Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Very nicely put, and I fully agree. The visionary knows what the public wants better/before they do.

I think you should always listen to the guest, but dream well beyond what they tell you. Exceed expectation. They expect you to as that is your job. It's always good to know your audience as that helps you in many ways, but not be limited by them either.

choco choco

Eddie, just wanted to get your thoughts on all the frames-per-second conversation going out there, with the Hobbit recently being shown in 48fps and Avatar 2 being rumored to be at 60 fps.

Douglas Trumbull talking about how film technology has gotten where they can do 3D now at 120 frames per second (now standard in aerospace simulation) with up to 30 foot Lamberts brightness, and that the effect is so realistic that it essentially negates the fact that you are looking at a screen.

I think this is the future of theme park attractions, and maybe Disney saw this and consciously is moving away from audio-animatronic, sets and staging design type rides. The Ratatouille ride is said to be all sorts of projection domes.

I mean after you look at something like this, you have to wonder if AA attractions get too clunky and limiting.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, just wanted to get your thoughts on all the frames-per-second conversation going out there, with the Hobbit recently being shown in 48fps and Avatar 2 being rumored to be at 60 fps.

Douglas Trumbull talking about how film technology has gotten where they can do 3D now at 120 frames per second (now standard in aerospace simulation) with up to 30 foot Lamberts brightness, and that the effect is so realistic that it essentially negates the fact that you are looking at a screen.

I think this is the future of theme park attractions, and maybe Disney saw this and consciously is moving away from audio-animatronic, sets and staging design type rides. The Ratatouille ride is said to be all sorts of projection domes.

I mean after you look at something like this, you have to wonder if AA attractions get too clunky and limiting.

Well, it is true that the quality of 3D is slowly being lowered and the new Transformers Ride seems to blur the lines between real and projected amazingly well. In that project you are combining ride vehicle simulation with sets that move and 3D projection, so it's not a just glorified movie, there are real show action scenes. So AA is on thin ice for the reasons you mention, or at least on notice that it will have to get way better or have a different role in the show. C3PO should be an AA for example, because he is best interpreted that way, so it's case by case.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
One question: How much did you have an influence on what kind of food the different restaurant locations would serve? I think I remember pickles being sold at the Market House Deli when I was there in 1995. And I have a full set of all the Euro Disney guide books that came out in Germany in 1992 and they mention all these interesting foods being served at different restaurants. Now the Victoria's Home-Style Restaurant serves pizza (to be fair a few other places still have interesting theme appropriate food like Hakuna Matata in Adventureland).

Yes we did. We presented concepts to the foods group and sometimes they did so to us. they are very collaborative and even do tastings as to the menu. We would provide dish designs and packaging too. We looked at the American theme and the types of Restaurants we would have (quick or table service, buffet, walk up) and we tried to develop something uniquely thematic. Which is to say Victoria's was to be "heartland" food like chicken pot pies, or Gibson Girl would be Cones and Sundaes. Walt's was to be well prepared midwestern cuisine. We discussed his favorites but they are pretty simple, like Chili. Those are American type dishes. Because of being a sit down experience, the menu got more sophisticated and high end. 25 Euros for a burger.

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/planning/dining/restaurant-menus/walts-an-american-restaurant/

Casey's was "Baseball food" which is Hot Dogs, Peanuts and of course Coca-Cola. If Pizza is served at Victoria's, I'd make it an Italian American theme and change the name and some of the props to reflect that heritage.

Of course, now the Plaza Gardens serves Martinis in addition to wine. Times have changed.
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/planning/dining/restaurant-menus/plaza-gardens-restaurant/

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
DLP Story of the Day, 20 Years out.

The weather was so cold and wet prior to opening that we could not get the paint to dry on the buildings. the surface was too moist. So they would tent the buildings with plastic sheets and then add heaters so it would hopefully dry. The paint contractors would try and fulfill their contract and number of coats no matter what, so as soon as they did, the moisture that was underneath the paint would cause it to roll off the facade. Start over. Quite a disaster. April in Paris.

lazyboy97o

But of course Pepsi was the original soft drink provider at the Magic Kingdom.

(I like Pepsi better than Coke)
Only Coca-Cola has had an exclusivity agreement with Disney. Before that both Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola could be purchased inside of Disneyland depending on where you were making your purchase. The outsourced concession system that Disneyland opened with allowed for each concession owner to make his own choice. Disney and both beverage companies were willing to have both, thus you had the Refreshment Corner presented by Coca-Cola on Main Street, USA And the Golden Horshoe presented by Pepsi-Cola in Frontierland (a slight stretch as Brad's Drink debuts in 1898, is renamed Pepsi-Cola in 1903, and the census declared the Frontier closed in 1890).

A slight majority of people do prefer Pepsi-Cola to Coca-Cola, thus the Famous Pepsi Challenge. But sometimes brad loyalty is stronger, as New Coke did better than both in taste tests but was despised by the public.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

The brands don't usually like using their old imagery, but you make them do so in the themed areas. Coke wishes Casey's would be modern as they don't want kids to see them as their parent's or grandparent's brand, but to get the sales... you have to play the game. In Tomorrowland they are more contemporary or at EPCOT. I got to roam the Coke archive and look at the old ads and early logos. It was really great to do that as they seem to have EVERYTHING. Ironically, the dark wood soda fountain backbar in the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor sponsored by Ben and Jerrys was actually inspired by the Coca-Cola designed fountains they would provide to shops and stores.

http://www.passporter.com/photos/di...land-paris-gibson-girl-ice-cream-parlour.html

http://www.coca-colaconversations.com/my_weblog/2008/09/1880s-coca-cola.html

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Today's tale of 20 years ago.

My Aunt Marilyn Sotto used to be a Costume Designer/Illustrator for the Studios. She worked on lots of films and also did hotel uniforms and showgirl costumes. Here's her story. Very fun and interesting lady.

http://livedesignonline.com/mag/show_business_marilyn_sotto/

On DLP I heard they were looking for the costuming to be more theatrical and less uniform like. We had lunch an suggested to her that she may enjoy working at Disney. Soon after she told me that she was hired to design costuming for DLP! We ended up working together! How cool was that? She stayed on to work at WDW and retired as the lead designer a year or so ago.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Inside Story 1992.

This facade was created for DLP and is a good example of "romanticized design". One of my favorites. True to history, but something about it's spirit just "grins" back at you. It's playful to a degree.

The moldings and proportion are slightly exaggerated beyond normal to give the building a chunky look and cast dramatic shadows. The set designer who worked with me on this facade came from Warner Bros. His name was Lester Gobruggie and was close to 80 when he worked with us. He drew beautifully and that came through in the details. In the early days of Hollywood, film was "slow", meaning you had to pour lots of light onto the actors and scenery to get a decent exposure. The designers of sets back then exaggerated the moldings, window recesses, etc. a bit to get more depth and shadow on film. The facades look cheap and flat otherwise. I noticed this rich proportion on DL's Main Street wanted to emulate that charm and scale. We did the same here and it makes the buildings chunky and a bit charming. Like meringue, you should be able to "break the moldings off and eat them"!

Attachments

• Lille-0263.jpg
    Lille-0263.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 73

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
A slight majority of people do prefer Pepsi-Cola to Coca-Cola, thus the Famous Pepsi Challenge. But sometimes brad loyalty is stronger, as New Coke did better than both in taste tests but was despised by the public.

I read that on first taste the New Coke did better but over the course of drinking it, it was less preferable. I think this was in one of the Gladwell books. This would make sense as you buy and consume it, not for a small sample but in quantity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom