Dunkin Donuts, PLEASE!

wizards8507

Dunkin Donuts is terrible. They have cut back so much over the years. The donuts are all dough and no filling. The coffee is becoming watered down and they changed and or clean the filters less often. The prices have jumped up as well.

As I mentioned previously, Dunkin Donuts in New Jersey is NOT the same stuff that we drink in New England. You're correct when you say it's watered down in your area (and the rest of the country southwest of Connecticut).

Mickey_777

The DD iced caramel latte is one of the best cold latte's around. Pretty consistent in the way it's made wherever you go too...

dreamfinder

Dunkin Donuts is terrible. They have cut back so much over the years. The donuts are all dough and no filling. The coffee is becoming watered down and they changed and or clean the filters less often. The prices have jumped up as well.

It also depends on the franchise. My DW has a few locations that she swears makes better DD coffee than the others. Not sure if the particular franchisee just makes it stronger while the others cut back or what.

ajt5027

Now a large Starbucks at DTD would be perfect! Have a nice big upstairs where people can sit, maybe do some work w/free WiFi, overlooking the water. I think the decor would fit right in, either on the Westside or the Marketplace. My Hyperion Wharf will have one, I mean Starbucks did start in wharf.

Although, if I'm not mistaken the Swan and Dolphin have a bucks...or at least serve Starbucks coffee. I could be wrong.

Phonedave

It also depends on the franchise. My DW has a few locations that she swears makes better DD coffee than the others. Not sure if the particular franchisee just makes it stronger while the others cut back or what.

I doubt it.

From what I have seen, it is all pre-measured. They take a standard, pre-factory measured, pack-o-coffee and dump it in the top. Then they push a button. The machine is pre-calibrated to dispense a set measure of water (at a set temperature) into the grounds, making a standard strenght pot of coffee.

While it may be true, I seriously think all this talk of regional variation is a lot of perceived (but not actual) differences. I have had Dunkin Donuts coffee up and down the Eastern seaboard. Really, no difference.

Uniformity has become the hallmark of United States mass dining. Franchises / Chains want, nay demand, uniformity in product. From coffee shops to sub shops, to restaruants, most strive for consistency. Go into an Appleby's or Fridays, or Romanos, or PF Chang's in one town and it will be the same as in another town, unless there are some 'permitted' regional specials. Heck, have you ever watched them make a sandwich at Quizno's? They will tear a square inch off of a slice of meat in order to make the sandwich the correct weight. Thats just crazy.

-dave

Lucky

I doubt it.

From what I have seen, it is all pre-measured. They take a standard, pre-factory measured, pack-o-coffee and dump it in the top. Then they push a button. The machine is pre-calibrated to dispense a set measure of water (at a set temperature) into the grounds, making a standard strenght pot of coffee.

While it may be true, I seriously think all this talk of regional variation is a lot of perceived (but not actual) differences. I have had Dunkin Donuts coffee up and down the Eastern seaboard. Really, no difference.

Uniformity has become the hallmark of United States mass dining. Franchises / Chains want, nay demand, uniformity in product. From coffee shops to sub shops, to restaruants, most strive for consistency. Go into an Appleby's or Fridays, or Romanos, or PF Chang's in one town and it will be the same as in another town, unless there are some 'permitted' regional specials. Heck, have you ever watched them make a sandwich at Quizno's? They will tear a square inch off of a slice of meat in order to make the sandwich the correct weight. Thats just crazy.

-dave
Franchises operate under strict rules set by corporate, to protect the brand. Otherwise local franchises would tend to cut quality in order to cut costs, running down the brand.

juniorthomas

I'm sure a lot of people would like a DD in The World, but I can't imagine Disney getting on board with the idea due to the whole unhealthy image of donuts. Of course, a lot of the food Disney sells isn't necessarily much better for you...

Iteachwood

Original Poster
Ahhhhh a Rhode Islander! You know from where I speak. Its more the ICED COFFEEs and Coolatas on those hot summer days. Coke Pruducts? Give me a break.....DD Ice Coffee..A WINNER!

Iteachwood

Original Poster
My whole point was that selling ICED coffee and ICE COLD COFFEE,STRAWBERRY Coolatas in Disney during summer days would be a gold mine. There just isnt ANYTHING in disney to match it ! I just can't believe the idea hasn't crossed DD to try to incorporate there drinks into Disney ( NOW, maybe they have and were turned down by Disney exects)..I know If I could open up one on Main St myself I would be set $$$ for Life! What a perfect vmatch...Disneyworld and DD !!!!!

MansionGoer13z

Krispy Kreme has better doughnuts. :shrug:

Not a coffee drinker though.

Same here, and while we're on the subject of Rita's as well, Maryland has maybe 10 Rita's (Don't quote me on that one. But I'm certain on 7 locations.) But, I know that there are 2 in a 5 mile radius where I live.

Iteachwood

Original Poster
Just like DDonuts here in RI....there are 5 whithin a 3 mile radius. You would think 1 or 2 would close down but they all flourish! Whwn we are walking around the parks or are in line for rides. Its incredible how many people who are dripping with sweat say " Id kill for my DD Ice coffee right now"..Who wants to go partners with me??????? Lets open one up on Main St...We will make a KILLING!!!!!!

Phonedave

Franchises operate under strict rules set by corporate, to protect the brand. Otherwise local franchises would tend to cut quality in order to cut costs, running down the brand.

I thought thats what I said (in a much more long winded way)

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Matter of opinion. Krispy Kreme might be better only if you get them within minutes; if they sit for more than 15 minutes they're awful. DDs hold up much better. I've had both, and DDs are better, IMO.
We are a bit spoiled here in Jacksonville because we have the Donut Shop on North University Blvd. They are simply some of the best donuts you will find anywhere. DD, KK and all the others just pale in comparison.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I doubt it.

-dave
Everything you have said is true. The one difference is the water. Water taste, mineral content, etc will vary widely from state to state even city to city and this can have a profound effect on the taste of coffee. The other factor is maintenance especially with DD coffee which is freshly ground. Older dull grinders tend to produce coarser grinds which reduces flavor and ones that are really in bad shape can actually burn the beans.

wizards8507

I doubt it.

Not this.

Regional variation is real with coffee. I worked as a national sourcing analyst for McDonald's last summer, and noting some of their differences, I began asking around at Dunkin Donuts locations near home, my fiancee's house, and the University where I'm in school. While the ingredients are the same, the McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts in the northeast use TWO of those "packs-o-coffee" to brew the iced coffee, while those elsewhere use just one.

I also worked at two different McDonald's franchises for a total of five years, and I can attest to the difference in their brewing processes as well. They don't even use the same stuff, as New England gets Newman's Own Fair Trade coffee, while the rest of the country gets the "McDonald's blend."

wizards8507

Not this.

Regional variation is real with coffee. I worked as a national sourcing analyst for McDonald's last summer, and noting some of their differences, I began asking around at Dunkin Donuts locations near home, my fiancee's house, and the University where I'm in school. While the ingredients are the same, the McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts in the northeast use TWO of those "packs-o-coffee" to brew the iced coffee, while those elsewhere use just one.

I also worked at two different McDonald's franchises for a total of five years, and I can attest to the difference in their brewing processes as well. They don't even use the same stuff, as New England gets Newman's Own Fair Trade coffee, while the rest of the country gets the "McDonald's blend."

Everything you have said is true. The one difference is the water. Water taste, mineral content, etc will vary widely from state to state even city to city and this can have a profound effect on the taste of coffee. The other factor is maintenance especially with DD coffee which is freshly ground. Older dull grinders tend to produce coarser grinds which reduces flavor and ones that are really in bad shape can actually burn the beans.

Wrong. I promise. I'm the guy who brewed the coffee all through high school and for the first two summers of college. I've worked fast food in Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Illinois, plus an internship at McDonald's world headquarters. I'm absolutely positive that the Standard Operating Procedures for coffee are regional, not national standards.

inluvwithbeast

Best donuts I've ever had were from a locally owned shop where all the old farmers in their overalls would come and talk crops and sports. I love KK though, and I can honestly say I don't remember ever eating DD. I don't even know where there is one in the OKC metro. The only time I see them is when I'm visiting my relative 30 mins outside of Chattanooga, TN.

Btw, one of the stands in AK sells an iced chai. More like a frappe really. It's quite yummy.

inluvwithbeast

Wrong. I promise. I'm the guy who brewed the coffee all through high school and for the first two summers of college. I've worked fast food in Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Illinois, plus an internship at McDonald's world headquarters. I'm absolutely positive that the Standard Operating Procedures for coffee are regional, not national standards.

Are you sure? I've worked for a cafe/bakery chain (Panera Bread or St. Louis Bread Co depending where you are) and coffee is standard. It's in all the manuals and the online training videos. I'd assume a place that takes so much pride in their coffee (like P. Bread) would want to keep quality up, therefore keeping variability down.

I'm not really questioning you. I'm just surprised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom