Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Eddie, if a testing attraction, let's say a roller coaster this time, has an accident during pre opening testing that results in an injury and word leaks out; how do you feel that that should be handled? That has recently happened at a larger theme park in the country, the word leaked, the park did a run before verifying the track and support condition to disprove the rumor. Testing has now resumed but the damaged train is tucked away. Word of the incident leaked nationwide.

KevinYee

The designers of sets back then exaggerated the moldings, window recesses, etc. a bit to get more depth and shadow on film.

These are my favorite kinds of stories because they aren't in the other books you can read about theme parks. We've been told before that DL was built by movie people, but that usually ends with the example of forced perspective. I've never thought before about proportion and exaggeration in service of film, and thus on Main Street.

Is there something like this with color, with texture, with materials? Treat roofs differently than walls, and ceilings than both? More, more!! :)

Ralphlaw

A slight majority of people do prefer Pepsi-Cola to Coca-Cola, thus the Famous Pepsi Challenge. But sometimes brad loyalty is stronger, as New Coke did better than both in taste tests but was despised by the public.

Actually, if you read Malcom Gladwell's book, "Blink" you'll see that Coke is generally preferred after the first couple of sips. In short, Pepsi is preferred in a taste test, but Coke has staying power. I also own stock in Coke, but prefer drinking Diet Mt. Dew. Go figure.

Anyhow, peeling paint due to moisture, something tells me that wouldn't happen in the U.S. The painters would get sued. Thank your local lawyers for that. And is it always a scramble to open the parks and new attractions? It never seems to go smoothly with deliberation and calm thought just before opening. I understand movies are made the same way, with panic right up 'til the premier.

By the way, for anyone who cares to look, I was on the 3rd cover of the printed version of the Onion in Madison, Wisconsin, in 1988 as the winner of a cheese sandwich for writing a 50 word essay on why America is neat. I'm sure it's buried in the internet somewhere.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, if a testing attraction, let's say a roller coaster this time, has an accident during pre opening testing that results in an injury and word leaks out; how do you feel that that should be handled? That has recently happened at a larger theme park in the country, the word leaked, the park did a run before verifying the track and support condition to disprove the rumor. Testing has now resumed but the damaged train is tucked away. Word of the incident leaked nationwide.

Obviously, honesty is always the best policy. Testing with people that can be injured is another issue. As best you can, you resolve things before humans ever get on and you don't bury the news.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Actually, if you read Malcom Gladwell's book, "Blink" you'll see that Coke is generally preferred after the first couple of sips. In short, Pepsi is preferred in a taste test, but Coke has staying power. I also own stock in Coke, but prefer drinking Diet Mt. Dew. Go figure.

THAT was it, thanks!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
These are my favorite kinds of stories because they aren't in the other books you can read about theme parks. We've been told before that DL was built by movie people, but that usually ends with the example of forced perspective. I've never thought before about proportion and exaggeration in service of film, and thus on Main Street.

Is there something like this with color, with texture, with materials? Treat roofs differently than walls, and ceilings than both? More, more!! :)

This something I uncovered by hanging out with some of the early designers and it was not so much as conscious by them as it was evident to me. I doubt there is much written about this aspect, but when I asked why the stylistic exaggeration occurred, they told me it was for the lights. In film there are colors you use that react in a certain way to lights, etc. There were even color systems the studios had at the time. In the heyday of Technicolor, there was a consultant they would provide to force colors to read brighter and of greater effect.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Well, it is true that the quality of 3D is slowly being lowered and the new Transformers Ride seems to blur the lines between real and projected amazingly well. In that project you are combining ride vehicle simulation with sets that move and 3D projection, so it's not a just glorified movie, there are real show action scenes. So AA is on thin ice for the reasons you mention, or at least on notice that it will have to get way better or have a different role in the show. C3PO should be an AA for example, because he is best interpreted that way, so it's case by case.

Hi Eddie, I'm a few days behind (since I just came back from TOKYO!!! and TDR of course!!!)

I saw the opening information when the Singapore Transformers ride was opening, and there were NO AA's at all. Now I know that Universal is not known for much AA type of work at all, but they've had a few. It was very telling that they didn't even attempt at making one as a transformer (even if it wasn't going to transform, but just be an informational set piece, etc.)

I do think we're getting to the point where the film quality will overtake AA's, but I am also saddened by it.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Hi Eddie, I'm a few days behind (since I just came back from TOKYO!!! and TDR of course!!!)

I saw the opening information when the Singapore Transformers ride was opening, and there were NO AA's at all. Now I know that Universal is not known for much AA type of work at all, but they've had a few. It was very telling that they didn't even attempt at making one as a transformer (even if it wasn't going to transform, but just be an informational set piece, etc.)

I do think we're getting to the point where the film quality will overtake AA's, but I am also saddened by it.

This article may cheer you up a bit. "I love the smell of latex in the morning" Dept.
http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2012/4/27/pirate-animatronic-behind-the-scenes.html

There was an article showing the one here in LA and as I recall there were some AA's (or at least big set pieces) mixed into the 3D. AA's still have their place. I noticed how many were in Star Tours the other day and they still do their part. Welcome back, we'll have to hear a report.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Where ideas come from.

DLP has an Ice Cream Parlor called "The Gibson Girl". After opening in 1992, one was added to Disneyland. The "Gibson Girls" were fictional characters in a famous cartoon feature in the magazine "Collier's" (circa 1900) by the artist Charles Dana Gibson. He comically portrayed these women as independent and aloof toward men, starting a movement among women of that day.

I first saw his illustrations when I was about 10 years old in a very fun, "Gay 90's" themed Ice Cream Parlor called Farrells. A Gibson illustration was used as the menu art (public domain). I guess I never forgot it and thought the girl was beautiful. Over the years, the Farrell's novelty faded and they were pretty much extinct. Till now!. They just reopened one in Orange County where I used to live and I stopped in yesterday. The Gibson Art was still on the menu! I know I mentioned this place earlier (give them the pickle article) but here's some shots from the reinvented version that is a big hit. 3 hour wait on the weekend.

I attached the original art to show how Farrell's took a chess game cartoon called "His move" and adapted it to ice cream. We did similar with the GG Poster and made it a competition between two men for the waitress! Look how many Sodas they have been through trying to outlast each other till she is off work. She could care less of course. Looking back, I wish we had done the poster in black and white. Gibson always had a romantic gag (as in the attached man with his head spinning between two women). The cartoons he did are very funny and beautifully drawn. the DLP location has the best and funniest of his work framed inside, the DL one has some portrait head shots.

In DLP I took Gibson's great cartoon of two women cordially shaking hands, each with an ax held behind their backs, split it into two images and put it to the sides of the front doors. Few guests will dig this up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theverynk/4578768891/in/photostream/

Here's an article published on the design of the paris location.
http://www.designingdisney.com/content/designing-main-street-usa-gibson-girl-ice-cream-parlor

Here's a inexpensive book you can get and really fall in love with his work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JQ6331ZMY6AZWMJAJD4

Attachments

• IMG_8848.jpg
    IMG_8848.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8852.jpg
    IMG_8852.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8855.jpg
    IMG_8855.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 54
  • l.jpg
    l.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 62
  • tumblr_lbalzt6Gxe1qzhl9eo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lbalzt6Gxe1qzhl9eo1_500.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Charles Dana Gibson2.jpg
    Charles Dana Gibson2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 63

Mickey_777

Wow I remember Farrells. There was one in Sprinfield Mall (Virginia) growing up in the mid-late 80's. I remember the colorful patriotic decor and how BIG a deal they made for your birthday. It was a super fun place to go. It had a real family-party atmosphere.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Farrell's was special to me.

I have many similar memories of the place and the special things they would do when you ate a gluttonous "Pig Trough" sundae. They'd announce it and give you a ribbon and make you say that you made a Pig of yourself at Farrell's. The Zoo was the giant silver bowl of 20 scoops of ice cream and they's run a siren and carry it out like a stretcher and run around. So fun. We discuss what "special" is and now look at how we remember those little things they would do at Farrell's where it was all special. That is exactly what the public craves, more and unique "special" things. It took me back to the Shakey's Pizza Parlor days when they played Ragtime and the whole place would sing along. I can't imagine a neighborhood doing that anymore, but I love the memory.

http://www.farrellsusa.com/

MarkTwain

Hey Eddie, I was thinking today about how certain Imagineers seem to have styles or genres of theme that seem to be their "signature". Like how much of Tony Baxter's career was spent working with Steampunk or the "discovery" motif, how futurism/sci-fi seemed to be a recurring subject in Tim Delaney's artwork, or how the Burkes have worked a lot with Frontierland theming.

Would you say that certain Imagineers become fascinated with certain subject matters or styles, or become the "go to" guy for a certain type of theme? And would you say there's any one setting or genre that you find particularly compelling?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Hey Eddie, I was thinking today about how certain Imagineers seem to have styles or genres of theme that seem to be their "signature". Like how much of Tony Baxter's career was spent working with Steampunk or the "discovery" motif, how futurism/sci-fi seemed to be a recurring subject in Tim Delaney's artwork, or how the Burkes have worked a lot with Frontierland theming.

Would you say that certain Imagineers become fascinated with certain subject matters or styles, or become the "go to" guy for a certain type of theme? And would you say there's any one setting or genre that you find particularly compelling?

Yes. Tony Baxter loved what they now call "Steampunk". I got hired by Tony by being a "Nautilian" and "Victorian" "go to" person, he loves that stuff. He has been pushing for decades to get "Discovery Bay" (Vernian land) built in some form, and so we have all built parts of it over the years as pieces of our own work at his subconscious behest. We do get "typecast" by what we have done and they give you more of the same. When I quit WDI, it was best to walk away from parks completely to reinvent my skillset in new media. The Rivera Restaurant (modern design) was an attempt break the mold of being seen as someone who only does "Disneyesque" type work.

Joe Rohde has a passion for the Far East and ancient cultures, so DAK was perfect for him. He is an Art History major, so he can jump into many styles. Being from Hawaii, Aulani was also a natural for him to lead.

As to preference, I love creating immersive worlds. Favorite style is "Nautilian" or "Vernian" design. This differs from "Steampunk" (lots of gears and goggles) as it has a sound mechanical logic as if it could actually work. Art Nouveau is also a specialty although the fun is inventing new styles from the old and not just lifting design that exists. Enjoy Art Moderne as well. 1939 New York World's Fair, or the look of Movies like "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" appeal to me. Lately I've been in the 60's and 70's modern mood!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Creativity. Is it a process or a talent? both?

I really enjoyed this speech on creativity by Monty Python legend John Cleese.
It is funny and has some very profound aspects to it. We talked about the creative process and brainstorming and this addresses that process. The mindset includes using the absurd to spur ideas and "play" with them (like suggesting making the Spaceship Earth into the Death Star).

http://vimeo.com/18913413

HMF

If you have not yet, I strongly suggest folks check out the newest D23 Magazine which has a article on DLP's 20th Anniversary. Plenty of quotes from Tony Baxter, Eddie and the rest including a quote from Main Street's current Art Director Tracy Eck talking about updating the color schemes on Main Street. Really neat stuff.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
If you have not yet, I strongly suggest folks check out the newest D23 Magazine which has a article on DLP's 20th Anniversary. Plenty of quotes from Tony Baxter, Eddie and the rest including a quote from Main Street's current Art Director Tracy Eck talking about updating the color schemes on Main Street. Really neat stuff.

Will do. Good magazine. I'm quoted? It must have been from a long time ago! I wonder what colors they "updated" to 1890? :ROFLOL: I look forward to meeting Tracy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom