Echo Lake Refurbishment

rd805

My last visit to Hollywood Studios was mid Sep and the lake being drained sealed it that this park looks awful. The only good things going are Star Tours, TofT and Rockin’Roller Coaster. If they put a Christmas tree in the middle of a dry lake then it is official the person in charge of this refurb is clueless about maintaining and creating Disney Magic.

I agree, it's a joke to be doing this lol. Why not put more force and manpower / time / effort into Star Wars GE or the Mickey Ride and speed up those projects? I obviously don't think it will dramatically decrease time until opening, but what 3-4 weeks earlier would be huge for them!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I agree, it's a joke to be doing this lol. Why not put more force and manpower / time / effort into Star Wars GE or the Mickey Ride and speed up those projects? I obviously don't think it will dramatically decrease time until opening, but what 3-4 weeks earlier would be huge for them!

As yucky as the empty lake looks, it would probably look worse if they put up the walls they normally do to hide backstage work. Plus, it would block the views of the nighttime shows from across the lake.

All the construction is painful medicine to get much better later. The lake-work is to make the lake look extra special for Christmas. And they're doubling down on making DHS special for Christmas, like when they had the Osborne Lights. You'll have Echo Lake decorations, Jingle BAM! back, and the Sunset decorations, snow, and projected shows.

As to hurrying things up: They went gang-busters on Toy Story Land. Though the grand opening is expected to be on Memorial Day (see my sig) they pushed through construction such that we're expecting maybe as much as two months of previews and soft openings. And as much as certain 'insiders' were claiming that WDW was going to drag out the construction of SWGE and be more than a year behind Disneyland, DHS' SWGE looks like it will be open in six months or less after DL's.

hpyhnt 1000

Drove by Holoday Services the other day and all of the trees were out on flatbeds awaiting delivery. If the base is any indication, this will be an enormous tree.

So it's a new tree then, and not just the old DHS tree moved to the island? That's a nice plus.

Here's hoping it gets the same level of decoration and detail as the Disney Springs icon tree that debuted last year, rather than the sparser look of some of the other theme park trees. *cough*MagicKingdom*cough*

jmuboy

So it's a new tree then, and not just the old DHS tree moved to the island? That's a nice plus.

Here's hoping it gets the same level of decoration and detail as the Disney Springs icon tree that debuted last year, rather than the sparser look of some of the other theme park trees. *cough*MagicKingdom*cough*

The MK tree is an embarrassing joke.

ToTBellHop

I know there will be a tree on the island this year. I just don't think we have confirmation that it won't be the tree that's usually outside the gates just moved to the island.
As far as I know, they made a new one. They certainly budgeted for one. There is a general plan to spruce up all non-specific holiday-that-definitely-isn’t-just-Christmas decorations property-wide that has been underway.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know there will be a tree on the island this year. I just don't think we have confirmation that it won't be the tree that's usually outside the gates just moved to the island.

Hmmm... that has me thinkin'... If they're creating a special place for a Christmas tree inside the park, that might be a sign of extensive renovations of the entrance to DHS to come thanks to the gondola lift station. Knowing that the wide open space and central garden might be going bye-bye, either temporarily or permanently, they're making sure a Christmas tree has a place in the park. And it's smart to put it in the lake since there's little room to put it elsewhere in the park that won't get in the way. (Also, the reflection of the lights in the water will be pretty.)

peter11435

As far as I know, they made a new one. They certainly budgeted for one. There is a general plan to spruce up all non-specific holiday-that-definitely-isn’t-just-Christmas decorations property-wide that has been underway.
I know the tree sitting outside holiday services currently appears to be the same one from years past. The tree itself may be new but the decorations and garland were the same.

I know last year there was a significant increase/return of decorations to resort food and beverage locations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom