yet.
Having said that, do you have any thoughts about documenting the creative process? Do you feel like it would be like scientists watching lab rats or something that serves to document how to the creative process works for future generations?

Animaniac93-98

A question for Eddie when he has the time: How did the Imagineers pick Sleeping Beauty for the castle in DLP, over other potential movie candidates? Was it because Tony was such a big fan?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Do you have any thoughts about documenting the creative process? Do you feel like it would be like scientists watching lab rats or something that serves to document how to the creative process works for future generations?

Documenting the process can be good if you are not camera aware. I enjoy watching those DVD extras that show you the backstory of making a film. Sometimes when I see how difficult it was to make a certain great work, it makes me feel better about the project nightmares I've been involved with. You know that these things are messy and filled with problems. You have to slog through them. the production process of building something is also part of the creative process, as what was thought of may of may not work in execution. You may need to be creative to solve what isn't working out in the field while it's being built. It's interesting to try and document the process, although I find the breakthroughs often happen in the shower! EUREKA! Ideas can come from unlikely places and the process, at least for me, happens in life while doing other things as much as it does in structured environments.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
We just finished watching a documentary entitled "Note by Note" that takes you through the year long process of hand building a 9 foot Concert Steinway Piano. From selecting the wood in Alaska to chipping the timbers and tuning it several times over a month's time till it's right. Interesting story. What struck me about it was the statement made by one of the technicians. He mentioned that they were the last piano company to tune their pianos entirely by ear. The others use computers to ensure the tune and the remark was that they sounded artificially perfect. Like a synthesizer. Pianists equated the various Steinways to having their own "soul" and each unit having a personality in their sound and way they respond to your touch. As humans, we cannot help but add our imperfection to what we do, even as perfectionists. We want to see that soul, or passion as a reflection of what we make and consume. That may be a reason why we respond to handmade things so readily. We sense the soul in them. So many things are becoming victim to the perfection that mechanization provides (and I like most of it). but when you want to connect with something emotionally like entertainment it's the soul that counts.

Maybe we discuss the creative process because it is so imperfect and random at times, or at least seems that way. Disney Parks, like Steinways are hand tuned and are still handmade. The skills are passed down to younger generations. Details still matter. When we see too many of those details culled from catalogs, or something that rings as contrived, vacant or false,it just sounds flat.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
A question for Eddie when he has the time: How did the Imagineers pick Sleeping Beauty for the castle in DLP, over other potential movie candidates? Was it because Tony was such a big fan?

Both. First it was a story of French origin "La Belle au bois dormant," and we had a requirement to introduce French and European culture as a percentage of the park's content. Of course, it did not hurt that Tony and Tom Morris were both big fans of the film.

MarkTwain

I'll forever be surprised that they opted not to go with "Belle et la Bete" / Beauty and the Beast for the castle. If nothing else, it certainly would have been a timely movie tie-in.

Where is Tony Morris these days? Is he still with Disney?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Yes he is and very busy. Tom Morris was principally involved in the design of Carsland and Radiator Springs Racers.

As to BATB, I recall seeing it screened in Paris in 1991 long after the park had gone into design, so it was probably too late in the game. We began the design as early as 1988 and were in construction about that time. It's true, we could have gone that way based on early art from the movie, but what if it would have bombed? BATB was not represented in the land till it was part of the Storybookland expansion. Hindsight says it would have been a good idea.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Sometimes it's good to peer into the world of science and innovation to see what is in the early stages. Advances in presentation techniques are valuable as they can apply to special effects and illusions you want to develop for an attraction of show. Here's something new I was watching that could be a new projection surface that is closest to projecting on a soap bubble. Not there yet from a practical standpoint, but an interesting innovation to watch.

hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvxJs_4m0ZE&list=LPVKtrN_ox0XQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom