Earfell Tower to be removed

FigmentPigments

It has to do with its positioning within the legacy of the park, and therefore the Walt Disney World resort as a whole.

As the original Icon of the Studios, many guests who visited in the late 80's-most of the 90's connected with it as a significant structure within the property and a symbol of Walt Disney World - one that, despite losing the title of official Studios Icon, retained its emotional charge with that group of guests by remaining in the park even as the "World" changed around it.

In a park that's been grappling with an identity crisis for the better part of 15 years now, it's stood as a symbol of what was when that park was decisive, and a reminder of a time where things were looking up for the resort. After 27 years, it makes sense that to many it is no longer just a "fake water tower", much in the way that Cinderella Castle is not just "a fake castle". It means something when you see it - for many, seeing the Tower was part of coming home to the place they grew up.

That place has been changing for a while now, but the Tower was always there. It makes a statement about the park to remove it, and while it's probably a sign of great progress it does also mean letting go of part of "home", and that's not always easy.
I agree. I was happy to hear they were finally taking down the hat because I assumed the Earful Tower would come back as the icon. I was really looking forward to that. I guess that's what I get for assuming (insert joke here). To me it was always the rightful icon, and I always thought that was the best representation of the Studios. I wish I could as accurately express my feelings on the matter like yensidtlaw1969 did, but I don't think progress should mean losing a little part of home. Again, I know not everyone feels the same, but I will miss it.

Phicinfan

I agree. I was happy to hear they were finally taking down the hat because I assumed the Earful Tower would come back as the icon. I was really looking forward to that. I guess that's what I get for assuming (insert joke here). To me it was always the rightful icon, and I always thought that was the best representation of the Studios. I wish I could as accurately express my feelings on the matter like yensidtlaw1969 did, but I don't think progress should mean losing a little part of home. Again, I know not everyone feels the same, but I will miss it.
With respect, since the park is moving away from the movie theme and studio theme, to more "hollywood" itself...does the Earful tower really represent? I wouldn't be shocked if they go Hollywood adventures to see a mountain and Hollywood sign added once the expansions are done.

Brian Swan

Okay, so you would have seen it while walking around the backlot.
Actually, there was no "walking" around the back lot; virtually everything in purple (yes, including SOA) was only accessible on the back lot tour tram - and areas were subject to closure if something was being filmed. The original version of the tour was very cool; what it became by the time they closed it was pathetic...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

No, you are not alone. Although I was sad to see the BAH go, I thought the Tower would return as the icon. And then I saw the new 4 parks pin with ToT representing DHS. Always thought the Tower was so Disney.

HauntedMansionFLA

Personally I doubt it. It would probably end up costing just as much to carefully take the DHS one apart, re-theme/refurbish it, transport it to DS and re-build it. I also don't think it's the same scale as one that is shown in DS artwork.
Okay, I just heard that it was rumored that it might be heading that way. Thanks :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom