Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

Goofyernmost

How much money would they save by dropping the 4 letter prefix and the space before Disney World? Seems like this is the province and wisdom of the bean counter brigade.

Is it conceivable that dropping the "Walt" part is just a prelude to making the parks name more generic so that they can be sold off piecemeal without the baggage of containing an individualized name?

Stupid is as stupid does.
Isn't Disney a name of the guy that started the whole thing?

Californian Elitist

The name has actually been changed, in actions only! They have eliminated all that Walt stood for and did. They have done their best to turn it into "just another theme park", with none of the special Walt Disney touches. It seems like they have been de-Waltatized for a while now. If that really happens, then that kind of says it all about the CEO's mission and vision for Walt Disney World, and that is very sad, IMO.
What special Walt Disney touches?

Kamikaze

It would be absolutely insane to make an announcement at a fan convention of this. It can only go badly. There is no way you'd get a 'good' reaction from that crowd of dropping 'Walt'.

I can certainly see it in the possibility of something they would do, but if they want the least possible backlash and reaction, it should be a Friday afternoon press release about 'rebranding', not an 'announcement' at D23.

Indy_UK

They’ll spin this with rubbish that it isn’t Walt’s Disney world, it’s everyone’s Disney world and YOU are the magic… not Walt lol

Kamikaze

They’ll spin this with rubbish that it isn’t Walt’s Disney world, it’s everyone’s Disney world and YOU are the magic… not Walt lol
Which is true that it really isn't Walt's since he never stepped foot there, but it was named in tribute. So you're effectively saying 'Your tribute is worthless to the almighty branding machine'

On the plus side, Jim Hill doesn't have any sources any more, so this is most likely false.

Mods, if you're going to edit my posts, at least do something other than just leave the thought as an open ended sentence.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Also, I would be surprised if they actually announced in a release or actual made a point of it in a presentation. I’d think if they did do this, we would just hear them start calling certain things Disneyworld during the presentations and that would be the “announcement”
If an announcement were made of such a thing, I image it would be about any sort of associated new graphic identity. More of a “Check out this amazing new logo for Disneyworld!”

Epcot82Guy

I agree this sounds ridiculous. The only logical version of this I can think of is to launch a formal branding initiative to ensure they have trademark protection for both Walt Disney World and Disney World. They clearly have what they need to register Walt Disney World. Disney World may be a little less clear. And, the policing question is a whole other issue for both, though especially Disney World as a TM. (Think about "Disney World" in Etsy shops and the like.)

With that, it should then be a co-branding strategy. They company will have clear use cases for each, and it would probably result in some uses disappearing to be replaced with "Disney World". But, you would see (and need to see) both. I can't imagine them attempting to retire and, thus, abandon the Walt Disney World mark.

If a legal TM enforcement issue isn't underlying this decision, then this would be just, plain stupid IMHO.

SoFloMagic

Unless the place is now unrecognisable compared to what I experienced when I visited in February 2020, this is really hyperbolic. WDW is still very special, and by no means just another theme park.
They're not unrecognizable from pre-covid, but they're fundamentally different.

donaldtoo

Probably already been posted (haven’t read the whole thread), but, IIRC, it was originally going to be called “Disney World”. Roy O. insisted the “Walt” be added to reflect the fact that it was all Walt’s original dream. Based on that alone, IMO, it should stay as is.
Beyond that, I can’t even speculate what the reasoning for removing “Walt” would be…?! 🤔
Unless, it’s the beginning of a slow roll to an eventual “Bob Chapek World”…???!!!!! :eek:o_O:D🤣:hilarious:;)

the_rich

Probably already been posted (haven’t read the whole thread), but, IIRC, it was originally going to be called “Disney World”. Roy O. insisted the “Walt” be added to reflect the fact that it was all Walt’s original dream. Based on that alone, IMO, it should stay as is.
Beyond that, I can’t even speculate what the reasoning for changing it would be…?! 🤔
Unless, it’s the beginning of a slow roll to an eventual “Bob Chapek World”…???!!!!! :eek:o_O:D🤣:hilarious:;)
That was always the story I heard about the name.

drizgirl

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom