Dumbest Thing You've Heard a Guest Say: Florida Edition

Goofyernmost

That is why this whole topic, amusing as it is, is really about 90% imagination. It's ok to repeat something that we overheard, but, if we really don't have any reference as to why they said it, it become a put down when it should just be a humorous, silly moment.

I remember follow two ladies in the Africa portion of DAK once and they made the comment.... Look at the buildings with the cracks and pieces falling off and the road way with all the cracked pavement, you'd think they could take better care of a new park. Now they could have been oblivious as to the nature of theming or they might have just been speaking sarcastically. Either way it was a funny comment, but, not necessarily a dumb one.

Driver

This happened to another driver friend of mine...... A lady came up to him while he was driving and told him she was turning him in to management, because when he made turns at intersections he crossed the center line with the front of the bus. So he politely tried to explain that the bus is 40' long and to avoid driving over curbs a wide turn is required. " That's no excuse" she replied if I can't do it in my car than you can't do it in a bus just because it's Disney! It's unsafe !

Goofyernmost

This happened to another driver friend of mine...... A lady came up to him while he was driving and told him she was turning him in to management, because when he made turns at intersections he crossed the center line with the front of the bus. So he politely tried to explain that the bus is 40' long and to avoid driving over curbs a wide turn is required. " That's no excuse" she replied if I can't do it in my car than you can't do it in a bus just because it's Disney! It's unsafe !
Not at Disney, but, in the city I used to drive in there were a number of corners that required the nose to go into the oncoming intersection lane. The worst one, the city had staggered stop lines. The one lane that we had to go into to make the turn was set back to give us room to make the turn. People, in all their advanced wisdom, would drive up to the actual intersection because they, of course, wanted to get a jump on the others. One time I was making the turn and came face to face with a driver that had crept up. I motioned for him to back up and he gave me the one finger salute. I happened to have a newspaper that I had been reading during my break along side of my seat so I just set the brake, picked up the paper and opened it and started to read it. (not really reading just pretending) The light changed and I was blocking his way so he couldn't go. The message finally got through and he backed up so I could continue around the corner. Fun times! Yes, of course, he turned me in, but, we had those nifty cameras that showed that I could not back up and he could, but, wouldn't. Needless to say, I never heard another word about it.

UncleMike101

Perhaps she'd be happier if he'd jumped the curb and picked off a few pedestrians. :facepalm:

DisneyMann

"It's supposed to be hot in Florida!"

-person who didn't check the weather and is now walking around in shorts and a tank top in 50 degree January.

It was not warm this past January (24-31) and some of the days were in the 60s and nights in the low 40s. We heard SOOOOO many people complained about what you said.

My wife and I both thought, it's 2018 and you can get the weather ANYWHERE while you're home and if you are cool it's a you problem you moron.

We heard people say they spent over $400 because they weren't prepared for the cold.....OMG

lazyboy97o

When we took our daughter to DLRP she was amazed at the dragon who lived under it in the caves. She was only 4 and was fascinated and called the dragon mummy dragon . Now of course we know it is actually Maleficent, however the nicknames are part of our affectionate memories . EPCOT will always be affectionately known as Apricot , and it definitely has the big golf ball ride. These things make me smile and as my daughter gets older I will treasure these memories .
The dragon actually isn’t Maleficent. It’s just a dragon.

crxbrett

I thought I remember reading that it was originally just supposed to be called Disneyworld, and then after Walt died, Roy renamed it Walt Disney World to honor his brother? Then again, I may have been reading a total fictional, BS story! Hahaha

BoarderPhreak

My family must get a lot of double takes when people hear us talk while we are there. My son was only 2 for his first trip and he could not understand the concept of Walt Disney World until we told him it is where Mickey lives. From then on he told everyone he was "going to Mickey's house." At 6 years old (and 5 trips later) he now knows that the proper name is Walt Disney World but to our family it is affectionately known as "Mickey's house!"
We tell our 3.5 y/o daughter more or less the same thing, and "that's where Minnie, Mickey, Donald... ...live!"

ThanksPhoenicians

Original Poster
I've always thought it rather pretentious to say the whole name every time. And I consider myself pretentious!

"Darling, I'm going to Walt Disney World. It's tres chic."
"You mean Disney World?"
"No, kitten. Walt Disney World."
Yeah, people who insist on jamming Walt in there every time sound like they're filming an ad. I get being formal, but that might be a little too pedantic.

13*Minute*Wait

My wife, little girl, and I were waiting at rope drop for Hollywood Studios a month or so ago. We just happened to be standing next to Mr Know-it-all everything about Disney guy, who is just going on and on about all these precious little facts about everything in WDW, trying to impress everyone standing around him (I admit, I was interested at first, but grew exponentially tired of the trivia after about 15 minutes).

He gets on the subject of merchandise, and singles out my wife (who hasn't previously interacted with this guy up to this point) and proceeds to tell her that the shirt she is wearing isn't official Disney wear. I looked at him and told him that was uncalled for, and that while he thinks he knows everything, that in actuality, we'd just gotten her that shirt yesterday in EPCOT at Mouse Gears, and I was pretty sure it was "official". He replied something about how you can't be too careful when buying Disney merchandise, because there's a lot of fakes out there. :rolleyes:

Thankfully the rope then dropped, and I didn't see this guy the rest of the day. But I've thought to myself, what a jerk...why single out my wife like that, and then end up with egg on your face because you were completely wrong?

ThanksPhoenicians

Original Poster
My wife, little girl, and I were waiting at rope drop for Hollywood Studios a month or so ago. We just happened to be standing next to Mr Know-it-all everything about Disney guy, who is just going on and on about all these precious little facts about everything in WDW, trying to impress everyone standing around him (I admit, I was interested at first, but grew exponentially tired of the trivia after about 15 minutes).

He gets on the subject of merchandise, and singles out my wife (who hasn't previously interacted with this guy up to this point) and proceeds to tell her that the shirt she is wearing isn't official Disney wear. I looked at him and told him that was uncalled for, and that while he thinks he knows everything, that in actuality, we'd just gotten her that shirt yesterday in EPCOT at Mouse Gears, and I was pretty sure it was "official". He replied something about how you can't be too careful when buying Disney merchandise, because there's a lot of fakes out there. :rolleyes:

Thankfully the rope then dropped, and I didn't see this guy the rest of the day. But I've thought to myself, what a jerk...why single out my wife like that, and then end up with egg on your face because you were completely wrong?
I run into a lot of these types of people when I'm there. It's interesting to listen to the inaccuracy of a lot of these Armchair Imagineers.

KBLovedDisney

The dumbest thing I heard was said by me. It was meant all in good fun and as a joke, but it quickly backfired and almost landed me and my family in some hot water. About 2 years ago we were visiting MK on a crowded Sunday, and in line for Pan. It was crowded, I was not in the best of moods, but was there for the wife and kids. Behind us in line was a very chatty couple. They were pleasant people and I am sure meant well. I just wasn't in the mood that day for small talk in a crowded queue. Well the husband taps me on the shoulder and asks where we were visiting from. I didn't want to say Orlando, because this would start the onslaught of questioning "Oh, so how do you like it down here?" "How often do you go to the parks?" So I just shot out a smart-**** response as quickly as I could. I said to the man "We are actually a homeless family who were given free park tickets by some church, and are visiting for the first time." Then I smiled. This shut the man up in a hurry. No more questions, no more small talk. My wife looked embarrassed, and she quietly scolded me later on the ride for making up a jerk answer.

Well, then it all backfired. As we were exiting the ride, I notice not one, but two WDW security waiting just outside the ride exit. At first, I thought they were checking out something across the way at IASW, as they were standing closer to it's entrance. But no, they were staring directly at US. As we walk toward the Tangled and HM area, they begin to follow us. We don't make it to Columbia Harbour House before one tells us we need to come with him. Next thing you know, we are in a WDW security office, myself wife and kiddos. Security tells us just to wait, and would not tell us what this is all about. About ten minutes later 2 OPD officers show up. One tells me I need to show proof of my residency or face possible park eviction or arrest. He says they have been tipped off anonymously that we are homeless. I breath a sigh of relief, and tell them no we are not at all homeless, show my driver's license with address, and explain I made a poor taste joke while in line earlier. Then the officers and security become friendly, apologize for any inconvenience, and let us on our way. It made for a scary few minutes at first, but as my wife tells me I should always think before opening my mouth. :hilarious:
Dude, that was absolutely epic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom