Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

MarkTwain

I think I get what you're saying... none of the ideas floated in recent years, let alone built, has the astounding "wow" value that PotC did back in 1967. Where is the "wow" value of 2011? Obviously, not an AA extravaganza. It's hard to say what it SHOULD be, except to note that anyone stepping off it will immediately decide to get right back in line. Probably dazed to the point where they aren't quite sure WHAT they just saw, but knew they had to see it again.

Somebody please hire Eddie so he can build his ideas!!

^ I think Harry Potter was that way for a lot of people (it was for me). The way AAs would get in your face, the flying scenes, the way the track or other vehicles were never visible, so it felt like it was "just you" on the ride... the ride truly had an amazement value that might be described as approaching that of Pirates of 1967.

And you don't think a new ride could be an AAstravaganza? I think it could be done... for a price. Imagine a Pirates-sized cast of AAs in the league of Jack Sparrow, or Ursula from the new Little Mermaid... put them in sets as deep, elaborate and devloped as Pirates (or bigger!)... put in a faster and innovative paced ride system, like the KUKA or a souped-up Peter Pan flying vehicle... and an elaborate theme to tie it together, and you might have the Pirates of the 21st century. I could actually imagine Disney attempting something like this with a Marvel property... flying through the streets as Ironman, or something like that.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think I get what you're saying... none of the ideas floated in recent years, let alone built, has the astounding "wow" value that PotC did back in 1967. Where is the "wow" value of 2011?

I remember as a kid that Mr. Toad was my favorite ride, or maybe the reverent awe of Lincoln or the unfolding surprise of Tiki Room. That was just the beginning. Pirates was the kind of show that just when you thought it could not possibly go on, it did. It immersed you in another world. None of us could believe how long it was. Rides were a minute or so, not 15! Add a New Tomorrowland to all of those shows from the NYWF and Disneyland was completely reinvented with a new platform of AA entertainment. Before that you had carnival dark rides. It was the iPhone to a StarTac. More or refinements are not the answer IMO, it's breakthrough. Take me to Westworld.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
A number of the recent topics here - crowds hurting the park experience, using the parks as canvas for magiquest-type games, and what is the game-changer - brings to mind the Jungle Trek/Night Kingdom concept.

From the marketing/test survey materials:

"Get ready for The Jungle Trek, the newest premium vacation experience by Disney. Set off on a guided expedition through the wilds of the world, discovering natural beauty and the magic of faraway places. Explore these exotic locations and have the exciting hands-on adventures you have always wanted to have. And do it all in one place, all in one day … all by taking The Jungle Trek!

Your five (5) hour experience will be an eye-opening adventure from the moment it begins:
Set off on The Jungle Trek, a one-of-a-kind two (2) hour adventure experience. From crossing rickety bridges or navigating narrow paths, to encountering rare animals upclose and discovering the hidden secrets of ancient ruins, there are unbelievable experiences at each stage of your journey. Work together with your small expedition party to do things that few ever get to do… and that you will never forget.
Arrive in the Global Village, where you can spend the next three (3) hours resting, relaxing and exploring further. From animals to architecture, from entertainment to more ziplining thrills - you choose how best to enjoy all that this intimate Village offers.
And don't forget to stop by the Marketplace for a casual, festive dining atmosphere filled with the flavours and foods from each of the regions. Pick what you like and then find a comfortable spot in the Village to enjoy. And you are welcome to return for more whenever you like.

The Jungle Trek is a real adventure made accessible by Disney magic:
Throughout the jungle expedition, you choose whether to tackle each hands-on challenge or take a less intense but equally spectacular path. So, your family can enjoy the journey together while each person has exactly the experience he or she wants to have.
And no matter what path you choose, you can rest assured that Disney is focused on your safety and comfort. Your safety harness and your personal guide can make sure that you have an amazing adventure.
Children as young as 7 years old can participate in The Jungle Trek.
Guests with disabilities who are able to maneuver themselves with limited assistance can also participate.

The Jungle Trek is a premium, exclusive experience:
Your very own personal adventure guide leads your expedition party of around 8 people through the wild. Learn about adventure and the natural world from this experienced explorer.
Since only a limited number of guests will take the Trek each day, enjoy it all with no lines, no crowds, and no waits.
A single admission price that includes all the elements of this exclusive experience - the Jungle Trek, the Global Village, the live shows, soft drinks, and the global cuisine!

Preparing for the Jungle Trek is easy:
Reservations are required for this premium, limited-capacity experience. Either go online, call Disney's reservation agents, or contact your travel agent to schedule your visit.
You can select the date and time of your departure on The Jungle Trek, There are Treks departing throughout the day and into the night.

There's never been an experience like The Jungle Trek - where you can write your own story, achieving things you never imagined, going on adventures few people ever get to go on … and doing it all in one day, all in one place. So, are you ready to begin your journey?

Exploring Cambodian ruins
Zipline into Tropical Americas
Observing and feeding river hippos
Observing and feeding bats
Passing through the Lions Canyon
Trek through the Tropical Americas rainforest
Riding a boat into Tropical Americas
Riding a boat out of Africa
Encountering awakening spirits in the Spirit House
Enjoying authentic, live entertainment throughout the Global Village
Taking a break at the Lodge rest area
Passing through the Throne Room over teetering stone columns
Enjoying a range of global cuisine in the Marketplace
Enjoying Mayan temple ruins
Getting up close and personal with penguins and tortoises on the beach
Crossing the tightrope bridge over tigers
Crossing the suspended bridge over crocodiles
Walking with kangaroos through the Australian outback
Walking through the head-high grass in the African Savannah"

I guess we'll have to make it a point to try this...

Jeanine

You know, I think I remember going on the Soapbox Racer--did you have to hold on to a grip on the outside of the car? I have a vague memory of a satisfyingly rattle-y ride followed by arm bruises. The motorcycle ride looks awesomely dangerous however--I would have loved to have ridden that.

It does seem to me that, not only has there not been anything more impressive than PoC, there really hasn't been much even comparable. I do think part of it is the length--it takes a little time to really get an atmosphere or a sense of place going, and modern concerns about loadtime or the often-mentioned "public's shortened attention span" seem to dictate nothing lasts more than a couple minutes.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
You know, I think I remember going on the Soapbox Racer--did you have to hold on to a grip on the outside of the car? I have a vague memory of a satisfyingly rattle-y ride followed by arm bruises. The motorcycle ride looks awesomely dangerous however--I would have loved to have ridden that.

It does seem to me that, not only has there not been anything more impressive than PoC, there really hasn't been much even comparable. I do think part of it is the length--it takes a little time to really get an atmosphere or a sense of place going, and modern concerns about loadtime or the often-mentioned "public's shortened attention span" seem to dictate nothing lasts more than a couple minutes.

You did hold on to a bar inside the car, then later they opened up the body with some holes. Very rough ride but fun.

POTC is a slow build and very atmospheric. Night was a big deal, moving clouds, etc. the fireflies. Details abound. It was the first ride to create a realism that was relievable and immersive. Black light gave way to moonlight.

Disneyland had fully realized it's cinematic inspiration. Walt gave us the "Backlot" in 1955 with the "lands" and streets of "facades", then he took us inside the "Sound Stage" with Pirates. What we call "show buildings" are actually disguised sound stages as they contain scenery you ride through. BTW- The whole notion of passing a Restaurant inside the ride was a "wow" in of itself. We could not believe that those people were not part of the show. things we take for granted today.

Mansion Butler

(but there are those who love AK, love every bush and element, and see the environment as the show).
Me.

:D

BTW- The whole notion of passing a Restaurant inside the ride was a "wow" in of itself. We could not believe that those people were not part of the show. things we take for granted today.
I still love this. It's something I miss about our pirates, and something I love about Mexico and Pinocchio's Village Haus and, to an extent, the Garden Grille. I'll sit in the Village Haus just watching Small World boats go by, because I can.

I wish it were an element used more often.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Me.

:D

I still love this. It's something I miss about our pirates, and something I love about Mexico and Pinocchio's Village Haus and, to an extent, the Garden Grille. I'll sit in the Village Haus just watching Small World boats go by, because I can.

I wish it were an element used more often.

What may be interesting about this, is the notion of mixing real behavior with artificial.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
iPads in use by WDI design team in New Fantasyland.

I think this is great that the Imagineers have access to this kind of technology! The ability to host a meeting while in the field to solve a problem right away is invaluable! It has got to save them huge amounts of time.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think this is great that the Imagineers have access to this kind of technology! The ability to host a meeting while in the field to solve a problem right away is invaluable! It has got to save them huge amounts of time.

You'd hope so. Maybe the next innovation does away with hosting lots of meetings so those in the field can make decisions on the spot!

NoChesterHester

There are a lot of us in the construction industry using this type of visualization and building information modeling. Autodesk recently released Autocad WS, a visualization tool for mobile devices. You can download it for free from your friendly app store.

The future of communication in the construction industry is at light speed. There isn't patience for the historic process.

That is both good and bad... we all have to adjust.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
There are a lot of us in the construction industry using this type of visualization and building information modeling. Autodesk recently released Autocad WS, a visualization tool for mobile devices. You can download it for free from your friendly app store.

The future of communication in the construction industry is at light speed. There isn't patience for the historic process.

That is both good and bad... we all have to adjust.

Thanks. IPad images are hard to see in bright sun. I was on a job site last week and had a hard time sharing the screen as the image was hard to see, Hope the newer ones fix that. Of course, nothing beats a good set of drawings. You either write the check up front to get things right and get all the parties involved, or you rush out bad information and end up redoing things in the field. :brick:

Our Sotto Studios workflow is almost 100% digital in that I usually draw on a Wacom Cintiq tablet and everything is reviewed via servers or email. No scanning and printing. I can make notes and simple markups almost anywhere from an iPad with a stylus. Looking at the new Windows based ASUS tablet with a better stylus interface for that purpose. All of our artists are connected the same way. Very time and cost effective. Have not looked at the Autodesk app, although we use Sketchbook Pro from them.

EPCOTCenterLover

Just to reply to an earlier poster... the Motorcycle Chase (I think that was the name) was great fun as well. The danger element of sitting up vs down gave it a different kind of thrill. I bet the hourly capacity was very low for both...

prattler

To go back a little bit in the conversation, it was being discussed what theme parks of the future will have to utilize to capture guests' imagination like what PotC did when it first opened. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the game Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, but there is a rather large fanbase for it that creates its own custom scenery, cars, rides, etc, and the creativity of some of these people is rather impressive. If you ever have some time, peruse these people's dark ride tracks:

http://www.revolutionaryrides.net/ContentList.html

The Fear Faller X2 is quite impressive.

With the advent of the Th13teen coaster at Alton Towers, how much do you think a new ride system is key to bringing in guests? Do you think anyone would ever have the budget to create attractions as large and detailed as what some people can create in-game?

NoChesterHester

I am fascinated by experiences like Discovery Cove and the planned, but never executed Night Kingdom. The boutique park experience really could be the future... customizable. Variable. Interactive.

We are starting to see these experiences creep into the existing properties in things like Kim Possible and the rumored Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. There is a logical evolution of this, a whole park experience built around you as part of the story, not just playing witness.

I'm obviously not talking about the typical theme park storyline of "observers" on a ride when "things go awry.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I am fascinated by experiences like Discovery Cove and the planned, but never executed Night Kingdom. The boutique park experience really could be the future... customizable. Variable. Interactive.

We are starting to see these experiences creep into the existing properties in things like Kim Possible and the rumored Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. There is a logical evolution of this, a whole park experience built around you as part of the story, not just playing witness.

I'm obviously not talking about the typical theme park storyline of "observers" on a ride when "things go awry.

No doubt, this is all part of the next wave of entertainment. Boutique parks intrigue me as more is possible. Having to run the masses through something limits the options of what you can do. Technology is catching up to the creative pretty fast as a Smartphone and a Cloud can deliver most anything.

NoChesterHester

No doubt, this is all part of the next wave of entertainment. Boutique parks intrigue me as more is possible. Having to run the masses through something limits the options of what you can do. Technology is catching up to the creative pretty fast as a Smartphone and a Cloud can deliver most anything.

The answer may be that like Discovery Cove it isn't a place for the masses. It is Adventures by Disney on a small theme park scale with a set attendance. I 'm not suggesting exclusivity, just that you would have to make a reservation.

As for the devices and speed if technology, isn't it really like experience at arms length? I love my smartphone, but it isn't exactly immersive. The blending of the two could be truly magical.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
The answer may be that like Discovery Cove it isn't a place for the masses. It is Adventures by Disney on a small theme park scale with a set attendance. I 'm not suggesting exclusivity, just that you would have to make a reservation.

As for the devices and speed if technology, isn't it really like experience at arms length? I love my smartphone, but it isn't exactly immersive. The blending of the two could be truly magical.

It can be, but if it's an enabler to add to the physical experience of the park itself, it can be good. It should not be in place of the immersive world, it should enhance it. I.E. If you could call and chat with the "residents" in the upstairs windows of Main Street, it would enhance your belief the street was populated. The "blending" is the hard part and that's what I've been working on. Making technology more social and less divisive. Bring the family together to share information, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom