Dunkin Donuts, PLEASE!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wrong. I promise. I'm the guy who brewed the coffee all through high school and for the first two summers of college. I've worked fast food in Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Illinois, plus an internship at McDonald's world headquarters. I'm absolutely positive that the Standard Operating Procedures for coffee are regional, not national standards.
But did you work for DD? (which was what I was specifically talking about) I did, granted it was many moons ago, but at that time every single DD in Jacksonville used the exact same beans, equipment, etc as specified by the franchise. I have no doubt that other places do things differently but it has been my experience that DD, at least in this particular city, the DD holds to a fairly firm set of procedures.

wizards8507

Are you sure? I've worked for a cafe/bakery chain (Panera Bread or St. Louis Bread Co depending where you are) and coffee is standard. It's in all the manuals and the online training videos. I'd assume a place that takes so much pride in their coffee (like P. Bread) would want to keep quality up, therefore keeping variability down.

I'm not really questioning you. I'm just surprised.

Positive. For example:

http://www.justroasted.com/a/j/javamans-blog/40-mcdonalds-to-keep-organic-coffee-line-in-600-stores

inluvwithbeast

That's really interesting. Now a days, companies want everything standard and uniform, so when you go get a sandwich at a fast food place, you know exactly what to expect. I would think coffee would be the same way.

At Panera, we used to grind our beans in-house but apparently there was too much variability for corporates liking so they started sending us the little vacuumed packed pre-ground bags. The only thing we did differently was our managers insisted we leave the coffee out 2 hrs instead of the company standard 1 hr. Ew.

It's kinda refeshing to know that some places still cater to regional tastes.

ddbowdoin

Dunkin Donuts sucks... and it was started in my home state, probably 15 mins from my house. They douse their coffee in cream and sugar, masking the flavor of coffee. Order it black, or with milk and low on the sugar and you can taste water. As a corporation they have paired up with Bunn is developing methods that squeeze every drop of liquid from their beans and hence the taste of water... its bad news. There are so many other and better options than dunks.

ddbowdoin

That's really interesting. Now a days, companies want everything standard and uniform, so when you go get a sandwich at a fast food place, you know exactly what to expect. I would think coffee would be the same way.

At Panera, we used to grind our beans in-house but apparently there was too much variability for corporates liking so they started sending us the little vacuumed packed pre-ground bags. The only thing we did differently was our managers insisted we leave the coffee out 2 hrs instead of the company standard 1 hr. Ew.

It's kinda refeshing to know that some places still cater to regional tastes.

the newmans /green mnt is delicious... blows dunks well out of the water.

JillC LI

My hubby would love it if DD came to Disney. He always get a hot cup of coffee and puts ice in it at breakfast because he can't find iced coffee anywhere at Disney. As for me, I don't drink coffee, and I'd much rather snack on Disney treats than the DD treats I can get any time at home.

njdan

Well as im from NJ also i know my wife would love dunkin donuts ( kids would too-- her coffe them donuts, not that are are not enough treats at disney LOL)

loveofamouse

BTW yes there is regional variations. Why? Because you have different PEOPLE in different restaurants. Employees are a factor in flavor. Same reason why some BKs have better fries than others. Where I am now, the McDs makes crappy fries. Yeah, it's the same product. Same "rules" for cooking. Doesn't mean each person does it right, serves it right, or tosses when it's gone bad

wizards8507

Every single DD in Jacksonville used the exact same beans, equipment, etc as specified by the franchise. I have no doubt that other places do things differently but it has been my experience that DD, at least in this particular city, the DD holds to a fairly firm set of procedures.

I'm sure they did. And those were probably the same standards for every location in the Southeast. These companies operate by region. I'm not sure where the borders of the regions are, but there are certain rules that are national, and certain rules that each region is free to adjust based on local preferences.

bgraham34

Dunkin Donuts sucks... and it was started in my home state, probably 15 mins from my house. They douse their coffee in cream and sugar, masking the flavor of coffee. Order it black, or with milk and low on the sugar and you can taste water. As a corporation they have paired up with Bunn is developing methods that squeeze every drop of liquid from their beans and hence the taste of water... its bad news. There are so many other and better options than dunks.

We actually bought a Keurig because of how bad they have been. We know hit local coffee shops if we are out and enjoy them much better.

mrerk

Premium Member
We always venture out to the Dunkins on 192 near the entrance to Celebration when we really need an iced coffee. It's really not that far off property.

mrerk

Premium Member
There is also one about a block away from the end of Hotel Plaza Blvd.

I was just looking at the Dunkins map. It looks like there are 2 near there, one left from Hotel Plaza Blvd and one right.

We usually go to the one in Kissimmee because my wife likes the Publix that is near there.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was just looking at the Dunkins map. It looks like there are 2 near there, one left from Hotel Plaza Blvd and one right.

We usually go to the one in Kissimmee because my wife likes the Publix that is near there.
The more the merrier!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I go by 3 on my 3 mile commute.
You are lucky. They literally do not exist on my side of town anymore. They built one a couple of blocks from my house a couple of years ago but it never opened. It is now a Chinese take out place which fits in quite well with the other 5 on the same mile long stretch of road.:brick:

powlessfamily4

Sorry for the third post in a row, but I didn't read before I started posting. Caffeine DOES cause dehydration, but who cares? Cheesecake and ice cream make you fat but they serve them all over the place. Turkey legs make you fat AND dry you out. Spending hours on messages boards makes you fat and dries out your brain. Let's allow the consumers to make their own decisions instead of coddling them into the "right" way to eat and drink. No... you're right... Let's start banning everything.

No no no... we must never ban coffee LOL I was not saying ban it... the post asked why they didn't serve cold coffees.. I was merely stating it may because of dehydration..... who knows. I am all for them :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom