Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

JoeCamel

I really hope this is just another stupid Jim Hill rumor. So if it were to come true, which I hope not, would wdwmagic become dwmagic?

I didn't even think about that, end of an era if so.
Steve would have to change the monograms on the napkins so I doubt it

OTOH it is available for $2500 soooooo

britain

I really hope this is just another stupid Jim Hill rumor. So if it were to come true, which I hope not, would wdwmagic become dwmagic?

Why would it? I mean wdwmagic is just short for “White Dads With Magic” right? I mean, that’s why I’m here.

EeyoreFan#24

I figured it out…..they are laying the groundwork for the 100th retro merchandise collection. Make the name wdw retro by slowing phasing it out and then boom plaster it on everything. They are learning from the Epcot retro sales!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think they should drop “Disney”. Then we’d be getting really, really close

471C4153-4633-461D-86D8-1C8C4CE62913.gif

solidyne

[ETA: This is just a comment about the general drift of this thread and is not directed at the OP. I am glad this topic was introduced!]

It's OK to comment on Jim's track record, but it's not OK to misrepresent what he said on the show.

@lentesta said that there are "rumors going around" that the resort will be renamed to disneyworld

Jim Hill said this has to do with "brand issues" and (paraphrasing) that we're getting closer to how people refer to the park in practice.

That's it. You may wish to infer a comfirmation in Jim's response, but it seemed to me he was speaking about the rumor itself. In any event, I didn't hear either of them refer to a D23 announcement.

Last edited:

VJ

Original Poster
It's OK to comment on Jim's track record, but it's not OK to misrepresent what he said on the show.

@lentesta said that there are "rumors going around" that the resort will be renamed to disneyworld

Jim Hill said this has to do with "brand issues" and (paraphrasing) that we're getting closer to how people refer to the park in practice.

That's it. You may wish to infer a comfirmation in Jim's response, but it seemed to me he was speaking about the rumor itself. In any event, I didn't hear either of them refer to a D23 announcement.
Hi, solidyne! I'm not sure if your post is about me, but I didn't intend to misrepresent what was said on the show (as I explained in a later post, I couldn't find which episode the tidbit was in). I said nothing about Jim's track record - only stressing that it was a rumor at this point as I did as many times as I could in the original post.

If you or Len know where this rumor started, I'll gladly update my original post with the latest information; but the closest I was able to find to a source was the Disney Dish podcast.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder what other names were floated? When the kid asked Bob the former what the new name would be he was puzzled but it seemed there had been some discussions...
Yeah, Iger let slip that DHS was changing its name. Then we heard nothing for a while. Then there were awful names that went out on a survey and were ripped to shreds on social media.

A little while later, a Disney blog post put the rumors to bed by affirming DHS was keeping its name.

I don't believe for a second that any serious consideration is being given to taking the "Walt" out of WDW.

Altho.... WDW has the only castle park not called Disneyland. There's the original Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris, and Disneyland Tokyo, and Disneyland Shanghai, and Disneyland Hong Kong....

Walt Disney World's "Disneyland Orlando" anyone?

JoeCamel

Yeah, Iger let slip that DHS was changing its name. Then we heard nothing for a while. Then there were awful names that went out on a survey and were ripped to shreds on social media.

A little while later, a Disney blog post put the rumors to bed by affirming DHS was keeping its name.

I don't believe for a second that any serious consideration is being given to taking the "Walt" out of WDW.

Altho.... WDW has the only castle park not called Disneyland. There's the original Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris, and Disneyland Tokyo, and Disneyland Shanghai, and Disneyland Hong Kong....

Walt Disney World's "Disneyland Orlando" anyone?
I think those other parks paid to have the land name. Pretty sure it was a line item in the deal

Sir_Cliff

It's amazing how angry people can get based on such a vague statement from a generally unreliable source.

*If* anything like this happens, I think it will be along the lines of what @lazyboy97o mentioned and they will just start using Disney World more and more on marketing materials and merchandising while the official name remains Walt Disney World. As @wdwmagic stated, though, a formal name change seems to have very little upside and, good lord, the worst place on earth to announce that would be D23!

Pepper's Ghost

Nobody had a problem with the new name they gave to Disney Hollywood Studios. People have accepted the new name with no problems.
With all due respect, you joined the forums in 2016. How do you know nobody had a problem with it? I'm not attacking in that question. Just wondering what your source is, sincerely. I wasn't around these boards when they changed the name either. The name change predated my joining the forums by a couple of years, so I can't accurately say if a bunch of folks on here complained about the name change back then.

Btw, I keep reading people saying that Walt never stepped foot in WDW. True, but his direct influence is ALL OVER THE PARK, in so many way including the fact that imagineers he worked with for years designed it with love in the wake of his death as they felt he would've wanted it. They couldn't pull it off as he planned, but they did what they could. The "Florida Project" was his vision, and never would've happened without him. Personally, I'm not taking a side in the debate. I don't think the rumor has enough merit to even debate. I get so worked up about so many things. It's not worth getting worked up about an unrealistic suggestion like this. JMO

Goofyernmost

But "just like any other theme park" different? It's very difficult to take people's criticisms seriously when they're framed in such extreme terms.
You are confusing the physical appearance with the feel and mental texture of the experience. It looks basically the same with some new additions and works in progress but except for occasional periods of inactivity that is the way it has always been, It is true that the magic comes from within us. The feeling within us comes from the atmosphere they created. That part isn't even close to the same. However, Haunted Mansion does indeed looks like it always did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom