Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

el_super

I think its just a corporate synergy plan. They think its more modern and clean to be DISNEY instead of named after an old dead guy.

There is definitely a good case to be made for making a distinction between things made by Walt Disney, things named after Walt Disney and things that are made by the Walt Disney Company.

Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room and Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress make sense, because he worked on them and saw them through to completion.

Disney's [Insert Name] Resort can draw the incorrect conclusion that Walt worked on them, or that they had some significance to Disney the person, when they didn't.

So to be honest, removing Walt's name could be just a different way to show respect to the person as an individual and attribute things correctly to him. Not to dilute the name to just the brand. It's not necessarily a bad thing, or a sign that they don't care about the old dead guy.

But the source is someone I dont trust on anything, so I dont believe its happening.

Yeah there's that too..

Yeah, they wasted money on something that worked just fine and people have not largely noticed. There was no legal reason that gave them years to slowly change the branding on some things.

I will be honest here: I always thought there had to be more behind it, because it was a lot of money to spend for almost nothing.

Also fun fact: I just double checked thinking they had removed the apostrophe from the GCH but not PPH, and see that the apostrophe's are listed for both properties. So maybe DCA was the only thing that lost it?

LittleBuford

Maybe I missed it. Care to recount it?

I saw some theories but that’s it.
It was posted by @GiveMeTheMusic over in the Disneyland “Miscellaneous Thought” thread but was subsequently deleted along with several other posts. You were participating in that thread at the time, so I thought you saw it; please accept my apologies if that isn’t the case.

I can’t recall the post exactly, but it basically stated that the celebration was very pared down and hastily put together and that the speech was simply omitted through oversight/negligence rather than because of any deliberate or emerging policy.

JohnD

They have been removing apostrophes because of marketing and branding. Possessive trademarks weren’t negated.

Not so sure about that. Look at two of the parks and most of the resorts which are preceded by "Disney's". Regarding parks, "Magic Kingdom Park", and "EPCOT" are so specific they can be trademarked as is. The other two parks require "Disney's" to brand them to Disney: "Disney's Hollywood Studios", "Disney's Animal Kingdom Park".

drizgirl

It was posted by @GiveMeTheMusic over in the Disneyland “Miscellaneous Thought” thread but was subsequently deleted along with several other posts. You were participating in that thread at the time, so I thought you saw it; please accept my apologies if that isn’t the case.

I can’t recall the post exactly, but it basically stated that the celebration was very pared down and hastily put together and that the speech was simply omitted through oversight/negligence rather than because of any deliberate or emerging policy.

I didn't see any of that. I'm juggling lots of balls throughout any given day and only have short bits of time to read or post. I miss most of what's posted after about noon most days. And if stuff is being deleted, then no I definitely didn't see it.

Appreciate the chastising though.

Castle Cake Apologist

Well, it’s better than going down the conspiracy-theory rabbit hole. The number of angry posts/threads blaming every last thing on “wokeness” is out of control.

Oh, I couldn't agree more with the last sentence.

I'm speaking more on a matter of principle. It's a pretty damning indictment of the actual level of respect held within the company for the man that they somehow forgot to include him.

LittleBuford

Oh, I couldn't agree more with the last sentence.

I'm speaking more on a matter of principle. It's a pretty damning indictment of the actual level of respect held within the company for the man that they somehow forgot to include him.
I’ll cut them some slack while they get back to normal. My understanding is that staff shortages remain a big issue.

lazyboy97o

Not so sure about that. Look at two of the parks and most of the resorts which are preceded by "Disney's". Regarding parks, "Magic Kingdom Park", and "EPCOT" are so specific they can be trademarked as is. The other two parks require "Disney's" to brand them to Disney: "Disney's Hollywood Studios", "Disney's Animal Kingdom Park".
Even generic words and phrases can be trademarked. Gap isn’t exact a unique name. But I don’t know what this has to do with my comment. I was referring to the change of branding where things were generally Disney’s Whatever to Disney Whatever. In most cases it’s just branding. The home media sleeve of Pinocchio went from reading Disney’s Pinocchio to Disney Pinocchio. Disney’s California Adventure was actually renamed to Disney California Adventure. The urban legend is that Disney had to make this change due to some sort of intellectual property rights issue, but it was slow and spread out over years, starting small with Disney Channel properties.

The “problem” was a supposed lack of consistency. It got into the heads of senior leadership that it was a problem that some things were just Disney (Disney Princesses, a huge consumer products line at the time), some things were Disney’s (Disney’s Animal Kingdom) and some things were The Disney (The Disney Store). It was decided that going forward they were slowly make evening just Disney Whatever. It largely stopped at the parks when they realized it sounds dumb and is a lot more expensive to change the name of physical places, but as mentioned seems to be starting up again at Disneyland Paris.

Minnesota disney fan

Let me just start out by saying this is a rumor from Jim Hill's Disney Dish podcast and should be taken with a very big spoonful of salt (that doesn't help the medicine go down at all).

If this rumor is to be believed, Bob Chapek and Josh D'Amaro plan to announce that "Walt Disney World" will become "Disney World" at D23 Expo next month.
The name has actually been changed, in actions only! They have eliminated all that Walt stood for and did. They have done their best to turn it into "just another theme park", with none of the special Walt Disney touches. It seems like they have been de-Waltatized for a while now. If that really happens, then that kind of says it all about the CEO's mission and vision for Walt Disney World, and that is very sad, IMO.

EeyoreFan#24

I agree with some of you who say this is probably an alignment to the other park “products” names. I also hope it’s along the lines of a secondary logo or more of a minor marketing thing for when a shorter name makes sense. An overall erasemet of Walt from the name would be a huge mistake.

Also, I would be surprised if they actually announced in a release or actual made a point of it in a presentation. I’d think if they did do this, we would just hear them start calling certain things Disneyworld during the presentations and that would be the “announcement”

Goofyernmost

Is it crazy that I wouldn’t be shocked
I would. Most people have already been calling it Disney World anyway and the cost to change all the merchandise and signage would put Chappy into a coma. Besides just one more generation and no one will have any idea who that Walt guy is anyway, if that hasn't already happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom