Dwarfs mine train

MerlinTheGoat

Yes it's too short, and yes 40 seconds more would provide a substantial improvement over what we got considering coaster and dark ride length (negligible for a lengthy ride like Pirates, Mansion or Splash but it's a substantial extra amount of time for a coaster). The original Snow White also didn't have consistent 70+ minute waits despite its brevity. I don't even think the extra time needed to be dedicated to the coaster part, but more show scenes. The original track layout was supposed to have two additional show scenes inside the mountain (and the concept art hints they had some outdoor scenes we didn't end up getting), and had a longer track overall.

The AA's are quite good (and a good thing they didn't go with the simple figures they were going to go with, that would have been even more disappointing) as is the scene they're in. But as someone said in another thread this ride is kind of like if Splash Mountain only had one show scene and then the big drop (only the big drop in this case being about 1/3 the size). Would be a let down, and it's the problem with this ride. It's also unfortunate that the ending scene in the cottage is so difficult to see inside of. What should have been provided is at least 4 show scenes like the one inside the mountain with that caliber of figures (instead we got one scene with good new AA's and another scene with mostly recycled ones from the original ride). They should be ashamed for even considering such primitive figures in the first place for the main show scene of the centerpiece ride of a 21st century Disney park project, thank heavens good taste and sense prevailed in one aspect of the ride. But we shouldn't have to set expectations so low that it seems like the second coming when they actually make one scene that comes close to touching what they made 20-30 years ago or more. At the very least set your expectations to Splash Mountain standards for a brand spanking new 21st century Disney ride, not just being grateful that one small part of it turned out better than a dark ride using early-mid 1900's technology. It comes nowhere close to Splash Mountain or even Big Thunder standards. The nice AA's saved the ride in my eyes from being a failure and transformed what would have been a meh to ok ride to something solid and good at least. But they do not bring it up to par with what it was intended to be, and should have been.

And being better than meet and greets is not a free pass out of criticism. Most rides (even ancient primitive Disney dark rides from the 1950's, all but the worst) are preferable to that crap. The original plan did indeed contain a meet and greet for the area instead, but remember that it also did not include the loss of the original Snow White ride. We did not get an additional ride in the last minute change to FLE, simply a trade out for losing the original Snow White and its precious ride space to a wasteful meet and greet (same can be said about Mermaid being a belated replacement to 20k Leagues).

I actually found the views very limited and nothing special at all. And this is coming from a tall (6'4") guy. The rockwork is kind of built up around the trains and obscures most of any potential view of the park. The outdoor theming is also a bit lacking in places compared to what the various pieces of concept art were teasing. Night time lighting is also disappointing.

Last edited:

gitchard

It has landscape and rock, those are not really details. It has figures with limited movement and the same lousy flat, overly bright faces like Buzz Lightyear or Constance. It just doesn't do anything but go around in a circle.

Calling it a kiddie coaster is accurate and a legitimate response to Disney's false hype of the wildness that would be brought about from free swinging. The cars instead tend to just gentle roll into the turns and there is barely a hint of the promised free swinging.

Disney said from the start that the intensity would be between Barnstormer and Thunder Mountain. It is what they said it would be.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
In the same breath that people criticize Disney for not putting more complex AA and greater numbers of AA into new rides, they will also criticize Disney for not being able to properly maintain what they already do have. That sort of baffles me.

lazyboy97o

In the same breath that people criticize Disney for not putting more complex AA and greater numbers of AA into new rides, they will also criticize Disney for not being able to properly maintain what they already do have. That sort of baffles me.
Why? Is Disney again some small company risking it all? Disney's maintenance sucks because they choose for it to suck.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Why? Is Disney again some small company risking it all? Disney's maintenance sucks because they choose for it to suck.
Classic attractions with simpler, older AA such as POTC, Splash, and World of Motion (RIP) are often cited as masterpieces. Newer AA are much more complicated, and thus have more at can and will go wrong.

Now you put those into a park like AK that has so little in attraction offerings as it is, and now when something goes wrong, they don't want to take the time to close a headliner attraction because of the risk of losing a ton of money due to poor attendance.

That's why things don't sit there stagnant at MK. If something goes wrong, they can fix it and fix it right because there are still 30 other popular attractions in the park. EPCOT used to operate the same way until they exchanged Omnimover based storytelling attractions for 4 minute thrill rides with long lines.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Classic attractions with simpler, older AA such as POTC, Splash, and World of Motion (RIP) are often cited as masterpieces. Newer AA are much more complicated, and thus have more at can and will go wrong.

Now you put those into a park like AK that has so little in attraction offerings as it is, and now when something goes wrong, they don't want to take the time to close a headliner attraction because of the risk of losing a ton of money due to poor attendance.

That's why things don't sit there stagnant at MK. If something goes wrong, they can fix it and fix it right because there are still 30 other popular attractions in the park. EPCOT used to operate the same way until they exchanged Omnimover based storytelling attractions for 4 minute thrill rides with long lines.

I am sure people can come up with many examples of things that were left broken in MK.

lazyboy97o

Much could be done to signature show elements at Disney's Animal Kingdom without closing attractions. You're just trying to make excuses.

AmberFaith90

I read all the bad reviews of SDMT before I went in September. I was expecting something really awful, but much to my delight...I found it to be cute and fun. My 4 year old thought it was exciting. The ride was both short and long enough for her.

tcool

My Brother and cousins told me it was not worth a 30 minutes wait not even 15 minutes. So naturally I thought it would completely horrendous, but 7DMT was very fun, it's also a very fun queue especially the interactive parts I could play the gem sorting game a bunch of times. Overall it's one of my favorite rides at MK

Little Green Men

Yes.

It's a cute D Ticket, but for the price it cost and the time it took to build it is hugely underwhelming.
I'm not saying I'd be against it being longer, but 2 minutes isn't that short. Its twice as long as the Barnstormer. I agree it took a long time but I'm satisfied that we at least got this instead of an elaborate M & G with the old SWSA staying as originally planned.

draybook

I'm not saying I'd be against it being longer, but 2 minutes isn't that short. Its twice as long as the Barnstormer. I agree it took a long time but I'm satisfied that we at least got this instead of an elaborate M & G with the old SWSA staying as originally planned.

People being "satisfied" with what they get is exactly what allows Iger and his crew to toss out garbage with no remorse or shame.

Little Green Men

People being "satisfied" with what they get is exactly what allows Iger and his crew to toss out garbage with no remorse or shame.
Well if it were garbage I would be unsatisfied. I'm unsatisfied that they didn't replace SWSA with another ride, but I'd prefer a new ride in the expansion than a new m & g area and an old ride still there.

I_heart_Tigger

At least reading this thread has prepared me for a short "kiddie" coaster on my trip next month. Maybe I'll be impressed when I actually get on it.

Out of curiosity - "short" seems to be the most common complaint about the attraction. Is it shorter than RnR? I find that one to go by really fast. If it's shorter than that I admit I'll be a little disappointed. If it's longer I think I'll be ok with that given the actual size of the structure (I saw it in building stage in January so I have an idea of the size)

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
At least reading this thread has prepared me for a short "kiddie" coaster on my trip next month. Maybe I'll be impressed when I actually get on it.

Out of curiosity - "short" seems to be the most common complaint about the attraction. Is it shorter than RnR? I find that one to go by really fast. If it's shorter than that I admit I'll be a little disappointed. If it's longer I think I'll be ok with that given the actual size of the structure (I saw it in building stage in January so I have an idea of the size)
It's longer than RnR. It's about 2:15.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom